• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need action trued, and barrel installed, r700

txgunnertx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
weatherford tx
I am looking to find places that will do this around DFW, TX. I have talked to Ross Precision Gunworks some, has anyone used them or heard anything about them.

I am trying to keep from having to send out by mail but might not be able to. I have looked at several this weekend online like GAP, Phoenix, bugholes and such. The only thing that worries me is the turnaround time with these as I am impatient.

I would really like to send it to gap, does anyone know there usual turnaround, I emailed them but, like I said I am impatient.

Thanks

Re: Need action trued, and barrel installed, r700

Being patient is something you might want to learn to have if you intend on ordering a custom rifle. Not everyone has the exact components for your particular build laying around their shop. Some parts, depending on manufacturer might take as long as 6 months. Barrels are a good example. All of the better smiths have work lined up, and if you inform them all publicly that you have no patience, I wish you the best of luck. If you already have your parts, then that's a different story. Guys like bugholes might be able to help you in about 1 month. BTW, he carries a lot of parts, like Stiller actions, trued Remingtons, and plenty of barrels. Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs is another really great one to consider. Best of luck.

I'm going to be blunt and just say it:

A large portion of the situations with this setup do the following:

Custom rifle work + owner impatience = long, whiny, eventually locked threads on the 'Hide complaining about how a given 'smith is ignoring their repeated phone calls.

People get pissy, 'smiths are irritated, members take sides and people end up banned.

There's a reason that places like GAP, Short Action Customs, R&D Precision, Louisiana Precision, et al have long waits: The rifles that come from those shops are worth waiting for and the 'smiths building them don't slap the shit out the door just to make a deadline.

If you're really unable to wait for the months that the build will take from any of the guys on here then sell off the rifle you have, take the funds and the money saved up to send the build off to a custom maker and buy a top quality factory built rifle.

EurOptics is a Tier 1 supplier/dealer of Sako TRG's, AI's, and others. There are few people that I've seen who can actually push one of those top level rifles to their potential.

I tried to tell a friend of mine this over and over again.

He wanted it fast, cheap, and perfect. You can only have 2 of those things.

Fast and cheap = junk
Fast and perfect = far from cheap
Cheap and perfect = The rifle will be delivered 1 day after Congress pulls its collective head from it's ass.

14 months ago he ordered a custom receiver, barrel, and stock and sent it to a top notch builder.

12 months ago he canceled the build and jumped on something else

11.5 months ago he was disappointed and called the builder back up to find he was now at the back of the line (no shit, you think?)

11 months ago he found another builder

8 months ago he got tired of waiting for 4 of the quoted 8 month time and he canceled that order

Here we are and he still doesn't have something that he's happy with or shoots to the grade that he and I consider acceptable. In the mean time if he had just sat on his hands he would have had his originally ordered custom for 6 months already.

/soapbox

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgunnertx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to find places that will do this around DFW, TX.

Thanks </div></div>

That is really going to be your best option. I recently had a rifle built by an out of state "hide favorite" smith and it turned in to a real cluster fu*k!!! Had I used a smith that was within driving distance, ALL of the issues would have been resolved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgunnertx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to find places that will do this around DFW, TX.

Thanks </div></div>

That is really going to be your best option. I recently had a rifle built by an out of state "hide favorite" smith and it turned in to a real cluster fu*k!!! Had I used a smith that was within driving distance, ALL of the issues would have been resolved.

</div></div>

You are in Ohio, so I'm just curious. Who finally made you happy? Good to know who does good work. This is the kind of info we can all use.

Mark Gordon at S.A.C. is within a 2 hour drive of me. He occasionally shows up and shoots at some local matches as well. Super nice guy and does a hell of a job. If there is an issue, it's nice to actually see the problem and talk about it face to face where you know that it is being properly addressed.

I got pulled in to "fancy" stock work that ended up being a joke on my last build. My buddy with a manual mill could have inletted the barreled action straighter and kept the barrel from running down hill.

Send out to gap, your wait shall be rewarded. I think there custom builds are around 4-6 months, but check the latest update in the GA Precision thread.

Try Don "Stick" Starks @ S&S Precision

Once upon a time I sent my work out. SG&Y built my 300 Jarret and Don did the metal work. Shot like a freak.

I'm having Accurate Ordnance do a build for me as we speak. My first time working with them and 100% satisfied so far. Super people to work with. As of about 1 month ago their lead time was quoted to me as 6-8 weeks.

GAP is in the 6 month area for full builds or barelled actions. I spoke to someone last week...

Forgive me if this comes off as an ignorant question, but do many of the major builders allow. Us timers to supply the components of their own build? I know Gradous custom allows this but only with very specific guidelines as to what can be used. Do companies suck as accurate ordnance and GA precision allow this as well? I'm looking for a place to build on this action I'm picking up in the stiller group buy and trying to work out the kinks.

Thanks in advance.

Not that impatient, sure as hell wouldn't be calling and whining about wait time. I understand they do their best and it takes time due to other work and shit. I just hate waiting and want it now. I figured around 3-6 months anywhere, just not wanting to wait more than that if I can get away with it

I sent my rifle out to Long Rifles, Inc. 2/27 and I'm getting it back tomorrow (according to the tracking info). They just happened to be setting up their machines to do a run of Remington actions so the timing was right. I had ordered my barrel from Bugholes and sent all the parts to him. I guess we'll see if it's a shooter tomorrow afternoon. Wasn't "cheap" but on par with what others charge. Turn around was awesome. Just give some of the smiths a call to see what their turn around is like.

If you have a shop within driving distance, use them. My last build was quoted @ 6 weeks and turned in to 8 months. The build still isn't right but, i'm not going to send it back to the hack and have it set at his shop for another couple months while he does nothing to it.

Once again, if you have a competent smith within driving distance, use them.

Chad Dixon did my REM 700 build for me. Turn around was fast but he was nice enough to help me out because I was on the short leash for a deployment to wonderful Afghanistan.

Honestly best bet is to call thse guys and ask them what the realistic expectations are for build time!!!! Asking here will not get you the best answer! Asking the builder who would be happier giving you the honest answer and providing honest expectations would be the better way to go. Versus people who sent their rifles in at various times during different circomstances.

Just my .02

Yea I got to call and talk to them to get correct times, I was really just trying to find who to send it to.