• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice on 50bmg

veezer

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
Hazard, Kentucky
I have decided to get a 50 and I have got it down to 3: Windrunner 96, Windrunner SS99, and Barrett 82. I want to be able to have fun with surplus Ball/AP/Tracer ammo and be able to do some long range accurate shooting. I know the 82 doesnt shoot nearly as good as the windrunners, but the semi auto capability makes me want to consider it. On the windrunners, is it worth the extra $1500 or so to get the magazine fed version?

Any opinions appreciated.

Re: Need advice on 50bmg

In the long run, are you wanting accuracy or just going out for a session of blasting?

You would be better served with a 408 or a 375.

You can have a nice Lawton built for a whole lot less money.

veezer, The Barrett 82 is the Corvette Z06 of the .50BMG rifles, and that's reflected in the cost.

If you can <span style="font-style: italic">even consider</span> the Barrett 82, then you must be thinking you can afford it. . . . It's like, if I had the means to buy a Z06, why, WHY would I buy a Camaro?

Buy the Barrett and bask in the envy of others!

I am leaning more and more toward accuracy, so the 82 probably isnt the right tool. How about the McMillan tac 50? Any other opinions on other bolt gun setups?

My 50 is being custom built on a McMillan action, I probably would have got a windrunner if someone there wasnt rude to me.

If your going to shoot ball tracer, apti,etc. just get an AR50.I have shot mine out to 2200 yards and is more accurate than a Barret semi auto. If you going to go for pure accuracy get the Mcmillan, EDM-etc.

That's pretty much the prevailing wisdom. The M82/M107 is good for what it is, but it's not a precision rifle (the M99 is better in that respect). The Windrunner is excellent and has portability you won't find in other big bore rifles generally, but the McMillan TAC-50 appears to have the edge in the accuracy department. That said, the AR50 is a great value and quite popular as a first .50BMG. Ferret50s are also very accurate and similarly of good value (ie not too expensive, but good quality).

There's a guy on the ARFCOM forums that sez he worked with Barrett years ago, and claims that Ronnie went only so far on the design and stopped. He writes that he has a technique to accurize the Barrett.

*sigh* Of course, I don't have the name . . I could never afford the Barrett, so I left the discussion. But you might be able to ask around.

Remember, it was "pretty much the prevailing wisdom" years back that a .223 or .308 semi-auto couldn't match an average bolt-action in accuracy - - my how things have changed!

I like my Windrunner M96. Bill told me he would not be making the M99 any more so unless it is a used one I think you are out of luck. Along with that you can get the conversion for .50BMG, .50DTC, .416 Barret, .408CT, .338LM, and someone here said they were making the barrel for .375/408 so that would be the shit in my opinion. along with the whole thing packs down to a very small package.

With the Barrett, it's great with the semi-auto ability, but even with reloading, you are not going to be able to sustain the cost of shooting rapidly of the semi auto. The accuracy is at best 2 MOA. It looks great.

If it were me, I would choose the Windrunner repeating. The only problem with this gun is the endless wait. No doubt it is accurate. The single feed version is supposedly more accurate even. I was going to order one, but the wait was rediculous. End it up with the Barrett 99. Couldn't be happier. JMHO

I first bought the M99 in .50BMG when the ban was going through so it was just the receiver. When I had it all paid off I took it up to Bill and that is when he said that he no longer was making the SS99 so I paid the extra money for the M96 in .50DTC. I can tell you right now the M96 is way beefier than the SS99. Uses the same barrel has a lighter receiver, is most likely just as accurate but I was happy when he gave me the option to get the best.

If accuracy is your goal,like 1000-2000+ yards then get a 375/408 Cheytac on a Lawton repeater action and Lawton barrel with Mcree Precision aluminum stock.It would only set you back 4-5k custom from any gunsmith.Or buy a Windrunner and wait forever, and have less accuracy in any caliber .Or buy single shot Mcmillan action and barrel from Rmc Manufacturing for $1900 and a stock for $500 in 50bmg and just make big rocks into small rocks!.The Windrunner only has a 1- 2MOA rating. I think that is a little poor for $7000 dollars no scope and 1 magazine! Get a custom made anything from a gunsmith. More attention to detail on an individual basis.

