• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice on AR-15 upper

psywar

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2002
Austin, TX
www.stiefelmaier.com
Hello,

I have a Seekins AR-15 lower inbound (yahoo!) and I need an upper for it. I bought a RRA lpk for the stripped lower, but will put in a Geissele DMR or JP trigger soon.

I want to shoot out to 600 yards, so I am thinking a 18-20" barrel with 1:7 or 1:8 twist so to stabilize 77 / 80 gr SMKs. I'd like a FF rail forend for attaching optics and a bipod.

I was thinking:

a Larue Stealth upper (Lothar Walther barrel)
an APA upper (Broughton 5C barrel)
a custom Denny's Gun (Krieger barrel)
a custom MSTN (WOA barrel)

assuming roughly the same price ($1200+), are any one of these options <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">clearly</span></span> better than the rest? I am a decent shooter, but I try to buy quality, even when I am not worthy of the hardware.

thanks in advance for your opinions,
psywar

Re: Need advice on AR-15 upper

I would call up Compass Lake, talk to frank white the man really knows his stuff and can build you a hell of rifle

I would get in line over at jp enterprises for an upper. Mine should be here any day now and I ordered in January.

I'd vote for LaRue or Noveske for an out-of-the-box solution or MSTN for a custom solution. All have great customer service. 1:8 twist should be sufficient.

i have several MSTN uppers and Wes's stuff ROCKS! cant go wrong there!!. I have a 12.5 upper from him that shoots 1/2moa at 100 yards!!!

White Oak is the go to upper for high power. If you want a shooter, you couldnt do any better.

I have heard good things about Centurion Arms. I just recently ordered a Recce upper from them. I am putting it on a POF lower. I am also putting a AAC M4-2000 flash hider on it for a QD suppressor as well. Check them out below. I think you may be interested in the Mk12 Mod 1 or the DMR.

http://www.centurionarms.com/index.html

Any one else have any experience with these uppers?

Re: Need advice on AR-15 upper RRA ROCKS

My Rock River Arms Varmint (24x,920" barrel)easily out shot my White Oak upper(26x.750" barrel) on the same lower. I'd love to try this rifle farther out but only have 300 yds

Re: Need advice on AR-15 upper RRA ROCKS

I would go with the Larue Stealth Upper with the Kreiger barrel!
That combo will outdo any of the compass and white oak. Look at what most of the three gun champs use (Krieger Barrel) I have never found a Larue product I wish I never bought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For Upper of Quality als Check out
Compass Lake Engineering

http://www.compasslake.com/ </div></div>

Your website hurts my eyes.

I have shot three of the 4 (not APA) and owned both Denny's and Wes's (MSTN) guns and you can't go wrong with any of them! Talk to them all and see who you feel comfortable with...

Jay

Without a doubt, Compass Lake. Nice family owned business. You get none of the arrogant ego stuff from gruff gun guys. Very nice people very informative and great customer service. They do alot of work with high power shooters and specialty gov't comtracts like the USMC SAM-R rifle barrel. They know accuracy.

I recently received my Krieger upper from them. It routinely shoots 1/2~3/4 inch at 100 with the cheap 75 grain PPU stuff. It does sub MOA out to 200. Can't wait to take it out further.

As a matter of fact I just placed another order for a Douglas SS for my crapper chrome lined bushy.

Frank says a Kriger should last 6-7K and a Douglas about 5K in SS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StrikeHold</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For Upper of Quality als Check out
Compass Lake Engineering

http://www.compasslake.com/ </div></div>

Your website hurts my eyes. </div></div>

That web sight sent me into an Epileptic fit.... DANG..It has to be just about the worst website... I am sure the product is great but really spend a buck to get it done right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LaRue all the way... I can hot 12" gongs at 600 yards all day and mine has a 16" barrel...

</div></div>
I can do this inside 6" with my 24" DPMS using 75gr BTHP(little or no wind of course)
grin.gif

The last time I shot 800yrds all my hits were under 12" with this same barrel/upper.
JP trigger,shimmed upper and lower and shooting prone off a bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minsane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without a doubt, Compass Lake. Nice family owned business. You get none of the arrogant ego stuff from gruff gun guys. Very nice people very informative and great customer service. They do alot of work with high power shooters and specialty gov't comtracts like the USMC SAM-R rifle barrel. They know accuracy.

