• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a Solution to "I'll take it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    The scammers are watching the PX and when you post interest or worse an "I'll take it" they stomp...

The scammers can easily adjust the name, maybe I can make it they can't change the name, but it needs to go beyond that as they will make a new account with the sellers name pre adjusted

I catch a bunch with the Spam filter, but they just change the way they address it. Now they are using ' in the front or back of the name

So I need a solution to ID these guys faster for members

Guys think they are talking to seller it's the scammers instead as they live on the site vs the sellers who only check the accounts

I killed IP addresses but with VPN it blends into ready accounts

Give me a better solution to I'll take it so they can't see it

Is there a way you can have it setup where changes require a waiting period. Like a new account requires approval as well as any changes to existing accounts? Say 48 hours

By the time the change would go through the transaction should be completed or in the works already

Reactions: rlsmith1
    Ya I am gonna email them about it, but the issue is, they will simply make a new account which is good, I can see those easier, but not every one of them will flagged by the system

I would almost say, post and lock but people will ask questions

One thing I’d do is completely eliminate the WTB option in the px. I know we tell people not to post them. But there’s always people who don’t pay attention and by having the option of WTB in there they do it anyways

Had a couple guys in last few days nailed with those

Reactions: myronman3
    Ya I am gonna email them about it, but the issue is, they will simply make a new account which is good, I can see those easier, but not every one of them will flagged by the system

I would almost say, post and lock but people will ask questions
    If theres a waiting period a new account will simply have a hold on it for 48 hours in an “awaiting approval” status. Even if it doesn’t require approval necessarily to make the account a waiting period would still exist

Same if you changed the name on an existing account. Just have a “awaiting approval” on it for 48 hours until the new name is implemented.

I’m going to assume most of these scams occur within minutes of the “I’ll take it” post. Before the actual seller has a chance to reach out

It's no longer just WTB, it's "I'll take it"

They spoof the accounts in the PX and immediately PM the "I'll take it guys" as the seller and next thing you know they send money believing they are interacting with the seller

They scan the PX and create fake accounts who then immediately contact interested parties

I can probably delay new accounts, but I wonder if changing the account format would highlight it has no posts

Like we need something obvious that says, hey the guy selling is a Supporter the guy contacting you is not he just has a similar name

so maybe changing new accounts to they look completely different might be easier

Give all new accounts a badge that says “probable scammer” for 5 days… until they have made 500 posts in technical fora (not Bear pit or PX, etc). Once they have achieved the 500 posts, a poll auto-generates in the Bearpit- “Username _____, Real or Memorex?”

Last edited:
    Perhaps new accounts, and account name changes, should all require Admin/Mod approval first... The delay would help to some degree. Maybe require a new member's first 100 posts be approved first.

The 48 hour delay for approval may help. I've heard that's common on some other forums. Usually a PX post attractive enough that people worry about being first is concluded within 48 hours. Frank, you do have my sympathy. Scammers must be such a pain in the ass.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Honestly locking the thread to the OP only will solve this problem completely. Also using the software to limit the bumps to 48 hrs will also help abuse (taking the load off the moderators). If any clarifications are needed to the original post (brought to the OP attention via PM) he can edit that post.

Like we need something obvious that says, hey the guy selling is a Supporter the guy contacting you is not he just has a similar name

Is there a verification process or waiting period for supporters?

I just forsee a scammer paying the $20 to complete the look.

$20 is cheap if you are fleecing someone for a few grand.

I don't recall signing up, but can you add a cell phone number requirement with verification before signing up? It would also get rid of the ban, resign up deal. As only one account can be tied to one phone number. That way when you ban, you are banning the cell number and not just the IP.

I don't recall signing up, but can you add a cell phone number requirement with verification before signing up? It would also get rid of the ban, resign up deal. As only one account can be tied to one phone number. That way when you ban, you are banning the cell number and not just the IP.
    Google #s are free, infinite and can be made to appear from any country or state.

Disabling PMs for a time (24hrs to 48hrs) after the user has (a) been created or (b) changed their username seems like it would be best.

As others have said, don't be lazy and contact the seller directly rather than waiting for them to reach out.

ETA: replied below

Last edited:
    Reactions: BurtG
    The issue with time, they can create accounts that just move past the time factor

Time is easy for them as they are using dozen of fake accounts, so they can sit for the delay period and then just have stuff constantly in the space to be OK to post

It's like putting in multiple suppressors to the queue, once you have the first cleared waiting for the rest is easy

Time is on their side

Google #s are free infinite an can be made to appear from any country or state.
    Hell, in some countries you can change your own cell number to reflect any number you want when you dial out.

I used to make my phone display the 1SG number and text my buddy to come see him.

