• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need a supressor review for M1A

general_purpose

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2007
Maryland
Anyone have an M1A Suppressor review that they can share? I know the M1A is a gas operated action, not like a bolt action. Can you share your experience with functionality?What brand, type? opinions? flash hider mount or did you have to replace the factory flash hider?

Thanks.
grin.gif

Re: Need a supressor review for M1A

Don't waste your time. It's not a project worth pursuing. The platform really doesn't shine. Doesn't seem to matter which one you go with.

I don't own one. I've only shot other people's rigs. Was one of those no brainers.

M1A ia a gas-piston operated action, seems it would work well with a can. Anyone know why it doesn't?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/socgmULGVOA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/socgmULGVOA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M1A ia a gas-piston operated action, seems it would work well with a can. Anyone know why it doesn't? </div></div>

No problems with the ones uncle issued, except they ran dirty just as they all do with cans. The biggest problem is ammo thats on the pressure edge, you can get in trouble here just as fast as with any other stick. Only shot M14's with Sonic cans, the targets never complained that I know of and the weapon always went bang.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: general_purpose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard that the bolt begins to open before the gas pressure completely fall. </div></div>

Thats Std. on most M/G designs, and alot of S/A's as well, most of the time it's a none issue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/socgmULGVOA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/socgmULGVOA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I was there for that. It was not that impressive in person.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/socgmULGVOA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/socgmULGVOA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

If you gotta hand cycle the action after every round, why bother with a Semi Auto?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't waste your time. It's not a project worth pursuing. The platform really doesn't shine. Doesn't seem to matter which one you go with.

I don't own one. I've only shot other people's rigs. Was one of those no brainers. </div></div>

I owned 4 at one time, now down to 2, no problems with any of them, quite reliable & very accurate. One could say they all "shined". As for the supressor in the video it is a Fisher Enterprises M14DC sound suppressor.

Our dept has one I believe it is AAC I'll have to check, it works great but we don't shoot subsonic ammo. It's basically a 22 short sound shooting federal gold match. No reliability problems, but starts throwing debris back at you through the action after 20 or so rounds, it needs to be cleaned a lot more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: general_purpose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you gotta hand cycle the action after every round, why bother with a Semi Auto?

</div></div>

That's no different than using subsonic ammo in an M16/AR15 platform. Does that mean I should deep six my Colts? I don't think so! The subsonic stuff will give you a quieter response but you give up the self-loading ability. Specific tools for specific purposes.

Moe

I don't believe there is a can in existence that can work with the GI flash suppressor.

There are several options out there with flash hiders, threaded for the castle nut threads, that double as quick-detach mounts. The Gemtech HVT, the YHM 7.62 Phantom and the AAC Cyclone (the AAC mounts were a one-off production run, however, but if you were to decide to go that route I might be willing to part with the one I snagged).

Another much-touted option is the David Fisher can which mounts to a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider, which is threaded to the castle nut threads.

Yet another option mounts directly to the castle nut threads, the AWC Spectrum 2000.

I personally have an HVT that mounts to my LRB M25:
HVT_Mounted.jpg

... but I can't review it for you because I've STILL never shot it! I've been waiting for my Gen2 JAE-100 stock, the kind with the thumb-wheel, which is finally being assembled and will be ready soon enough! I'll let you know how it works then.

Consider the SEI M14DC 0.30 Caliber Sound Suppressor that's featured in the video.
Fisher Ent. sells them to the civilian market... http://www.fishersuppressors.com/

Except for the SMITH ENT. stamp, the FISHER ENT. suppressors are identical
to the suppressors Smith Enterprise, Inc. supplies to military users - pictured.
You will need to use SEI's DC Vortex flash eliminator and one of SEI's gas lock front sights.

The M14 will not cycle sub sonic ammo, but as shown in the video.. it operates 100% with all other ammunition.