I recently received my Krieger upper from them. It routinely shoots 1/2~3/4 inch at 100 with the cheap 75 grain PPU stuff. It does sub MOA out to 200. Can't wait to take it out further.

As a matter of fact I just placed another order for a Douglas SS for my crapper chrome lined bushy.

Frank says a Kriger should last 6-7K and a Douglas about 5K in SS </div></div>

I get the same groups with my M&P with stock barrel! My DPMS with the Krieger shoots 1/4 MOA at 100 so sometimes you just get a good barrel stock and somtimes you have to pay to get the one you want.

Wow 1/4 MOA! After reading that one I measured the back of a penny with the Lincoln Memorial. That group is smaller than the mesurement from the top to the bottom of the memorial on a penny. You can imagine what the overall diameter of the group would be. The overall diamemter of the penny end to end is about 3/4 inches!

Could you post a pic of that? What load are you using? I'm currently shooting a krieger with a crappy RRA standard two stage, but have a Geissele Trigger on order. Maybe that will help and handloads.

If you are shooting that consistently without the help of one of those contraptions that holds both the front of the rifle and the butstock then you are one hell of a shot. That is almost too incredible to believe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minsane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow 1/4 MOA! After reading that one I measured the back of a penny with the Lincoln Memorial. That group is smaller than the mesurement from the top to the bottom of the memorial on a penny. You can imagine what the overall diameter of the group would be. The overall diamemter of the penny end to end is about 3/4 inches!

Could you post a pic of that? What load are you using? I'm currently shooting a krieger with a crappy RRA standard two stage, but have a Geissele Trigger on order. Maybe that will help and handloads.

If you are shooting that consistently without the help of one of those contraptions that holds both the front of the rifle and the butstock then you are one hell of a shot. That is almost too incredible to believe. </div></div>

Are you saying that you have some misgivings believing someone's claims about his shooting ability on the Internet? What are you, some kind of Luddite? Don't you know the rules by now? If one day, you are able to somehow put 3 shots together on a piece of paper, that becomes your new shooting standard; your rifle system is able to shoot that tight, on demand, all day long, in any condition, with the crappiest ammo, as long as you do your part. You are allowed to throw away the flyers, called or uncalled. Also, if you are now shooting well under sub-MOA at 100 yards, it stands to reason that you will do that at any distance, it's a mathematical certainty; you don't even have to try any longer distances.

And then reality happens.

Oh, ok I get it now. Under those rules my best group without flyers and just counting three shots is 1/4 MOA with my Krieger. Hell, I even got 1/2 MOA with my shot out chrome lined bushy shooting 55 grain M193 the other day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See how easy it is? </div></div>
LOL
smile.gif
Well 1/4 MOA I wouldn't dare say,BUT if I will brag about one thing is my rifle and I(Under good shooting conditions) are 1 MOA to 600yrds using the same 75gr Hornady BTHP magfed ammo I always use(once in a while under 3" 5shot groups)..
800 yrds was a struggle but out of at least 20 rnds all rounds were inside 12" when I got on target.

The 600yrd 1MOA thing is a very regular result.
The 800yrds is farely new 2 me.
I get what your saying But I am happy with my results and honest oppinion
smile.gif
1/4 MOA is a claim I will let someone else take credit for
grin.gif

Hey Bucky Brew:

So you are saying that you are getting 6 inches at 600? That is MOA or are you saying that you are getting 1 inch at 600?

I just want to get to know that capability of my rifle.

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minsane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bucky Brew:

So you are saying that you are getting 6 inches at 600? That is MOA or are you saying that you are getting 1 inch at 600?

I just want to get to know that capability of my rifle.

grin.gif
</div></div>
So is MOA MOA Or am I missing a differently calibrated MOA
grin.gif

Yes,My ar15 shoots well inside of 6" at 600yrds even with my lack of shooting ability and skill
wink.gif
It may not be much to some(or maybe it is) but it makes me happy knowing I can load up the magfed ammo and bipod and go have some fun.
Staying inside MOA is my goal for as long a range as possible.
There have been many 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100yrds with this setup and sometimes better.

I always use the same bullets(75gr bthp) and try and stick with a consistent method of reloading and shooting style(prone).

Ive shot in some wind at 600 yrds and still had predictable results on target .

