• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need advice. 300 WM

bradm21

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2020
alberta
Hey all. This is at 200 yds, Speer Impact 190 gr in my Tikka 300WM. Powder was N565 76.5g, 3.34" COL. Avg spd 2905 with ES 41, SD 17. Not happy with those numbers but the POI was terrific. Speer does not have data for this bullet with N565 so i went off comparable burn rate. My question is..... would you load more at same weight and stretch out distance? Load 2 more batches at 76 and 77g? See if that improves the SD and ES? Advice pls!! (I'm limited in COL due to mag length btw).

Attachments

• 20211017_174009.jpg
    20211017_174009.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 36
If those a 1" squares, you're asking if the anonymous internet readers of this thread would tweak a load with 1/4" spread at 200 yards? Shoot to your max hunting distance amigo, and see what you have there. Spoiler... you're probably done with load development unless some weirdness pops up.

Forget about SD and ES numbers. Unless you are always shooting out to or beyond transonic or bench rest/Fclass they don’t matter as much as you think, IMO.

last time I checked, no comps were won, game taken or enemy killed with a low SD/ES. Bullet POI in relation to POA is what counts. Your target looks great. I’d move to drop validation at known distance in 100m increments out to 1200-1500m or so.

@nn8734 hits on it. If you're going to be shooting at relatively short distances, then ES/SD means much less. As you stretch it out, ES/SD takes on increasingly more significance.

If it’s a hunting rifle. Call it good

What you running for a chrono?