• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a thermal or nightvision, help out!

SuckitTrebek

The rapist for $200
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
The Great State of Texas
I'm in the market for either a thermal or nightvision scope. I've used both but now the prices have come down a bit, especially on thermals.

Preferably weapon mounted and 5k is max what I'd like to spend. Any suggestions?

Would be nice to just attach it in front of my acog or aimpoint.

Yes of course thermals are superior, and more expensive. It's not even really hunting anymore with those, just ask the stinky hadji's.

Re: Need a thermal or nightvision, help out!

Trigicon is supposed to be sending a pair of thermals to play with. I'll let you know what I see. I've seen some other stuff but it was all high end and pricey IF you could purchase it.

Cheers,

Doc

I'm sure the Trijicon Advanced Thermal Weapon Sight will be the shit. I'm just not looking to drop 10k++ which I'm sure it will cost.

Naturally it would be perfectly matched with my 4x32 acog.

Have no idea what the thing costs, they just said beat on it and tell us what you think. I'm always happy to help out when it comes to abusing optics
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Both the Trijicon TANS and the ATWS are the shiznit.

I got to shoot with the TANS, but the ATWS they brough us was a non-firing demo. So it was not shock-rated for weapon systems yet. I guess they just threw it together to show the capability of the optics.

Unless you are doing a department purchase, don't plan on getting your hands on a ATWS. You have to be an American Citizen to even view the demo.

I believe the TANS can be purchased by US Citizens, but all the ITAR restrictions apply.

If you want something affardable, look at the new digital nightvision scopes that are just coming on the market.

They are much better than Gen 1 Scopes and without the expensive tubes they should be cheaper than the Gen2 ect...

We're just starting to see them on the market over here...They are "consumer grade" stuff at the minute, but the whole concept is showing a lot of promise.

Here's one example here in the UK:
Pulsar DigiSight N550 Digital Night Vision Riflescope

And one yourside of the Pond:

Elcan daynight scope

There is also a company who makes a digital "viewer" that afixes to a standard dayscope...They were having some success with it on centrefire .22 fornight shooting foxes, but I believe people were reporting problems on rifles with more recoil.

Depending on your needs, I would suggest getting both thermal AND night vision. In Texas, I would assume you're hunting hogs, so use the thermal to locate the prey, and then use the night vision to stalk in close for the shot.

While having both thermal and nightvision would be nice it is not only redundant, but also very cost ineffective.

If you have a thermal riflesight that's a game ender right there.
For those of us that have used them before seeing what you want anytime isn't even a challenge anymore.

In other words if you have that it's bye bye for the game your hunting. In my case hogs.

the trijicon/FLIR pairing is absolutely balls out nuts. size, weight, clarity are all great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a thermal riflesight that's a game ender right there.</div></div>

Not necessarily.

As with anything, it depends on the application. With the current level of technology and ROE that I have to adhere to, Thermal has some HUGE limitations. In MY situation a current Gen NV clip on would be superior to thermal.

Discussing the specifics of the limitations ventures into OPSEC and is not warranted in this thread, however getting ahold of the devices you are interested in and demoing them in the environment you intend to use them in will quickly demonstrate what I am talking about.

Well, having used both quite a bit in an operational environment I have no clue what you could mean there lonewolf. But hey, your the chief on what's best for whatever it is your doing.

Having said that for my intended use there is no competition between the two.

I have not used this or any other thermal scope, however I had a chance to play with this nivisys device.

It's shockingly compact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'm leaning towards. just like the good old days.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atn-night-vision-monocular-pvs14-3a-2aa.html </div></div>

ive used this one alot it works well but i cant seem to use it with the acog very well. I've used a few diffrent thermals all with success including using them with the acog.

I played with the Trijicon's Thermal (FLIR) at the Shot Show and it is awesome. It did look durable, and functions were easy to use.

If you are looking at getting thermals, there are not many out there yet that are on par with the military systems you may have usd for the price you are asking. Most I am aware of are going for anywhere from $10-$25,000 depending on model. What you might consider is looking at a UNS or PVS-29. Their glass is really good, and you get one of the sharpest pictures I've seen in a night vision system. plus it mounts in front of your primary optic, which was something you said you wanted. Something like that might be a little more in your price range.

One area that thermal lags behind is in target identification IMO.

If you are indiscriminately destroying anything with a heat signature, sure... they are great for target acquisition.

But a good PVS14 works great for ID'ing the target and for taking the shot.

I think they work excellently TOGETHER.

I'd start with a good PVS14 for around $3500... $4k after you get a helmet and weapon mount... then after prices drop in two years on some thermal pick that up to compliment it.

If you buy thermal now, you'll be losing 5k in value in the next few years... if you buy night vision now, you'll be losing 1k in value in the next few years. Makes sense to buy NV now, thermal later. And you'll want both no matter what your objective is... in my experience and opinion.

Semper Fidelis,

Kent

Hello all

I use the Pulsar Digisight myself and rate it very highly for vermin control.

You can read a UK top magazine review here

Pulsar Digisight Review in Gunmart Magazine

Also check out www.youtube.com/scottcountry for demo videos of the device in use.

Any questions I will be happy to answer, and have a demo model here for any video requests, ranging questions etc

Also check out the Pulsar website for info, click on TEST REPORTS for further details
Pulsar Website info on Digisight N550

Best Regards

Paul

<$5k for a thermal weapon sight isn't going to happen unless it's antiquated, back of the truck/CID/DOD or someone needs to liquidate it yesterday.

A quality NVD sounds like more of what you're looking to spend...you're in good hands with a PVS14/6015/MUM14/Litton 983

<$5K = PVS-14
$7K - $10K = UNS
>$10K = Thermal