• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Need a simple CAD drawing, or something similar.

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Could anyone render me up a CAD drawing, or drawing on a smilar program of a muzzle profile?

Its for the .338 SureFire Suppressor/QD Muzzle Brake, which SureFire has no schematic of.

Details HERE

Heres my megar attempt, something a tad more profesional is what I'm after.
Let the chuckling commence....

muzzlecontour.jpg

Re: Need a simple CAD drawing, or something similar.

I would be happy to help. I run a Tool & Die machine shop and have MasterCam X3. I can draw it for you and convert to any foremat you need. My direct work E-Mail is [email protected]

Jay Seaquist

Semper Fi 79-82

Hey Jay, much appreciated. Let me know if you need anything from my end....

PM Inbound.

i am a cad retard but i have found e-machine shop to have very user friendly cad software. it is free to download and will do renderings. it will not render threads, that i have found yet. this drawing probably took less than 10 minutes to complete. you can make a drawing and they will give you a price for them to machine your part. i have not had any work done by them but use their software to get renderings of my ideas before i carve them out of metal.

here is a rendering of a barrel profile i did the other day when trying to figure out what a barrel i am planning was going to weigh. it is stepped down for surefire's 30 cal adapter.

barrelcontourwithsurefirestepdown.jpg

one more thing, your drawing is wrong with the 2.75" measurement. that needs to be from the muzzle back, not that shoulder. surefire tech support sucks when you try and ask how long they recommend the threaded section so you can figure out the rest of the dimensions. they tried to tell me that since it was a 5/8-24 thread, that meant the thread was 5/8" long and there were 24 threads in that 5/8 of an inch
smirk.gif

Howdy Robert,
I see you have been around this rose bush befor. I am going to call surefire this morning, wish me luck! Thanks for the input. Oh ya,,,How did thoes brake blanks work out for you?

Wheres-Waldo,
I followed that link you gave me and there just isent enough info. I will call surefire this morning. Robert was correct about that 2.75 Dim. If I can get an answer out of them I will send the drawing in a jpeg latter this morning.

Jay Seaquist

Roger that Jay. I might call them up and mention they need to have/make/keep a schematic in-house, atleast to send out with their product.

300, are you running this brake? The 338 brake? If so, could I trouble you for a snap-shot of your muzzle profile?

I know the .338 brake and the .30 Cal, 6.8mm and 5.56mm brakes require a different thread pattern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Seaquist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Howdy Robert,
I see you have been around this rose bush befor. I am going to call surefire this morning, wish me luck! Thanks for the input. Oh ya,,,How did thoes brake blanks work out for you?Jay Seaquist </div></div>

the brake blanks are still sitting in the box. i went back to work at my real job so they got put on the back burner for a bit. it has been close to 100* here lately so it is real hard to get motivated on the weekends to go work in an uninsulated metal building these days. a friend is begging for one so i need to get on them soon.

i have had my own issues with and have heard a few complaints now about surefire's tech support. good luck with the call. i'd like to hear what you find out.

robert.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
300, are you running this brake? The 338 brake? If so, could I trouble you for a snap-shot of your muzzle profile?

I know the .338 brake and the .30 Cal, 6.8mm and 5.56mm brakes require a different thread pattern. </div></div>

that drawing was for a 5/8-24 adapter on an 18.5" mtu contour barrel. i could do one for the .338 real quick when i get home from work today. if you want to let me know about your barrel contour i could make it a bit more accurate.

Matt,

SureFire does have a spec sheet with drawings for their suppressor adapters. I keep it and the AAC specs posted next to a lathe in my shop.

I will email you the file. Look it over and call if you have any questions.

O.K. Here ya go. I spoke with Howard @ Surefire and he told me 5/8 inch thread length. I made the drawing to that.

If I were you I would take Terry Cross up on his offer and at least double check I got the correct info.

Have a good one.

Barrel-1.jpg

Jay Seaquist

Im pretty sure I got what I needed from Terry. Thanks guys.

By the way 300, threads arent displayed with eMachineShop, they are denoted with a small dot at the end of the hole or shaft.

Also, have you ever priced something you drafted up?!?
I made a bolt handle for my action in 4130 steel....$345.00

Pricey.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way 300, threads arent displayed with eMachineShop, they are denoted with a small dot at the end of the hole or shaft.

Also, have you ever priced something you drafted up?!?
I made a bolt handle for my action in 4130 steel....$345.00

</div></div>

that's what i found also with a threaded section on their software. and yep, they are expensive for one off's. the price gets cheaper for larger quantities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None of these three visualizations can be use for manufacturing.
Are you Buyers.
Are you guys that want to learn? </div></div>

i just went over this thread again and i'm still not sure what you mean. what is missing from jay's drawing that couldn't be used for manufacturing? i also know a .dxf file of my drawing would have all the information needed for me to make the part.

i am a guy who wants to learn so please fill me in.

He is probabley refering to tollerances, surface finish and no end view.

I too would be interested in hearing his assesment as my drawings have been used for manufacturing for 25 years and counting. Of course that is not a complete drawing but suficiant for any compatent machinist to thread and step a barrel.

Typically threads are only drawn in 3D, surface or solids type drawings. They can be represented in 2D drawings in a hand full of ways, mine is but one.

Jay Seaquist

Cool, let's work together on this!
What we have shared so for are "print screens", not files.
We are all using different programs that the others don't know.

Here is a link to a program for cheap/free.
https://www.alibre.com/
They just put up this offer, and changed their site.
Basic is free, just haven't found link yet.
Don't buy from sales. I usually get better deals through my contact. (pm for info)

We also have Gibb's and Solidworks, plus a couple others we use in a pinch.

I've talked enough for now!

sure these are just screen shots. screen shots of cad files that could be used to build off of. i personally don't know how to share a cad file over an internet forum, or if there even is a way. they're better sent through an email. i shouldn't speak for him but i'm sure jay would be happy to email the file if he was asked. jay has been a great help to me in the past.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sure these are just screen shots. screen shots of cad files that could be used to build off of. i personally don't know how to share a cad file over an internet forum, or if there even is a way. they're better sent through an email. i shouldn't speak for him but i'm sure jay would be happy to email the file if he was asked. jay has been a great help to me in the past. </div></div>

Thanks, you are right.
I just tried in my format too.

We are a team with questions and problems.

We need to figure out solutions!

Re: Need a simple CAD drawing, or something simila

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sure these are just screen shots. screen shots of cad files that could be used to build off of. i personally don't know how to share a cad file over an internet forum, or if there even is a way. they're better sent through an email. i shouldn't speak for him but i'm sure jay would be happy to email the file if he was asked. jay has been a great help to me in the past. </div></div>

When a cad program saves a file it will save a secondary file with it. If you email both those files with it you can do whatever you want to the part. If you need help give me a call.

Thanks, I didn't know that.
We are used to working with whatever kind of e-info we get.
If the drawing is right, the part will be.
Many customers=many formats.

I was gonna call, but forgot what was doing when checked for number on your profile.

I have been on the road traveling and find myself bored at the kids house in northern Idaho. But tomorrow I will go hit 3 army surplus stores and Cabela's.

I use mastercam X3 almost exclusivley. I started out with pencil, drafting table and sliding T-square. Thank god times have changed. I also use solidworks and bobcad but not very often. mastercam is a very powerful CAM program than drawing but works fine with practice. I draw 2D, 3D, wire frames, surfaces and solids.

I send a lot of files back and forth to customers and overseas suppliers. These days or at least in the field I am in we just don't use paper prints any more. I do part design and designing and building plastic injection molds.

To send CAD files via the internet is simple. Everybody does not need to have the same CAD program but must simply convert to the format the reciepiant can open. Mastercam allows me to convert incoming or out going CAD files to about twenty different formats. So this covers most everybodys stuff. And if I don't have the specific one you can always use a common generic like (.igs .dxf .dwg) People on the other end can then convert to what they support.

Your higher end CAD programs do this but the lower end ones donot to the best of my knowledge.

Jay Seaquist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am a cad retard but i have found e-machine shop to have very user friendly cad software. it is free to download and will do renderings. it will not render threads, that i have found yet. this drawing probably took less than 10 minutes to complete. you can make a drawing and they will give you a price for them to machine your part. i have not had any work done by them but use their software to get renderings of my ideas before i carve them out of metal.

here is a rendering of a barrel profile i did the other day when trying to figure out what a barrel i am planning was going to weigh. it is stepped down for surefire's 30 cal adapter.

barrelcontourwithsurefirestepdown.jpg
</div></div>

Interesting site, I'll have to see about doing up a few items I've been looking at having made.

I had a play last week with e-machine shop and did up this concept muzzle brake, its basicly a slim profiled AI suppressor brake. Its an interesting program that took a bit to figure out, but this is the first time Ive ever played with CAD. Frustratingly good fun. The lack of being able to display threads or even differentiate between internal and external thraeds is a bit of a pain to.

JJ

brake2side2.jpg

Threads are not a problen, if properly noted.
Draw part with proper major or minor.
We prefer to form tap id's
Tap drill will be bigger, but form can be held tighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RGraff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You form tap in steel? </div></div>

Yes you can form tap in a few different types of steel.

We form tap more than cut.
Blind holes without any chips.
Most effective way is to rigid tap.
Can also be done with a tapping head in a cnc, or with a tapping head in a drill press.
By playing with the hole size, lube, and H# You can change the gauging of the thread.
Thank's Guys.