Beyond 600 yrds(as in the 800yrds Ive shot with this same ammo)Things were a little more tricky but still quite consistent.The wind was calm and very little mirage.I adjusted out the parallax and had a blast with my magfed ammo
smile.gif
My ar15 will shoot just about anything well.
You may get 1/4 MOA but it is very hard to whole heartedly believe I have to admit.
At what ranges are you getting 1/4 MOA???
smirk.gif

Maybe with a special rig,But No way with my ar15 or my shooting ability thats for sure..
Your the MAN!!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuckyBrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (snip)
Yes,My ar15 shoots well inside of 6" at 600yrds even with my lack of shooting ability and skill
wink.gif
(snip) </div></div>

See, I told you it was easy; well under sub-MOA all day long at 600 yards. :)

I feel the same way sub MOA out to 200 is great for me. Good to know that I may be able to get 6 inches out to 600. I really do find 1/4 MOA unbelievable.

I'm new to the forum but have a White Oak service rifle upper for NRA matches and have had no trouble with it. Mechanical zero is 100 yard zero. John and Paul were very helpful with any questions I had about the order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minsane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel the same way sub MOA out to 200 is great for me. Good to know that I may be able to get 6 inches out to 600. I really do find 1/4 MOA unbelievable. </div></div>

You did detect a whiff of sarcasm in my answer, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minsane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel the same way sub MOA out to 200 is great for me. Good to know that I may be able to get 6 inches out to 600. I really do find 1/4 MOA unbelievable. </div></div>

You did detect a whiff of sarcasm in my answer, right? </div></div>

Sig,,,I understand your doubt and there is nothing I can do to prove otherwise.
I can show you targets(well actually they are steel indents on a 2' square steel plate the last I shot at 600yrds) but what will that prove.
I can show you 1/2" groups at 100 yrds with some near 5 shot 1/4 inch groups but what will that prove.
My rifle is very predictable to at least 600yrds with my handloads .It DOES SHOOT INSIDE MOA(6") at 600 yrds!!

No matter what I say or how easy it is for me to say it(fact or fiction),,YOU will just as easily blow it off and say "how easy it is to make these claims"
wink.gif
.If I'm making a stretch,it would have to be the claim of "All day long"
smirk.gif
.Quite honestly ive never shot all day long,but every time I shoot at this distance in calm wind conditions my results on target are consistent at that range.
There is no proof on the internet so whatever
cool.gif

Anyways ,,back to topic.
Psywar ,As far as accuracy goes I would be more concerned with what type of barrel and chamber you have in your upper, not so much what brand(well I'm sure thats as immportant as anything).My carrier is very sloppy in my upper but has had 0 effect on accuracy IMO.I would however check upper to lower fit and shim if there is any slop.
I was VERY lucky with my dpms I'm sure your upper will shoot well as long as your carefull with it.My dpms has a very short lead in the chamberand DOES NOT like any NATO type ammo ,or HP wolf will not even chamber properly(Shape of the ogive jams hard into my lead).
I would hope you get some type of match chamber when you order your upper.The barrel and chamber is the most important part to accuracy.That is were I would do the most research before you order.I would go with a 20" personally just to gain a little more velocity for longer ranges.Oh and 1-8 twist is what I'm using and is great for anything under 80gr.
It sounds like your prospects are very good ,
grin.gif

does anyone know if the lead time for most custom uppers are still 6 months + out? I've heard that some shipments of parts have been coming into the builders, but I wasn't sure if the time from order to build is still way out there.
Thanks!

You would be very hard to beat either a Compass Lake or WOA upper, they will build it the way you want for a little extra cash. IMHO you would be better off with either a 1-7 or 1-6.5 twist, I use a WOA with a Kreiger 1-6.5 on my service gun and am able to hold sub 1 moa at 600 yards (iron sights). But we all know that sight alignment is the key. Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KCEnder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anyone know if the lead time for most custom uppers are still 6 months + out? I've heard that some shipments of parts have been coming into the builders, but I wasn't sure if the time from order to build is still way out there.
Thanks! </div></div>
I was quoted 60-90 days for my upper from Centurion Arms. I though that was pretty reasonable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuckyBrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minsane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel the same way sub MOA out to 200 is great for me. Good to know that I may be able to get 6 inches out to 600. I really do find 1/4 MOA unbelievable. </div></div>

You did detect a whiff of sarcasm in my answer, right? </div></div>

Sig,,,I understand your doubt and there is nothing I can do to prove otherwise.
I can show you targets(well actually they are steel indents on a 2' square steel plate the last I shot at 600yrds) but what will that prove.
I can show you 1/2" groups at 100 yrds with some near 5 shot 1/4 inch groups but what will that prove.
My rifle is very predictable to at least 600yrds with my handloads .It DOES SHOOT INSIDE MOA(6") at 600 yrds!!

