• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice for a non Match Hunting round, but

Re: Need advice for a non Match Hunting round, but

What caliber?
IME the best killer with accuracy almost in the match category is the Barnes TSX, TTSX or MRX. Expensive but only shot one bullet per animal each year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What caliber?
IME the best killer with accuracy almost in the match category is the Barnes TSX, TTSX or MRX. Expensive but only shot one bullet per animal each year. </div></div>

Sorry. 30-06..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with the game king? It has nearly the same ballistics as the match king but is a designated and designed hunting bullet. </div></div>

You recommend the Gameking?

I game..

I plan on getting as many different types of 30-06 to see which o=kind my guns like, but I also want to do comparison tests for expansion and penetration as well as accuracy of 30-06 rounds.

I have searched and searched but can only find 308 and 223 ammo comparison tests

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Nosler Accubonds, & Berger VLD's. </div></div>
I was looking at those Nosler Accubonds..

How accurate are they?

I loaded some Barnes Triple shocks up and they held under 3/4" MOA ( to 300 yards)

Again in 308, but I plan to try them in 30-06 soon for an upcoming hunt (hopefully)

For .308 I have used the 180gr SPBT GameKing for matches when I could not get hold of 175gr SMK's. Same load, same degree of accuracy, very small POI shift. Only key difference, the jacket material must be softer, as the copper fouling was significantly more rapid. Very adequate as a game getter.

Greg

Another vote for the Accubonds.
I have seen them make many 1/2-3/4 MOA groups out of a .338LM and easily sub 1 moa out of a .375HH
They were retaining ~ 55-65% of their weight

I had a 30-06 that put factory Hornady 180 Light Mag interlocks into 5/8 inch goups with regularity. Nothing else that I tried would touch that - even Matchkings. I never could explain it.
Unfortunately the Interlocks did NOT handle elk bone well. (3 ft of penetration in soft tissue and 3 inches of penetration after hitting the scapular ridge)

The Barnes would be a top choice IF they will group well for you. (I have a love/hate relationship with them)

Sciroccos would be worth a look as well. I would expect them to be slighty tougher than the Accubond but slightly tougher to find a good load for. (I have them grouping 1/2-3/4moa in a .223 but shift the load a grain or so and the groups open to 1-2 moa)