• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a trainer. CZ 452/455 or Savage MKII

JWV

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Mich State Univ, East Lansing
I was dead set on getting a Savage and would have but nearly every store near me is completely sold out of them. Including Cabelas in Dundee, MI. I was planning on modding it immediately, but for the price I could mod a savage for I can easily get into a new/used CZ. You guys with both, should I just get the CZ? I am getting a 22 for a trainer and fun gun as I never have time to reload for my match rifles anymore. I have around 500 dollars for a setup and already have optics. On a side note, I already have a built ruger 10/22 but I am dead set on something with a bolt.

Justin

Re: Need a trainer. CZ 452/455 or Savage MKII

My vote is for the CZ. I have the 455 Precision Trainer. It's quite nicely finished and I like that you can easily change calibers (I currently have mine in .17 HMR). The trigger will need some attention. I took a stone to mine (2 1/4 lbs. with no creep) but you can get the shim-and-spring kits.

I had the Savage MK II in the factory tacticool stock. Overall impression is best described by saying (generously) that it was assembled by unskilled labor on a Friday afternoon. The accu-trigger is garbage (sorry everyone) with too much creep and no real adjustability. I put the Rifle Basix trigger in but could never get it totally creep-free.

I had always shot the Savage suppressed so I can't give an apples-to-apples comparison of accuracy between the two. I can say that it is ridiculously easy to hit a 2" wide steel popper at 200 with the CZ in either .22 or .17.

+1 for the CZ. I have a 452 heavy barrel 22lr. Great little rifle. Very accurate. Had the barrel cut down to 18 1/2" and threaded to run a suppressor. Trigger could use some work, but it's manageable.

my vote is cz, but i have shot the savage a bit and its a nice rifle aswell

CZ. I've owned both and the Savage, while fine for what it is, isn't nearly as nice as the CZ in terms of workmanship/accuracy/Etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kl3309</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The accu-trigger is garbage (sorry everyone) </div></div>

True that! I heard the hype, bought a BTVS, and felt I overpaid even thought it was fairly cheap (in every sense of the word). The Accu-Trigger is awful.

i'm a savage to CZ convert after getting my cz 455 varmint.

although i didn't "waste" any time using the savage over the last few years, i should have gone with the CZ from the start.

either the 452 or 455 will be the one, but if you can get the 455, get it as you have the option of changing calibers.

If you pull the trigger correctly on the Savage it is fine and quite good for off the shelf.

If you need instruction on how to pull the trigger correctly you can find it on this forum.

Last I looked there is a 452 Varmint in the Firearms for sale section. I would recommend that over the Savage. I have the Savage TR2 as I could not find a CZ 452 for sale when I was ready to buy.

CZ would be my first choice. Savage gets the job done though and is a pretty nice rifle for a 22.

I think I am going to get the CZ. I found one for sale in the classifieds but the guy will not respond to my PMs. Might just order one off of Buds. I hope this thing can help me with my wind reading skills. My last F open match I was running in 2nd the entire match. With one misread shot I dropped to 4th. Damn wind.

I had one of the original tactical Savages but it had a bad problem with a coldbore first shot flyer. Couldnt ever get it to do what I wanted so I sold it for a CZ 452 and man was it great, consistant and reliable... Later I got the new CZ455 precision trainer with the bull barrel and manners stock and so far its 1 inch at 100 consistantly with wolf and SK ammo ..havent moved to the expensive match ammo but im sure it would do well.

Savage TR by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

CZ452V (4) by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

cz455PTgrn (4) by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

I went with the CZ 455 also and really like mine i should be getting my Manners stock for it in the next week or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you pull the trigger correctly on the Savage it is fine and quite good for off the shelf.

If you need instruction on how to pull the trigger correctly you can find it on this forum.</div></div>

OK, I searched for how to correctly pull a POS Accu-trigger but could only come up with tossing the thing in the garbage heap. Please enlighten us on the correct trigger-pulling protocol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice 22s and shooting! How well did you 452 shoot? </div></div>
where my 455 is an inch at 100 shooter my 452 is 1 1/2 inch shooter

MK II trigger is nicer than the CZ'S.Savage, shoot it like a two stage. CZ, crude fixs for a crude trigger. You can get them going though.
My Savages both thru 'cold bore' fliers, always. Thats what the ten rd. mags are for, throw two and make next five count.
All five of my CZ's shot well and two would print tiny five shot groups at 50. Still have one. The Savage MKII TR would print one to one and a half inches at 100. Best rimfire targets I have shot in 48 years at 100, with the Savage 'warmed up'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sporter II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MK II trigger is nicer than the CZ'S.Savage, shoot it like a two stage. CZ, crude fixs for a crude trigger. You can get them going though.
My Savages both thru 'cold bore' fliers, always. Thats what the ten rd. mags are for, throw two and make next five count.
All five of my CZ's shot well and two would print tiny five shot groups at 50. Still have one. The Savage MKII TR would print one to one and a half inches at 100. Best rimfire targets I have shot in 48 years at 100, with the Savage 'warmed up'. </div></div>
Both my CZ's triggers are great with the 25 dollar yodave kit and break around 2 lbs
that being said I dont think a rifle worth its weight in salt should have coldbore flyers but hey thats just me and opinions my differ
after my experience with Savages Id go with CZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the cz 455 is more accurate than the cz452? With the same ammo? If thats true, What makes the 455 more accurate? </div></div>
my 455 is more accurate because the stock is heavier, bull barrel, and higher mag quality scope but if it were equal I think it would be just as accurate. That being said id go with the 455 not that the 452 is no longer in production.

Like my Savage TR but I know CZ makes a good rifle. I just liked the Savage fit better and fits more in line with my GAP for training ... JaxOps
IMG_0183.jpg

I recently got a CZ453 varmint in 22LR (same as 452 except with a set trigger)and put a 10x SSHD on it. It is 1 MOA out of the box with non-match ammo (CCI 40gr standard velocity, SK standard plus). I haven't bothered using match ammo because you don't need it. It is sweet. The stock trigger on the 453 is excellent.

Only problem is bolt throw is high, so you will need high rings (high Seekins on mine), and, as a possible consequence, a comb riser.

I've also shot a Savage TR. It's just as fine and can shoot just as well. The Accutrigger is fine, but that's personal preference. The comb height is too low for me, and I liked the wood better on the CZ.

I have a CZ 452 Varmint on the way off a hide member. got a pretty good deal. Pretty light usage and in excellent condition.
Rifle
DIP base
Trigger kit
2 extra mags
Dewey Bore Guide
Sling
Cheek piece.

Both shoot well. CZ for the money