No matter what I say or how easy it is for me to say it(fact or fiction),,YOU will just as easily blow it off and say "how easy it is to make these claims"
wink.gif
.If I'm making a stretch,it would have to be the claim of "All day long"
smirk.gif
.Quite honestly ive never shot all day long,but every time I shoot at this distance in calm wind conditions my results on target are consistent at that range.
There is no proof on the internet so whatever
cool.gif

(snip)</div></div>

Since our esteemed OP has disappeared, I was not going to continue on this thread, however, I believe that I owe you the courtesy of an answer.

Bucky, you and others can make all the claims of phenomenal, flawless accuracy you want, I chose to disregard them. Beyond that, any time someone makes such claims, I consider any other statement they make with the same jaundiced eye. Before you sputter further and come back with even more baseless claims, let me explain.

I have been shooting for a long time, and I have seen (or even did myself) some amazing shots, but these are not the norm. These are far outstripped by the number of bad shoots I have seen and taken.

A good shot is subjective, and certainly dependant on the target/purpose. A hunter who is able to kill his prey with a properly placed shot does not need to be MOA perfect; he (she) needs to be able to stalk his prey, indentify it, and get a shot off in what may be less than perfect circumstances at a target that may or may not be moving. If the deer falls down DRT from a bullet placed in his boiler room, MOA accuracy is not required. Group size is irrelevant as long as from a cold barrel, the rifle system is able to place the bullet in a fair sized bullseye. You're a smart man, you make the equivalence to the other uses in which a rifle is employed.

But here we are talking about pure accuracy, and for that measure there is only one place to look to and that's competition shooting. Instead of saying, I shot at a trapezoidal-shaped piece of steel measuring 7.254 inches on one of its sides, there are standards and records. Also, over the years, targets have been keeping up with the level of achievements.

So, the current level of targets for High power/Service rifle is a 2 MOA 10-ring and a 1MOA X-ring. In F-class, the 10-ring is a 1MOA affair (actually a touch smaller,) and 0.5 MOA X-ring. The size of a group is also very important. Just so you know, to me any group size less than 10 or better yet 20 is meaningless. The more the merrier and the more accurate your measurements will be. This includes ALL the shots, called and uncalled flyers.

At 100 and 200 yards, my match rifles (.223 and .308) will devour a hole in the paper, especially if the range is sheltered from the wind. All I have to do is keep the target dot on the little point on the target and pull the trigger without disturbing the rifle. It's very easy and if the rifle system doesn't do that, there is no need to go any further.

Here we are talking 600 yards and that means the F-class target 10-ring is 6 inches across, the X-ring is 3 inches. When I go to odcmp.org and look at the records for 600 yards in Service Rifle, (20 rounds prone), a person shooting subMOA with iron sights would have a score of 200-20. I found nothing even close to that. I have found many mid to high 190s (with each point under 200 being a shot outside the 2 MOA 10-ring,) but the X-count, which is the 1 MOA ring is not anywhere near 20.

In F-class, the scores are about the same, maybe a touch higher. A subMOA rifle system (shooter, rifle, ammo, scope) will have a score of 200-x where x is a number greater than 0 but less than 21. This is called a clean, and if a shooting system can do that each and every time it comes to the line, I call that an MOA shooter. If it can get a 200-20X, every time, I call that a true half-MOA shooting system.

I have been shooting F-class for several years, and I can assure you that I have seen very few cleans at 600 and I don't remember any at 1000, though I saw one that came to within one shot of it. And we are talking F-open here, with the fancy, heavy rifles, rests and advanced calibers and riflescopes that will let you see Uranus and its moons.

So, as you can see, it's all a matter of perspective and you can see why I do not believe ANYONE who says they are a subMOA shooter at 600 yards, or even 300 yards.