BTW, I attended the event when that video was shot and both the suppressor and MK14 SEI rifle did in fact <span style="font-style: italic">SHINE</span>
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't review it for you because I've STILL never shot it!</div></div>

Wow, this post takes me back. I finally did end up shooting it on my M25 last fall (but not very extensively)! It worked pretty well. POI shift was maybe a few inches at 100 yards; groups seemed to open up by about 50% size. But like I said, I didn't shoot it extensively. Rather, I just put it on at the end of the day "just because" and put some surplus ammo through it.

Once spring arrives I'll be testing my HVT more extensively on both my M25 and Remington 700.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I was able to get a little range time today and my new SEI / Fisher
M14-DC 7.62 suppressor worked as advertised on my MK14 SEI.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">It worked equally well on my DC Vortex equipped Norinco AKM ~ I am a happy camper!</span>

Okay, maybe I'm not getting this, ...

... but was the hand-cycling the shooter did in the vid because of weak ammo? - or, did the back-blast from the gasses the can produced clog up the gas system and cause the failure-to-cycle?

Also, a separate question: has anyone run an OPS can on an M1A?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steppenwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Okay, maybe I'm not getting this, ...

... but was the hand-cycling the shooter did in the vid because of weak ammo? </div></div>

Sub sonic ammo will not cycle the action causing me to hand cycle the action.
Regular ammo cycles the action just fine and the gas system remained clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steppenwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Okay, maybe I'm not getting this, ...

... but was the hand-cycling the shooter did in the vid because of weak ammo? </div></div>

Sub sonic ammo will not cycle the action causing me to hand cycle the action.
Regular ammo cycles the action just fine and the gas system remained clean.</div></div>

In case you didn't catch that, H2O man is actually the shooter in the video.

I love my 14's but from what I have read they aren't the best autoloader for suppessor use. I think it has to do with the dwell time being changes and over stressing the op rod. That said a can will work in a 14. If I'm not mistaken 14 cans bleed some of the gas off?

That said for can work on the autoloader I turn to the AR 10. regarding subsonics in 30 caliber anything but the use of a 300 Whisper is a waste of effort.

I have not read or noticed any issues with dwell time being
changed or over stressing of the op rod on any suppressed M14.
A big plus with the M14 is that the gas is not dumped into the
action as it is with the AR 10. The M14 runs cooler and cleaner.

I fired the subsonic ammo for demonstration purposes, but the
EBR Thumper subsonic ammo is very quiet and very accurate.

H2OMANs_MK14_SEI_Mod_0_with_SEI-Fisher_suppressor.JPG

<span style="font-weight: bold">Quick update:</span>

I was able to attend the 2009 Silencer Shoot in September with my SEI/Fisher M14DC 0.30 caliber sound suppressor.
I brought along my MK14 SEI Mod 1, M21A5 RRM, my 7.62 Norinco AKM and a bunch of ammo.
All three weapons wear the correct SEI DC Vortex.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Observations:</span>

The MK14 SEI Mod 1 with it's 18" standard profile chrome lined barrel performs 100% with 168 gr and heavier ammo when suppressed.
147 gr NATO cycles about 98% of the time...
Suppressed-MK14-Mod1.jpg

The M21A5 RRM has a 22.0" standard profile barrel and cycled everything I fed it. Very accurate with negligible bullet drop.
This is a real nice K.I.S.S. configuration.
Suppressed-M21A5-RRM.jpg

SS-2009-3.jpg

The 7.62 Norinco AKM cycled Wolf, Golden Tiger and EBR Subsonic Jackhammer. It was surprisingly accurate on the 100 yard targets.
Suppressed-Norinco-AKM.jpg

The SEI/Fisher M14DC 0.30 caliber sound suppressor performed 100% on all three rifles. I moved the can from rifle to rifle and back again without a single problem. I wore no hearing protection during the event and I experienced zero negative hearing effects. Also, I have no problem recommending the SEI/Fisher M14DC 0.30 caliber sound suppressor to anyone interested in suppressing their M14/M1A or any other 0.30 caliber weapon.

