• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Need advice from experienced thermal users

TNVC_Will

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2018
Looking for someone who has actually used these devices. Looking for a good handheld. Budget is in the price range of these devices not any more.

Asking for input on #1 Best performance (to the user's eye) and #2 recommendation which you'd choose given same choices.

FLIR Scout III 640 (good deal on used)

FLIR Breach or PTS233 (good deal new)

Thanks

Looking for someone who has actually used these devices. Looking for a good handheld. Budget is in the price range of these devices not any more.

Asking for input on #1 Best performance (to the user's eye) and #2 recommendation which you'd choose given same choices.

FLIR Scout III 640 (good deal on used)

FLIR Breach or PTS233 (good deal new)

Thanks
Are you looking for something to just scout with or to use as an actual optic?

For that price range, I'd look for a good deal on a pulsar helion. You can find an xq28 for around that price and it has a much better image than the pts233.

Reactions: Killswitch Engage
Thanks. Want something small/smallish. Was looking at Pulsar but their new Axion handhelds all have high base mags. I want closer to 1:1 for scanning within 0-300 yards max. Probably will be more like 100-200 max.

Thanks. Want something small/smallish. Was looking at Pulsar but their new Axion handhelds all have high base mags. I want closer to 1:1 for scanning within 0-300 yards max. Probably will be more like 100-200 max.

I have an xq28f with 2.3x base and I've never wished I had less mag and I typically scan the distances you describe. FOV should be plenty at those distances.

Reactions: Flip#1
I’m using the pulsar Accolade binoculars with the built in range finder.
So far I really like them. I’ve spotted animals out past 800yds, and can usually Identify out to 600.
I like that they hang around the neck and have a focus wheel like regular binoculars.
I’ve ranged past 1200yds at night with them.

I sold my XQ38 Trail to make way for some other toys. Loved that scope but I used it the most handheld and 2.1x didn't work for me how I was expecting. Hopefully the 1x or 1.5x does the trick. Thanks

I have an xq28f with 2.3x base and I've never wished I had less mag and I typically scan the distances you describe. FOV should be plenty at those distances.

I can’t speak for the 640 version of the scout but I had the 320 Scout iii. I was very disappointed with it and subsequently sold it for a Pulsar xq30v. There is no comparison.

The only place where the scout was better was size. The pulsar is a little larger but the image resolution, controls, features of the Pulsar were far superior. I personally would not buy another Flir.

And the Pulsar isn’t huge, it rides great in a badlands compact bino case/harness.

Edit to add: and when I say disappointed I thought something was wrong with it and contacted Flir. They told me the image I was seeing is typical of the performance they would expect from the unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stooxie
What about the HD19A Quantums? Worth it for under $2k or what's a fair street price?

They aren’t in production anymore so you have to find one.

That’s why I went with the xq30v which from best I could tell is the replacement for the HD19A. I found mine for under $2k new and it has worked great for scanning and detection in the ranges you are talking about. You can probably PID most critters within 300 yards pretty easy. I have no issue distinguishing between deer, hog, coyote at those distances and have detected deer much further than that without a problem.

Most of my night engagements are within 100-300 yards and I’ve not had any problems with it.

Also, unlike the Flir it runs on AA batteries which is really nice instead of having to wall charge the internal battery like the scout.

What about the HD19A Quantums? Worth it for under $2k or what's a fair street price?

Old tech but you can still find them. You may try to call pulsar and snag a refurb with full warranty. They were going for about $1200 a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Eliteuas
I currently have a breacher and is only good for CQB mounted in a helmet nothing pass 50M. I had the flir scout series and they all suck like they are really bad can I’d really good just a blurb. I will go with a pulsar unit or wait for their new stuff. You need magnification with thermal is not the same depth perception when scanning with a thermal. You won’t regret it. Go with something 2.1 and up that’s the purpose of the hand held is where you will spend most of your time scanning don’t skimp on the hand held.

Great advice ya’ll much appreciated. I’ll give Pulsar a ring tomorrow.

Reactions: Eliteuas

I've got one and have been VERY happy with it. Sometimes on the Pulsar FB forum you can find an occasional used one for sale. I think you'd be very happy with it.

I have the Breach and am pleased with it. Run it on a bridge with a pvs14. Great for being able to see a two or four legged animal out to about 300 yards. Not great to tell exactly what it is. I spot with it while driving and use the Reap ir to id what it is.

Pulsar says no refurbed HD19A's and if they did it'd be $2k. Nice up sell, probably shouldn't have hit #1 for sales, lol. Were these 25 or 17 micron? 25 is what I remember.

I'm disappointed in the lack of affordable 1x'ish devices. What's to choose from, Breach or PTS233, both of which are getting trashed feedback wise from users about their support. I'm not feeling the FLIR vibe from this forum either. Even more irritating as of late, I came across a great deal on a used Scout III 640 but even FLIR can't decide how they'd handle support of it. Even new.

I'm going to wait it out thermal-less for a while and see what shakes loose out there used or new.

Just venting. Thanks for the help guys.

If you are on FB, join some NV groups because they pop up for sale every now and then. You will probably see some on the used market soon because folks will be wanting to upgrade to the axiom series. Good luck, hope you find something.

Depending on your area the breach may not cut it anyway...

Deer in an open field are easy to detect at a few hundred yards

But

I used other thermal to watch deer in my cutover at 200-300 yards several nights, and could never find them with the breach even though I knew where they were. A fox running around in grass and just picking his head up enough to look over it from time to time will never be seen at over 150 yards either... The breach does not Excel at blocked animals and just head or eye and ear detections

I'm still on a search as well for a good 1x thermal scanner, so I understand... Trijicon still looks like the winner all the way if I can ever talk myself into the thing will be the question

Yeah would love a Trij but same deal on the cost. My old lady would kick my ass, lol

Make sure you use the married Gunnut math on huge purchases

Cost of the Trijicon unit, plus shipping, plus the declined interest in over time, plus the lawyers fee, plus half of all your assets, plus child support... Could be a really expensive thermal!
Yeah would love a Trij but same deal on the cost. My old lady would kick my ass, lol

Have you looked at the Pulsar xq30v?

It’s not 1x but No issues using it at close range. The fov is going to be more narrow with a 2.5 but it’s not bad at all even inside 50 yards.

Had a Trail XQ38 and I didn’t like 2.1 for where I’m using it. Dense trees and brush with not a lot of open areas.

Alright, looks like a have a few options now with an HD19a that popped up. These are all within my price range. The HD19a & Scout III 640 are used and the PTS233 brand new (good deal). Handheld scanner to ID within 50-150 yards I'm leaning HD19a but I like the outdoor alert of the PTS233. Anybody with firsthand use between the HD19a and either of the FLIR's to give their opinion?

The HD19a's are focusable is that right?

I have a breach & have it bridged with a PVS-14 as well, like Robbf's rig, I like it. I live in northern NewEngland & am using it at close ranges in the woods & edges of fields, I'm happy with it. I can see a porcupine in an open field at 200 yds without any problems, maybe I'm too noisy to see fox & deer... JMHO.

Find a 2nd hand ZEUS. Mine has gone from primary shooting optic to second string spotter / hand held scanner. Made the big jump into the deep end of the pool $$$ Solid performer, four years running and still serving me well twice a month.

I bucked the consensus and got a PTS233. Borrowed a Scout III and the outdoor alert mode I really liked so went for the FLIR. Real happy with it so far. I know there’s not a lot of fans of palettes outside white/black hot but for me the outdoor alert mode in particular is a huge aid.