• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice for outfitting my Savage 10fcp-k

mynamesbryan

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm new to the community but i'd like to start by saying thanks in advance for any and all advice and tips you guys can give me. I've been reading through a ton of threads and i've collected a couple ideas of what i may choose for a scope and mounting.

First off i wanted to spend around $500-600 on a scope i can grow with. I'll be starting at 100-200yrds and eventually slowly working my way up to a 600yrd range near my house. I was originally looking at Leupold scopes, but i'm not a huge fan of the reticles they offer on the vx-3 riflescopes, which came recommended at that price range.
I then started looking at Vortex scopes and the Viper HS LR 4-16x44 caught my eye. Wondering if anyone has any feedback on this one in particular, or perhaps an alternative option that you think might suit my needs better.

For mounting i was looking at 3 options:
TPS 20 MOA
Ken Farrell round top short 20 MOA
EGW 20 MOA
From what i've read 20moa seems to be the best application for what i'm shooting, but if anyone has some conflicting advice i'm definitely willing to listen and learn.

For rings i was looking at if i end up with a 30mm scope:
Vortex precision matched 30mm rings (if i were to end up going with a vortex)
TPS 30mm TSR rings, which came recommended
Leupold 30mm rings

For any of the sets i would go with either a low or med set depending on measurements after i get the base and scope.

That's all i have at the moment. Again these are my options after a day or two of research and reading, so if you think there is a better option in any of these categories please let me know so i can consider it! Thanks again!!

-Bryan

I would start with a super sniper scope in 10 or 12 power. Then I would get a sav-1 trigger. Next I would get an HS Precision or Manners stalk and call it good. After all of that then I would start saving for the scope of your choice. I think your mounting ideas are fine.

Last edited:
First off let me tell ya youll love the fcp-k. its what i have and it shoots better than i can!

Scope wise mine has a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 on it. Works well for both target shooting and also for more practical shooting (ie shot one target, move to the next that could be at different range). I like the variable for that since dial back to 6.5 for a wider FOV then either shoot or zoom in. Fixed scopes like the SWFA (i have a 12x now that is awesome i migth add!) work great for target shooting and "practical" you are just stuck at always being 12x. but the nice thing is the SWFA have real nice reticules and you can really learn MOA/MIL DOT with them. Anyways theres tons of info on scopes on this forum so you can find whatll work for you :)

As for upgrades...have you shot yours yet? I actually like the stock trigger on mine. I find it to be one of the best triggers i have on any of my guns. The stock is meh to me but it works just fine.

I agree with velillen. Trigger is great and factor stock can use an upgrade. Put mine in an XLR works great. Ken Farrell base is good. I tend to use seekins or Badger and now only use Badger. Definately a little more but the FCP deserves solid mounts. Mine wears a Vortex PST with Badger rings and will shoot better than me. I had an EGW awhile back an was not fond of it. Machining wasn't great and took some work to get it bedded. Never had to bed a Badger as the fit so far has been perfect with each one. FCP in my mind is the best out of the box rifle you can get at that price point. Most will attest to 1/2 MOA or better with this rifle. The Vortex PST 4-16 SFP would worth a look at. To 600 yds 16X should be plenty. Have fun.

Awesome! thanks for the quick responses! I have not shot my fcp-k yet, but i have shot a Savage with the accu-trigger and i am a big fan at the moment. i have plans for upgrading the stock at some point but right now i'm just focused on getting a good scope and mounting it. Ill have to take a look at seekins and badger, ive been hearing those two names quite a bit when it comes to mounting. Also thanks for the heads up on the EGW, i really want to avoid bedding the base if i can. Soo excited! I love hearing how pleased you are with your fcp-k's!!

Same rifle. I put on it the Weaver 1 piece 20 MOA base and Weaver Tactical (6 screw) rings. (Before you put the rings on, check the thread holes for metal shavings. Clean them out and they're gtg and inexpensive.). Vortex HS-T scope (which I really like) and an adjustable cheek rest from Southwest Precision. I've had this rifle out to 1k + at Bang Steel with no problem. I started with a great Hornady 178 BTHP load but now have a 175 SMK load that's even better.
I like the Accu-Trigger but don't believe in taking it down too far and concentrate on trigger control.

While I agree that the accutrigger is ok for an off the shelf trigger, if you put the sav-1 on your rifle it gives the trigger a whole different feel. You could save a lot of money by getting the fixed power supersniper and upgrade the weakest link on that rifle wich is the stock. I know lots of people that believe in fixed power scopes and stay with them. I use an HDMR, but if I were in your same situation(which I have been), I would concentrate on the three basic things that make a rifle accurate. The barrel, stock, and trigger. Savage barrels are pretty good from the factory. I would use some of the hardware that you and others have talked about for mounting optics, but I would be more strategic in buying optics and do it later down the road while you have had time to shoot an already accurate rifle. Good luck and happy shooting.

cant go wrong with EGW rings and Base. I had that on mine for the past 2 years never lost zero once.

Also the Rifle Basix trigger is a must. I just recently upgraded my stock. and Im waiting on my ADM mount to complete my build.

581950_10152049110048552_1376955762_n.jpg

So how did you end up liking your 10fcp-k mynamesbryan? I just purchased one and am picking it up in a day or two