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use an adjustable gas port as per...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?pr..._campaign=10636

</div></div>

I appreciate the suggestion, but it looks like the item is made to allow heavier bullets to be fire safely.

How will this adjustable plug help this particular MK14 better cycle 147 grain NATO ammo when suppressed?

In the rarer incident when the rifle won't regulate properly with a well designed can, you can adjust/balance out the pressure returning and actuating the op rod. Its always better with a uniform known load to start off with less and gradually adjust the gas until positive operation is achieved. Dwell time is low, but they have been employed since Clint Fowler rolled his out in 1975. I have always run one. There is actually ALOT of pressure coming back with the wrong can.

That is why we find this....

http://www.awcsystech.com/thundertrap.html

AND this....

http://www.awcsystech.com/spectrum2000.html

The Spectrun addresses this completely (no adjustment needed) whereas the Thundertrap is not recommended for the M1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the rarer incident when the rifle won't regulate properly with a well designed can, you can adjust/balance out the pressure returning and actuating the op rod.
</div></div>

Thank you for the information.
Since the SEI/Fisher suppressor is a well designed can I may need to investigate the Schuster adjustable gas plug.

EDIT: Neither Dave Fisher nor SEI recommend using a Shuster.

Just a quick note, it appears that there is a new AWC suppressor specifically made for the M-14. This unit called the Spec-14 is to come out by year's end and includes a newly designed gas cylinder plug assembly. One can now tune the rifle from suppressor capable to standard pressure on the fly. No more brand X extractor launches!

Additional options are good for everyone.

Is the new AWC safety certified by US Navy?

What does it sell for?

I think in Vietnam the Army suppressed them with Sonics suppressors and a pressure bleed off valve. Often set up with a Starlight scope for night use. That would have been some rig!

H20,

AWC Spectrum 2000 was sold to the US Navy SOCOM. The 2010 variant (new) is under review right now. The difference between the two? New one is lighter, new baffle system (Thundertrap Gen 8), 360 welded is still in use, new gas system (actually increases volume under the same envelope entrance area), new gas divergence (15% improvement dwell time), back pressure spindle modification insure "soft-cycle", spindle goes to grenade launch (still auto). No longer grenade launch...its now suppress mode. There you go...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think in Vietnam the Army suppressed them with Sonics suppressors and a pressure bleed off valve. Often set up with a Starlight scope for night use.
That would have been some rig! </div></div>

Sionics SS-1 suppressors and AN/PVS-2 night scopes

25ID_Vietnam_HuntingClub.jpg

Yes, of course, great quality.

www.trosusa.com

Bottom of page left hand side.

Remember, just screwing on a "normal" .308 can on these rifles creates way too much back pressure.

A new picture of my 7.62 M14 can with my 7.62 AKM
The DC Vortex is from SEI.

IMG_2561.jpg

SEI is working on an improved (quieter) baffle kit with an end
cap that has a slightly smaller exit hole for their suppressor.
I am in line to purchase one of the first kits available and will
post details here when they become available.

Why wait? Just get yourself to AZ and shoot the Spec-14, new switch gas block. Your just wasting time, AWC has been mounting these cans on M1A/M14 since the early 80s.

Having said that BJ is absolutly right, positive/negative inertia is so great on that rifle and the action noise so loud that the suppression (AWC quieter than a .22) really is meaningless. Rack the rifle as hard as you can and its already loud..suppressed? The action is by far the loudest sound around. Need quiet? Turn the block off...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Why wait?
</div></div>

Because it's what I have and it's what I want
smile.gif

SEI's CQB 16 barrel with sound suppressor installed on SOCOM DC Vortex.
Note the SOCOM gas plug and the locking collar cut-down to clear the gas plug.

Thunderbeastt 30 p-1. All titanium.....you get what you pay for.....the best can I think made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thunderbeastt 30 p-1. All titanium.....you get what you pay for.....the best can I think made. </div></div>

Any video of it on an M1A/M14?