• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need Advice For 270 Barrel twist

VermitHunter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2009
I am planning on building a long range .270 from the action on, starting with a Remington 700. What I am thinking is around a 1000 yard gun, or rather what i would like, either way. Any suggestions on barrel twist and bullet grain???

Re: Need Advice For 270 Barrel twist

Consider Going with a 7mm bore instead and there will be a lot more bullet choices. Look toward the heavy SMK or AMax and a 1-9 twist rate.

I would have to agree, although I love my 270, it really doesn't hold a candle to what some of the other calibers are offering. You could go with a 30-06 and have a ton more choises for loading and also a proven and well documented round as is the same with most of the common ones out there. I'm personaly shooting the berger VLD 150's outta mine with a 1 in 10 twist. Its a laser at 100yds but I haven't had the chance to take it any further. But as stated I would look into another caliber.

Boy the .270 caliber is the best out there in my opinion. BUT, these guys are right the bullets selction is not the best YET. I am shooting the Berger VLD's(150 Grain) and I have a BC of .531 which is much better than alot of the 30 cal bullets. I am running a 1 and 10 twist tikka T3. Love it. 6.5 might be a better bet. 7mm would be slightly better than .270. But not by much. Take a look at the BC's on all the bullets you consider using. The 150 grain VLD is actually very good.

The heavy wildcat .277 bullets had outragous BCs. I hear they will be back in business and american based as soon as they get ATF approval. I cant recall exactly but am thinking .74 is what I am using in exbal for the 169s.

I have a schoenauer in .270 w\ a 1-9 twist I haven't shot it at a longer range than 200 but it goes .375 at 200 w\ 150 horns and under .5 w 160 nos parts at 200 yrds. the only mod is a glass bed job. it was built in 1960's.