• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need a single phase to three phase converter

Fritzcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
Texas Tyler
Wanting to put a lathe at my house and need a add-a-phase rotory converter to supply a lathe I have access to. 7.5 HP Any help appriated.

Re: Need a single phase to three phase converter

Yes my lathe motor is 7.5. From what little I have searched, it seems to recomend a rotory converter for a motor. What brand is yous DocEd

VFD is the way to go if you can afford one. The problem with motors that are over 5HP, you need to double the HP rating on the VFD to handle single phase in and three phase out. This may be prohibitively expensive, and there is a possibility that you won't even be able to find one that can do single phase input at that high of a HP rating. For the rotary you will want your idler motor to be at least the same HP or greater that your lathe is. I looked at them assembled on eBay for a decent price, but if you have the where-withall to build one yourself you can come out ahead. There are some very simple designs that work, as well as some much more complex.

DD

I got the converter to use to make my wood lathe adjustable speed from friesen_auctions on e-bay. Good to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritzcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanting to put a lathe at my house and need a add-a-phase rotory converter to supply a lathe I have access to. 7.5 HP Any help appriated. </div></div>

I have a 10hp Phoenix that I'm no longer using. Had to step up to a 40 hp to handle all of the larger machines. It's about 2 years old and is just siting....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a 10hp Phoenix that I'm no longer using. Had to step up to a 40 hp to handle all of the larger machines. It's about 2 years old and is just siting....</div></div>

There ya go, that is about perfect for a 7.5HP motor

CDI do you mean a static phase converter suffers from horsepower loss and speeds up the demise of the motor? A rotary phase converter takes two legs from single phase and produces the third phase if I remember right. You sedn two legs into the 3 phase machine from a 220 source and the third from the rotary phase converter. Would this render the machine blind to where the juice is coming from?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CDI do you mean a static phase converter suffers from horsepower loss and speeds up the demise of the motor? A rotary phase converter takes two legs from single phase and produces the third phase if I remember right. You sedn two legs into the 3 phase machine from a 220 source and the third from the rotary phase converter. Would this render the machine blind to where the juice is coming from? </div></div>

oneeyedmac, you're asking the perfect question. Power loss from a static phase converter is a problem because the third phase is produced electronically. The frequency of the AC output is not true AC and if you were to look at it on an O-scope, you would see more of a square wave, not a sine wave. Most AC motors (those without switching circuits on the input) appreciate a true 60 cycle sine wave. A rotary phase converter produces the third leg as you mention and because it is produced from a source that has "generator" qualities, the output is a true 60 cycle sine wave. There is still a little power loss, but there is no damage to the motor that is running off the rotary generator. There are large capacitors involved that take the hit when the lathe or mill or whatever is powered up and this enables the motor operating off of the rotary generator to power up smoothly.

Thanks Mike for the good info, that is my understanding from the google search, but I have not been around any of these. I understand that the VFD uses electronics to convert, so seems to have more maintainence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritzcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Mike for the good info, that is my understanding from the google search, but I have not been around any of these. I understand that the VFD uses electronics to convert, so seems to have more maintainence. </div></div>

Yep....The VFD is a good system, but much better to go rotary....

I service industrial wood working equipment for a living. Get a rotary phase converter, 10hp.

Losing some power/efficiency through the phase converter is no big deal. I Have many customers that have been using phase converters for years without any noticeable loss of power or premature motor failures as long as the phase converter is sized properly.

Pulling 3ph to your house (residential?) would be cost prohibitive, that is if the utility provider would even do it.

There is a lot of info available on this at practicalmachinist.com. They have an entire forum dedicated to phase converters of different types. I have a relatively small shop and the rotary phase converter serves me well.

I have used American Rotary a number of times and have been quite happy with their products. Could run a 25hp woodmizer and a 10hp blower at the same time off of a 30 hp converter and a 200 amp service. The 10 hp converter I have right now is quiet enough in the shop that I sometimes forget to turn it off when walking out the door. Buy one that is CNC stable in case you decide to go that route later on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a lot of info available on this at practicalmachinist.com. They have an entire forum dedicated to phase converters of different types. I have a relatively small shop and the rotary phase converter serves me well. </div></div>

+1.... I built my own rotary by doing a lot of reading, and buying an electrician friend of mine some dinners and beer....
mine is still going strong after 4+ years and all three lines are within 1 volt under load... just takes some patience...

On a side not, and please correct me if I am wrong....
I thought VFD's converted the incoming AC to DC and then output clean 3 phase AC via an inverter?
I was under the impression they were specifically designed for equipment that was sensitive to input power fluctuations.. (high power lasers/CNC equip, etc....)

I called our shop this AM, unfortunately don't have anything used that large. Call the electric motor shops in your area.

Thanks KevinU, I found a shop that will build me one, but I am still sooking for a motor to build it myself.