I agree phone numbers are not a good mix

The scammers are watching the PX and when you post interest or worse an "I'll take it" they stomp...

The scammers can easily adjust the name, maybe I can make it they can't change the name, but it needs to go beyond that as they will make a new account with the sellers name pre adjusted

I catch a bunch with the Spam filter, but they just change the way they address it. Now they are using ' in the front or back of the name

So I need a solution to ID these guys faster for members

Guys think they are talking to seller it's the scammers instead as they live on the site vs the sellers who only check the accounts

I killed IP addresses but with VPN it blends into ready accounts

Give me a better solution to I'll take it so they can't see it
    Is there any way to make a 'verified' badge that only you can put on an account? Sort of like the Twitter check mark?
    People who are paying members in the exchange get one. If you get contacted by someone without it...

Should be fairly easy to run searches on the username database to return close duplicates. Maybe rather than doing a strict username match "Username ABC already exists" a broader requirement could be implemented. "A username that closely matches ABC already exists". Essentially don't let usernames be duplicated with 75% accuracy or something. ABC is a real user, and 1ABC, *ABC, ABC4, etc. could not be used. To use my username, 'rlsmith1 or rlsmith1. would be rejected because it would be an 89% match to rlsmith1. I think you already so, but ignoring capitalization really simplifies things too

Is there any way to make a 'verified' badge that only you can put on an account? Sort of like the Twitter check mark?
    People who are paying members in the exchange get one. If you get contacted by someone without it...
    Except, as Frank said above, being a paying member doesn’t mean that they are not a scammer.

I need automated solutions as we can't be hiring someone to "run the PX" and act like an administrator

Nobody wants more fees,

Put a button on all ads in the PX that says "I'll take it." That auto sends a PM to the seller when someone hits it.

Nothing for a scammer to see when someone hits the button and the seller can just go by time stamp.

Ban WTB ads.

Google #s are free, infinite and can be made to appear from any country or state.
    Put an email with it too. Two-step verification. Ban the number, email, and IP. Seems like an easy start, see if it slows it down.

Locking the thread such that only the OP can post would seem to eliminate the I’ll take it conundrum. Buyers would then be anonymous to the forum, but known to the seller via the PM they send. Of course, this just moves the scam from the buyer to the seller.

Reactions: UKDslayer
    It's not just "I'll take it". Here's a new alarming scam that happened to me yesterday. Had a hide member PM me about a text I sent to him regarding the purchase of a firearm I had for sale in the PX. Thing is, it wasn't me. He had seen this person's interest in a firearm I had for sale a year ago in the PX and contacted him by text offering to sell him the firearm. Somehow, he had gotten the individuals phone number and posed as me in a text. When the buyer asked the scammer to contact him by phone, the scammer sent him a phone number. When the buyer contacted the scammer, a man with heavily accented Spanish spoke to him. The buyer had seen me in some of the video's and knew I didn't speak with a Spanish accent and PM'ed me on the Hide to ask what was going on. We talked on the phone and got it all straightened out. However, the scammer offered to SBR the firearm in question. My next step is sure to alarm some hide members. I'm not really comfy with someone out there using my name to illegally sell firearms, let alone NFA firearms. I notified the ATF that there is someone out there using my identity to try and scam/sell firearms. Fun Fact: I called the ATF Hotline and got an answering machine. Haven't heard back from the ATF.

Moral of the story. Only the buyer can prevent scams. Talk to the seller on the phone. For firearms, contact the FFL to see if they have ever heard of the buyer. I had one scammer send me a legit FFL but the scammer had gotten hold of the dealers ffl. This was the old here's the ffl, I'm going to send you extra money because (insert scam here) and just mail me the difference back.

Except, as Frank said above, being a paying member doesn’t mean that they are not a scammer.
    If the 'verified' is done with stipulations...automatic... if you get 'verified' that is with your user name that is verified. Once they are verified name changes on those accounts can be restricted to having to wait say 30 days to make a user name change.

Edit: that would at least put an end to them getting into other people's threads....but would not prevent them from starting their own.

Or see if you can make the responses to the sale ad ONLY viewable to the seller? Kind of like when you post an ad, everyone is on ignore to everyone else. The seller and admins are the only ones who can see it all?

That still leaves time stamps for the seller to go off of versus a PM

You can only do so much. Some are just natural marks. How many times have you said to stop posting WTB ads?? Every time I scan the PX there's new ones. Obviously you have to try but damn, some just ask for it.
    You'll never stop the scam attempts. The only solution I see is:

1-Insist on a phone conversation
    2-Insist on a photo of the actual object with today's newspaper showing the date.

If they wont do those two, walk away.