Wow that is odd I have been able to hold .5 to .75 MOA out to 500 yards (longest range I have been able to get at so far) and Bill guarantees 1 MOA with match or RAFUS ammo as well as having an M96 with a record 5 inch group at 1004 yards shot "IN THE PRONE" if you were to go out to the desert marksman shoots that Tom puts on 4 to 5 times a year you would know that real world shooters with hand loads will REGULARLY hold .5 to .75 MOA at 1000 at these matches. Not sure where you are getting your info but you my Friend are wrong. Not saying the .375/408 on a Lawton isn't a good stick but sounds like you got an Axe to grind.
Forgot the link to the guarantee.
http://www.extremefirearms.com/pages/XM107.html
Krap one more link. Forgot to include that the .338LM is guaranteed to .5 MOA
http://02bfe1c.netsolhost.com/products/m98.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notyers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If accuracy is your goal,like 1000-2000+ yards then get a 375/408 Cheytac on a Lawton repeater action and Lawton barrel with Mcree Precision aluminum stock.It would only set you back 4-5k custom from any gunsmith.Or buy a Windrunner and wait forever, and have less accuracy in any caliber .Or buy single shot Mcmillan action and barrel from Rmc Manufacturing for $1900 and a stock for $500 in 50bmg and just make big rocks into small rocks!.The Windrunner only has a 1- 2MOA rating. I think that is a little poor for $7000 dollars no scope and 1 magazine! Get a custom made anything from a gunsmith. More attention to detail on an individual basis. </div></div>

Bad day yesterday! sorry! I am just saying that things such as Rafus ammo, presses,bullets,brass,primers,all add up and I guess I am just a bolt gun guy.Besides us Californians shouldn't have the Rafus ammo. Yes A Windrunner is a great stick and will shoot very well.I'm not broke, I just have other things to spend my money on. Besides I'm building a 50 DTC EURO right now as well. jmo. Sorry bud, didn't mean to start a yelling match . I did not know It was garanteed 1MOA sorry!!

Not yellin' was just surprised when you said Windrunners will only do 1 to 2 MOA. I am going to be putting some fire form rounds together this weekend for some shooting this Sunday. What is your reason for going with the EURO radius?

I am finding it extremely hard to find a single shot bolt action with a barrel from anyone other than 1 guy in South Dakota that is a manufacturer,which is the only legal way to convert a BMG Rifle.So I am trying to buy a complete rifle that is a BMG and send it to him before entering California to my FFL.The manufacturer only does the Euro.Is there a big difference in performance between the EDM and EURO?I can always rechamber after I receive the rifle in California to the EDM.I don't care at this point if one is better than the other yet.

Yes, considering you would 99% be buying stolen US Government property or fakes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notyers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am finding it extremely hard to find a single shot bolt action with a barrel from anyone other than 1 guy in South Dakota that is a manufacturer,which is the only legal way to convert a BMG Rifle.So I am trying to buy a complete rifle that is a BMG and send it to him before entering California to my FFL.The manufacturer only does the Euro.Is there a big difference in performance between the EDM and EURO?I can always rechamber after I receive the rifle in California to the EDM.I don't care at this point if one is better than the other yet. </div></div>

There is a difference and the majority of 510DTC components in the USA are now of the EDM spec.

the radius on the EURO is soft the EDM is a sharper edge. You can shoot any ammo in the EURO but not the other way around. And as Dogtown said the EDM is MUCH more popular right now. As for the legality of bringing the .50BMG into Kalifornia with a DTC barrel, there have been numerous conversations on the FCSA site about that. You may want to REALLY research that in my opinion. On the Raufoss ammo it is my understanding that because of the amount of explosive in it, it is not considered an explosive. Kind of like primers. However incendiary rounds (these are) are illegal in Kalifornia.

I have a Windrunner M96 and its a great rifle. Its very accurate and doesn't even compare to the Barrett.

+1 on what DesertHK said, you are not going to shoot the Barrett that fast. If you do your shots will most likely not be on target and you will have spent about $60 in seconds! You need to figure out what you want out of the 50BMG. If its accuracy you seek the EDM or McMillian is what I would get. The Barrett may look cool but its not a target rifle and I think the Windrunner is a very cool looking rifle myself.

+1 on the EDM M96. You can also switch calibers later if you would like to. That can't be said with any other manufacture that I know of.

I have the Windrunner M96. I like the idea of it breaking down and being able to add a .408 or .375 barrel, which I will do.

One of my jobs early in life was as a machinist making precision parts for electron microscopes. After touring his facility with Bill Ritchie I was reasonably certain he knows how, and is dedicated, to making precision firearms.

I think I waited eight months or something like that, but I have so many toys that go bang the wait doesn't bother me at all. I think that shouldn't even be a factor if it is a high-end item you really want. So your job is to figure out what you really want.

For about $2500.00 this guy will build you a single shot that is as accurate as anyone's. His name is Larry and this is the link to his website http://www.statearms.com/index.html I have one of his Rebel series rifles and it will flat out shoot! I have put 3 in one ragged hole @ 200 yds many times. He is also a hell of a nice guy to deal with.