• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need a smith to put a brake on a marlin.

Quicky06

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2008
St. Louis
Ive got a new Marlin 1895 SBL that I need to put a brake on.

Long story short I bought the gun because it was shiny and it kicks like a SOB with my bad shoulder.

Normally I would send it to GAP considering how good and fast of a job they did on my 700 but they turned me down already.

So I am looking for a smith to put a brake on it so I can enjoy shooting this thing. Preferably near St. Louis, MO and not in IL.

Its a 45-70 my only concern is the length of the barrel in front of the front dovetail. Im worried about having enough thread length. here are some dimensions:

Barrel DIA: .773"

Distance between dovetail and barrel end: 1/2"

the brake would also have to be flush with the brake until it passes the magazine tube which is .300" from the end of the barrel.

Heres a link to the rifle my camera is broken

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895SBL.asp

Any help or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need a smith to put a brake on a marlin.

A muzzle brake will not perform very well on a 45-70 due to the lower pressure at the muzzle that the large bore gives you.
Muzzle brakes depend on pressure (LOTS OF IT) at the muzzle to work.
The bigger the bore and the longer the barrel, the lower the pressure at the muzzle.

What may help with the muzzle rise is porting the top of the barrel.
That won't chance the recoil energy, but it whould keep it from jumping as much.

Have you already upgraded to a better recoil pad?

I think you're looking for magna porting, not an add-on/threaded brake. Does the same function, but if your google-fu is good, you'll find someone to do this for you.

Im not a fan of porting a barrel especially one this short. A brake I can take off if I want to, porting not so much. the flip Isnt an issue its the mule kicking me in the shoulder. i know im whinning but Im trying to make this rifle more enjoyable to shoot for long periods of time.

The SBL comes with a good recoil pad believe it or not, feels the same as the limb savers i have on my other rifles.

I dont think lack of a pressure is a huge problem, my heavy loads are pushing 405gn cast at 1900+fps out of an 18 1/2" barrel. even factory loads push 325 gn at 2000+

if you relate that to a 308 pushing 175gn at 2500 I bet the pressure would be greater in the 45-70

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quicky06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
if you relate that to a 308 pushing 175gn at 2500 I bet the pressure would be greater in the 45-70
</div></div>

Why would you say that?