3-Except for guns, dont be cheap, pay the 3% Paypal fee and protect yourself.
    4-If possible do a FTF.
    5-Check for feedback. If they have none, be extra careful, seek some type of verification. Look at the length of time here and # of posts.

If a FTF isnt possible pay a bit more and insist they ship the gun FROM a verified FFL that you can send the money to, to your FFL. Yeah, its more headache and expense, but a lot less than getting ripped off for you hard earned cash. and having to whine about it to the mods or start the old thread

XYZ is a crook

It's not just "I'll take it". Here's a new alarming scam that happened to me yesterday. Had a hide member PM me about a text I sent to him regarding the purchase of a firearm I had for sale in the PX. Thing is, it wasn't me. He had seen this person's interest in a firearm I had for sale a year ago in the PX and contacted him by text offering to sell him the firearm. Somehow, he had gotten the individuals phone number and posed as me in a text. When the buyer asked the scammer to contact him by phone, the scammer sent him a phone number. When the buyer contacted the scammer, a man with heavily accented Spanish spoke to him. The buyer had seen me in some of the video's and knew I didn't speak with a Spanish accent and PM'ed me on the Hide to ask what was going on. We talked on the phone and got it all straightened out. However, the scammer offered to SBR the firearm in question. My next step is sure to alarm some hide members. I'm not really comfy with someone out there using my name to illegally sell firearms, let alone NFA firearms. I notified the ATF that there is someone out there using my identity to try and scam/sell firearms. Fun Fact: I called the ATF Hotline and got an answering machine. Haven't heard back from the ATF.

Moral of the story. Only the buyer can prevent scams. Talk to the seller on the phone. For firearms, contact the FFL to see if they have ever heard of the buyer. I had one scammer send me a legit FFL but the scammer had gotten hold of the dealers ffl. This was the old here's the ffl, I'm going to send you extra money because (insert scam here) and just mail me the difference back.

This is a google search to find the number

Numbers can be linked to emails and such, we had a couple of people claim they were sent a text message

We have no system for phone numbers so unless you sent a scammer a number to call, what they do is a google search trying to link to the accounts

If you get an unsolicited text or email, or PM that is a real red flag and anyone you spoke too should be a report ticket

But they will search your email etc it's how they find accounts to Hack, they are not hacking the site, they are finding accounts on hacked lists from bigger hacks. So they know your password, find the same email, test the compromised email with the compromised password and if they get lucky the change the email and password so your account is their account

They are not HACKING the site, why the compromises are random, they are finding hacked accounts online from bigger compromises, then matching everything. Dark web sells your shit, they get it, and start running around the internet trying to match it up

again, organized crime, they have access to the Dark web, they have no problem stealing Credit Cards, they have no problem Spoofing your account or reaching out to you

Reactions: Milf Dots and lash
    PP don’t give a flock about your gun rights, that fee ain’t gonna help you. If you try to file a claim for a firearm, they may even try to freeze your accounts for violating their terms of service.
    Check your reading comprehension. I clearly stated "Except for guns".

I think the "I'll Take It" locks the time and prevents the seller from picking the best bid.
    I just bought something from the PX, PM to seller 8 minutes after posting and he was still online.
    Got answer, and posted "I'll Take It". I think the total time from posting to payment agreement was 12 minutes.

But, if the seller comes in every couple of days to check his ads, you wait and hope the seller is honest.

I think a requirement for the seller/buyer to use a second form of communication to complete a deal might help.
    A requirement placed on the participants, not the forum software.
    Can't show the comms, your on your own.

Reactions: Maggot
    PS,

My phone number is not listed aa a contact for the website, every week I get a phone call, mostly people wanting to buy something in the PX and think they are calling a company to buy it.

They get stupid offended when I quiet shine them off, as soon as I answer I know and go OH FUCK, Hi is this SH, you have a BLANK for sale.... No I don't ... yes on your site, that's not me, you are not calling the seller, well what you do you sell, NOTHING ... OK, how do buy this thing listed on SH, Contact the actual seller... OK... by this point I hang up

I think the "I'll Take It" locks the time and prevents the seller from picking the best bid.
    I just bought something from the PX, PM to seller 8 minutes after posting and he was still online.
    Got answer, and posted "I'll Take It". I think the total time from posting to payment agreement was 12 minutes.

But, if the seller comes in every couple of days to check his ads, you wait and hope the seller is honest.

I think a requirement for the seller/buyer to use a second form of communication to complete a deal might help.
    A requirement placed on the participants, not the forum software.
    Can't show the comms, your on your own.
    Yep, its your money, your responsibility.

There needs to be an intermediary, a person handling the payment for a transaction, thus verification, before an item may be greenlighted for shipment. Or, a person handling the shipment before payment is released.

But, this would require warehousing with a fee stipend.

Status
    Not open for further replies.