• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice choosing first scope - Atacr 4-20 vs 5-25

RHINO69

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
California
I am putting together my first bolt gun (20" 6.5CM CTR). It is going into a KRG x-ray.

Right now I have the option to buy either a atacr 4-20x50 Mil-C or a atacr 5-25x56 T3. They are essentially the same price but I am unsure which to go with. The rifle will be primarily used as a range gun but possibly for hunting (hog/coyote, maybe deer?).

This is my first build so any advice would be appreciated. I know this is not an ideal hunting rifle, or bench rifle. I was looking to slap together a sort of hybrid to learn on.

Thanks

Which reticle do you like more? They are totally deferent types. You wont need a T3 for hunting but could use it for the range gun part.
I personally would go with the 5-25x56 T3 since you said it will more of a range use rifle. If it was hunting oriented I would and say the less magnification and less busy reticle 4-20x50 Mil-C would be my choice.

I am putting together my first bolt gun (20" 6.5CM CTR). It is going into a KRG x-ray.

Right now I have the option to buy either a atacr 4-20x50 Mil-C or a atacr 5-25x56 T3. They are essentially the same price but I am unsure which to go with. The rifle will be primarily used as a range gun but possibly for hunting (hog/coyote, maybe deer?).

This is my first build so any advice would be appreciated. I know this is not an ideal hunting rifle, or bench rifle. I was looking to slap together a sort of hybrid to learn on.

Thanks
Being a newb, I would recommend going with the MIL-XT reticle over the T3, regardless of what NF scope you choose.

Sure, it looks cool and all, but that thing is WAY too busy, and you will never use it...Especially for hunting. "Whore-us" reticles are a stupid choice for like 99% of shooters. They're really tailored more to that 1% that wants something retardedly complicated, and even then, only about half of those people can actually use it to its fullest potential. Don't pay that stupid up-charge for a Horus reticle, just get a MIL-XT and call it good. You'll be more than happy with that.

I have an ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT and it's a great scope. If you want to save some coin, EuroOptic has a demo one (which are pretty much just open-box and brand new never mounted scopes) for a huge discount over MSRP. And it still carries the new NF warranty as if it was a brand new scope, because it's never been sold before. At this price, this is the route I'd go.

Drop it in a set of these rings, and you'll be good to go...

Last edited:
Reticle aside, between the two, if glass is a priority the 4-20. Both are going to tunnel on the lowest mag setting just as an fyi. For less money you could consider the 4-16. Still plenty usable and very practical with the T3. I’ve had the 4-16 x3 MilR, MilC, T3, 4-20 MilXT, currently a 7-35 T3.

I have the 4-20x50 with a Tremor3. Very Happy with it. The 5-25 is also amazing.

Reactions: RHINO69
Which reticle do you like more? They are totally deferent types. You wont need a T3 for hunting but could use it for the range gun part.
I personally would go with the 5-25x56 T3 since you said it will more of a range use rifle. If it was hunting oriented I would and say the less magnification and less busy reticle 4-20x50 Mil-C would be my choice.
Unfortunately I haven't looked through any of them. No where around me carries them in stock. I don't expect to land my favorite scope as my first pick, and since I am buying used, the savings makes up for not really being sure on what to get right now. And no matter what I get, it will work for me. I just wanted to see if there was an obvious choice between the two, and go from there.

Being a newb, I would recommend going with the MIL-XT reticle over the T3, regardless of what NF scope you choose.

Sure, it looks cool and all, but that thing is WAY too busy, and you will never use it...Especially for hunting. "Whore-us" reticles are a stupid choice for like 99% of shooters. They're really tailored more to that 1% that wants something retardedly complicated, and even then, only about half of those people can actually use it to its fullest potential. Don't pay that stupid up-charge for a Horus reticle, just get a MIL-XT and call it good. You'll be more than happy with that.

I have an ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT and it's a great scope. If you want to save some coin, EuroOptic has a demo one (which are pretty much just open-box and brand new never mounted scopes) for a huge discount over MSRP. And it still carries the new NF warranty as if it was a brand new scope, because it's never been sold before. At this price, this is the route I'd go.

Drop it in a set of these rings, and you'll be good to go...

Appreciate this!

Reactions: FuhQ
The Tremor 3 is designed for rapid engagements at various distances in combat environments. For that purpose, it excels. But I would say for your application, unless you are familiar with the Tremor 3 and know how to use it, or you happen to just really like it, it's probably more clutter than you need.
Think of it like cockpits on a plane. The Mil-C is a Cesna. The Tremor 3 is an F18. The F18 is going to excel at combat flying if the pilot knows what he's doing, but it's not something you want to learn to fly on. Even if you are an experienced pilot, an F18 isn't the best choice of aircraft for every application.

tl;dr: Tremor 3 might not be the best choice for a beginner, but buy what makes you happy.

Reactions: RHINO69
going with tremor as a first scope is asking to never have to learn true ballistics and to always have a slop factor of >1MOA. NF in general according to me isn't worth the money.

That said between a 420 (NXS?) and a 525 ATACR id pick the ATACR.
-------
other than not tremor pick whatever reticle suits you - its so hard to see a picture of reticle and try to consider how it'll really look through scope. Id pick milC but not confidently...which is why Ive never gone thru with purchasing a NF optic.

going with tremor as a first scope is asking to never have to learn true ballistics and to always have a slop factor of >1MOA. NF in general according to me isn't worth the money.

That said between a 420 (NXS?) and a 525 ATACR id pick the ATACR.
-------
other than not tremor pick whatever reticle suits you - its so hard to see a picture of reticle and try to consider how it'll really look through scope. Id pick milC but not confidently...which is why Ive never gone thru with purchasing a NF optic.
The 4-20 is an atacr

I’d go with the 4-20 over the 5-25 in this thread

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew