• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need advice on a fixed blade for a bug out bag.

Cold steel has alot of Chinese shit, some decent stuff also just like many other makers. Just remember if it's something you value enough to trust your life to then pay attention to the steel.

It amazes me the people who would never consider a cheap high point or Taurus pistol for a bug out bag but will go all in on a knife made of chinesium steel. The reality is if you ever have to use that bag the knife will be the one of if not the most important thing in the bag.

That said the knife doesn't need to be a Randall heirloom knife either. Just good strong steel that can take a beating if you need to make a fire or shelter, hold an edge and sharpen easily.

Reactions: smoooth1
Nobody can say for sure where a certain steel is made unless you are the people buying it and even then you can get conned . If a knife maker says it's Elmax grade steel then the average person has to accept that , they never say where the Elmax is actually produced . Your best guide is the reputation of the knife , how much detail they are willing to give you and what others think of the knife's performance and price also buy from authorized dealers . I think a lot of people would be surprised where the steel came from if they really knew . Which cold steel knives are made in China ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sutherlandsd
Most Cold steel knives are made in China, or Taiwan. The good ones used to be made in USA by Camillus. Remember carbonV steel? I have a SRK carbonV steel USA made, it's very durable and comfortable to use.

Mike

Reactions: Wyzrd
The main thing is don't look at the name and say oh wow Spyderco makes a great knife and this ones only $32

Then they get it and realize it's $32 worth of Chinese shit.

Buy the knife that has good steel from a reliable maker and you're golden. Doesn't have to be custom or a wall hanger.

As far as having a folder, I almost always have a folder in my pocket. So, a folder in pocket, maybe a handgun , and whatever in the "bugout" bag,( good sturdy fixed blade w/ 4-6" blade). You're ready,,,,,,, go bugout!

Mike

Most Cold steel knives are made in China, or Taiwan. The good ones used to be made in USA by Camillus. Remember carbonV steel? I have a SRK carbonV steel USA made, it's very durable and comfortable to use.

Mike
Is price a guide to the US made cold steel knives ? At least my KA-Bars have made in USA or made in Taiwan on them they seem honest about it . I would like to buy a Cold steel Trail Master and a master hunter in San Mai 3 but not if they are made in China .

4BBC00B3-BE9E-4594-B9DA-D38F0D6C6851.jpeg3B49583A-135E-40A8-A165-2CCFF6EF1A1B.jpeg

Here are a couple more of my custom knives I have. The first is a Trollsky Raider, I got it from a knife maker in Poland. The secon is a Lost River Bushcrafter, I got from Tindall Knives.

I think all the San Mai blades are made in Japan. All the older trail master and master hunters in carbon V were made at Camillus. The new huntmaster is CPM 3v and made in Italy, I think.

Mike

If you hate money, keep an eye out for a reasonably sized Busse. I was a bit skeptical on the hype, and the owner has a weird outlook on marketing. Also, they initiate most of their sales via bladeforum since their website only has a few items listed. Those issues aside, it has been my absolute favorite camping knife when paired with a sheath that has the altoids container compartment.

Reactions: BadDogPSD
I would recommend a few different knives. When I go in the woods I have a folder in my pocket, a Mora in my bag and a Tramontina machete for chopping. A lot of guys treat knives like designer jewelry....its just a tool. The Moras are perfect for stashing around vehicles and tool boxes so you are never without a very usable blade.

Reactions: shoobe01
Mora Knives they are cheap in price only. Swiss made, scandi grind, full tang blades. No need in spending a fortune on a big out blade.
An excellent choice, and also a good /knife/. Too many recommendations around how the knife can be used for stuff a knife would not ideally be used for. If you need to cut firewood, etc. then bring a folding saw (Sven saw is my favorite still), if you need to dig, bring a shovel (plastic and titanum ones take no weight and size, good enough for catholes, other small work), and,.. so on. I use EMT shears and cord cutters in the field 1000x more than a big knife.

Beware the unitasker. One tool that does everything may not be great at any one off them. Feel free to hate on me for this :)

Reactions: Alabusa
Kit knives and the owner knows it.

No sir they are bushcraft as a motherfucker!

Bark river golok chipped 1/4” half moon not once but twice. Chopping green oak limbs the first time using a piece of the trunk as a chopping block. 2nd time the oak limbs were slightly less green as it took 2 weeks for bark river to grind out the chip.

Now it is on special super extreme bushcraft as fuck duties in the large fruit knife response unit.

If you hate money, keep an eye out for a reasonably sized Busse. I was a bit skeptical on the hype, and the owner has a weird outlook on marketing. Also, they initiate most of their sales via bladeforum since their website only has a few items listed. Those issues aside, it has been my absolute favorite camping knife when paired with a sheath that has the altoids container compartment.

Busse Badger Attack is on of my favorites.
22428.jpg

I saw mention up-thread about Cold Stell and cheap Chinese junk. The only Cold Steel I ever bought was in the late 80s, it was a San Mai folder and it was complete junk even then. Impossible to get a good edge and keep it.

My bugout bag has a Spyderco Aqua Salt in it. I bought this knife several years ago at a good discount. Incredibly sharp and well made.

I just noticed that Cold Steel is making the Master hunter and SRK from CPM 3V. They are made in Italy. Depending on the heat treat they should solid options for a bugout bag.

Mike

Reactions: thejeep
Chris Reeves, Surefire, ZT, or the older model/made in USA (BG42 Steel) SOG’s would all fill the role nicely. All solid blades!?
39804F62-9FB7-4259-870C-D73B7C977ABD.jpeg
9C4D664C-A180-4CF4-9655-E71E0813E2EB.jpeg
51517F10-0AD3-45C0-BD5B-5E8B0C119E81.jpeg
C0B813DB-F7CD-4213-95BA-C1B2938C02E6.jpeg

Not going to doubt your expertise as it's far greater than mine, but exactly what task can an esee 4 5 or 6 not do? I haven't found it.

If you are referring to my post, lets do a needs assessment and see. Nobody can estimate an unknown so lets establish a few standards just as a guide.

( going to exclude all hammering/kinetic functions because that's really the handle not the blade and I suppose a hex nut could be welded to the bottom of a scalpel to get that effect)

If the situation is survival ( life and limb) and the scenario is isolation ( what you have is all you are going to get) then I believe the 3 most critical considerations for a blade are: (in no particular order)

Edge- surgical cutting for first aid up to cutting say tire rubber for some form of device

Tensile/Hardness strength- use in combat ( possibly against another edged weapon) or hacking branches or prying (I would put tip strength here as that's a function of the blade geometry)

Ability to retain and restore those 2 for the duration of the need.

finer grained and alloyed steels ideal for precision cutting are not good for impact and loading and vice versa.

So in my opinion, given the infinite scenarios ( and the fact my life will depend on my choice) I prefer to estimate what tasks I might reasonably encounter in a given environment ( so multiple bug out bags or a single one packed for the situation) with the necessary implements for those tasks.

Granted that's more space, weight, cost and even noise during travel but I personally prefer that to a lone snapped blade that hit a tree wrong and now I'm out of business in all of them.

Lastly, there is no right or wrong just personal choice and preference based on experience and I personally have been bit a few times because I used to live for that magical do everything blade and have been left wanting.

How much would blade shape play a role?

Arkansas toothpick or Bowie look to be snapped tips waiting to happen but if you are interested in stabby tasks good to go.

I favors me a drop point with a bit of false edge just in case you need a drill.

How much would blade shape play a role?

Arkansas toothpick or Bowie look to be snapped tips waiting to happen but if you are interested in stabby tasks good to go.

I favors me a drop point with a bit of false edge just in case you need a drill.
I agree a drop point would be high on the list of blade shapes.

Here was my mental excercise on my perfect knife......

image.jpg

Got someone thinking on it.

That almost resembles a LMF at first glance...

I spent the weekend with a PR4 ESEE with the Kephart blade (and did it in Kephart's and my stomping grounds the Smokies...). This blade should get serious consideration, I fully understand why Kephart liked the blade. I would completely feel safe sticking this knife in a bug out bag (in fact this one I am giving to my oldest son along with a copy of Kephart's book Camping and Woodcraft he just dont know it yet.) Mine is the first production run and number 27 off the line :)

or go cheap and try out the kephart blade.

OP back to review the thread. I knew I should shout out to the SH mob before purchasing and am glad that I did.

Blacksmith of Isaiah i appreciate your response on the purpose vs design and understand and agree completely - much like why you don't try to shoot a bear at 2-300 yards with a .454 Casull and why you don't carry an extra rifle across your chest for personal protection in the tree stand for those times when the bear starts climbing your tree ...

I have learned a lot and thank you my brothers !! I can see that I will need at least as many knives as I have guns ...

I agree with the folder in the pocket and handy 4"-ish fixed blade on the belt and a 5-7" ( and saw?) in the ruck or installed on the ruck straps ... now to decide which ones ...

An unintended consequence is that I turned a $140.00 purchase into at least $400-$1,000+ of purchases. So fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Basher
Very mixed advice here. Plenty of it good, but the rest makes it confusing.

Knives are tools. What you plan to do with one will determine what the best tool for the job is. It would help if you assign specific tasks for your knife before you decide. Don't give the lazy 'everything' answer. The climate and wilderness around you pose specific challenges.

Instead of looking for a do it all knife, add a small hatchet to your kit. The Fiskars X7 hatchet only weighs 1.5 pounds. If you place one in your pack, your capabilities are far greater than any knife will give you. With that in your kit, a ~4" drop point blade is all you need. I would get the Fallkniven F1 myself, but many of the choices mentioned here are equally good. That knife should be on your hip, so pick a comfortable and secure sheath.

If you don't like the idea of a hatchet, then a larger knife would be better. Maybe a Fallkniven S1, or Esee 6, or again, many of the good larger knives recommended here. Whatever you get, be sure a great sheath is a part of the package, even if you have to buy one.

For either scenario, you also need a backup knife. A Mora stainless Companion adds a mere 4 ounces to your pack, which includes the usable plastic sheath. This will also give you a clean, sharp knife for food processing.

Don't forget a Bic lighter. You can use it to start your fire when the babes are not around :)

Reactions: Sutherlandsd
Have you viewed any Nepalese made Gurkha Kukri knives? IMO, They're solid, extremely sharp and you can cut, slash, split wood, hammer and rather deadly for those that know how to wield them offensively/defensively. The Kukuri is generally under $100 for the cheap ones sold by Amazon. And $150+ for some good quality from Tora in Nepal . And nylon sheaths too. Generally speaking Kukuri' come with leather covers over wooden sheaths. You get what you pay for....like everything else.

Last edited:
Have you viewed any Nepalese made Gurkha Kukri knives? IMO, They're solid, extremely sharp and you can cut, slash, split wood, hammer and rather deadly for those that know how to wield them offensively/defensively. The Kukuri is generally under $100. And yes you can get them with a nylon sheath as well.

Make sure you get one made with Toyota springs not Subaru, they rust....

Im not making fun of the suggestion.

The Philipinos all carried spring steel sourced knives in the PI and they cut slashed and hacked lots of jungle.

Make sure you get one made with Toyota springs not Subaru, they rust....

Im not making fun of the suggestion.

The Philipinos all carried spring steel sourced knives in the PI and they cut slashed and hacked lots of jungle.

Lols, I took no offense. ...I just preferred my Kukri rather than the PI Made knife they tried to sell me at the mini/intro to their Jungle school in Subic Bay. Both knives worked equally well and did what they were designed/made for. The PI made knives were heavier though in my experience. Thank you for posting the video on the subject.

Semper FI

Reactions: pmclaine
Lols, I took no offense. ...I just preferred my Kukri rather than the PI Made knife they tried to sell me at the mini/intro to their Jungle school in Subic Bay. Both knives worked equally well and did what they were designed/made for. The PI made knives were heavier though in my experience. Thank you for posting the video on the subject.

Semper FI

Loved the dudes double big toe vice......OSHA must shit when it sees such videos.

So did the OP ever make a decision about a fixed blade knife for his bug out bag?

I have 1970's vintage 6" Randal that my father gave me with our (same name) engraved on it ... too nice to put in the BoB. That's what started this. I have a collection of SpyderCo folders and will take one of those and have one of these laying around:

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-carpenters-axe/ This is as sharp as any knife that i carry.

I am leaning towards the Esse 4" maybe 5"

Might replace the carpenters axe with one of the folding saws recommended in the thread. Great stuff ... all of this information!

I have 5 listed on the classifieds. Its a heavy beast though very solid very thick.

You also wouldn't be too bad off with the good old Buck 119. Not spectacular by any means but very functional and available nearly every where. Not super expensive, you could outfit every vehicle with one. You could do much worse.

Mike

Have had a Greyman West Nile Warrior going for almost 20 years. Indestructable and easy to sharpen in the field. Like the curved blade for chopping. Use it to dig, pry, chop, hammer, etc since I always have a folder and leatherman as well so a large one filled a lot of other roles.

Half Face Blades is my go to companies for fixed blades.

Last edited:
Well folks to report back.

So I just got back from a Deer Snipe in UT. Stopped by the BladeHQ shop in Lehi UT (very dangerous) and was lucky to get out of there for less than $1,000.

Purchased a Chris Reeve Pacific 6" but I agonized for a long time not leaving with the Bradford Guardian 5" and almost bought both. I also picked up 2 ESSE 5" with the flint and steel in the handles that were on sale for christmas presents and another Kershaw Leek composite to replace the one that I lost (have lost about 5 of those).

Many thanks to all who have contributed their knowledge and experience to this thread. It was really hard to choose as there are so many great options, in fact, I had purchased a 6" Benchmade at Cabelas earlier but then returned it after getting the Chris Reeve Pacific.

I need to add a smaller (4") to the collection and am thinking it will be a 4" Dawson or Bradford for hunting. I might even go with a 3" but that might be too short.

Got the CR Pacific fitted to the BoB ... so fun.

Thank you all ...

Excellent choice! It should serve you very well, you never really ever go wrong going with any of the Chris Reeve knives.

Has anyone given any thought to why so many of us guys love knives? I have no reason to own as many as I do, but I've always been drawn to them. The very first knife I owned was my Cub Scout USA pocket knife my father purchased for me and I vividly remember getting it and being in awe and so proud. I suppose today I'd be thrown out of school, for I took it to school the next day and showed all my friends.

Ah...the good old days.

But seriously...I have a knife fetish worse than my wife's shoe obsession.

Has anyone given any thought to why so many of us guys love knives?

Its phallic, a thrusting weapon to stand in and allow us the tools we lack.

and "us" is not the appropriate pronoun....

(You, them, they)