Sinister posted something sometime back about how they test the accuracy of rifles at some agency or group or other. The rifles are locked into a device and shot at a sheltered range. That's a very different rifle system, where only two things matter; rifle and ammo.

Now, that I have insulted all the self-professed subMOA shooters here, let's go back to the subject. So when Psywar posted the OP which I repeat here:

"Hello,

I have a Seekins AR-15 lower inbound (yahoo!) and I need an upper for it. I bought a RRA lpk for the stripped lower, but will put in a Geissele DMR or JP trigger soon.

I want to shoot out to 600 yards, so I am thinking a 18-20" barrel with 1:7 or 1:8 twist so to stabilize 77 / 80 gr SMKs. I'd like a FF rail forend for attaching optics and a bipod.

I was thinking:

a custom MSTN (WOA barrel)

assuming roughly the same price ($1200+), are any one of these options clearly better than the rest? I am a decent shooter, but I try to buy quality, even when I am not worthy of the hardware.

thanks in advance for your opinions,
psywar "

I was going to answer that anyone of those would be fine, I seriously doubt that his shooting system would be limited by the accuracy of any of these uppers. Properly built, none are "clearly better" than the others.

Let me give you a discription on what and how I have got consistent 300-600 yrds MOA results and beyond that I cannot do a thing to prove one way or another.
1st ill give you my backyard gear specs and method
wink.gif

dpms 24" stainless a3 bull upper,Olympic maxhard lower with paper shims between upper and lower reciever and front pivot point and back pin across(Very solid fit).
Jp single stage trigger with k.n.s pins.
I have weighted the rears stock with extra bullets mixed with silicon rubber as an insert(no kidding
smile.gif
).
the rifle weighs near 14lbs.
I handload 75gr bthp magfed with modified orlite mags(as in front cut out so bullets will magfeed as well as chopped to fit flush withmagwellat 10 rnds) so I can just touch the rifling .
I use a 8-32x burris signature with burris offset rings for elevation changes.Its mounted on a A.R.M.S swan sleave for optimum eye placement
I use a harris bipod(with rubber buffer between mount and tube) and in the past(for best accuracy) I have used a rear sandbag along with the harris laying on a mat PRONE.

Without the bag I DO NOT believe I can shoot consistent MOA and I WILL NOT claim that!!
I do O.K. without the rear bag ,but in no way as consistent

I only have my friends as witness on multiple occasions that My rig DOES shoot under MOA to 600 yrds.

Those same friends have seen me shoot most of 20rnds inside of 12" at 800yrds(VERY LITTLE WIND IF ANY)one time.
I do NOT shoot competition and don't realy care if you do or do not(you could be lying you know
grin.gif
).
I know how a measuring tape works and I can add and multiply a bit
wink.gif
You don't believe me?? thats O.K. i'll get over it.
But at least I know i'm doing something right and my friends wouldn't dissagree .
I am very lucky someone made a super consistent barrel with just about everything I fire through it(good deal).
You NOT believing me makes me a little sad I guess but why would I believe anything you say either.So in the end it doesn't matter does it ? Welcome to the internet..If we met in person we wouldn't be debating this..We would probably be having fun without the doubt
cool.gif

Sig685,,
I think you misunderstand were I'm coming from.
I never said I can shoot in wind.
My posts clearly stated that.
Ive guessed a couple times and done O.K.
But I AM NOT or eversaid I am a skilled and trained shooter.
I'm NOT claiming to be a better shooter than you or even have 1/2 a clue as youwhen it comes to proper shooting technic or skill.
What I have said over and over is when conditions are good(as in very little wind for me) My rifle and I can shoot inside 6"(MOA) reliably to 600 yrds.
I'm not saying competition shooting or 1st shot placed(true skill and knowledge).
I'm not saying open sights.

What I am saying is when I have adjusted to get on target,,,I can repeat the shots over and over and get well inside MOA to 600 yrds with my rig and setup.
Can I do this without the rear sandbag over and over?
NOT LIKELY but I am trying
wink.gif
.Can I do this without the advantage of optics and a good sight picture?
Probably not.
smile.gif

Ive done away with the rearbag because I know what the rifle and ammo is capable on a regular bases.
Now I need to learn the skill without the sandbag(bipod only)
Hey,,I understand your doubt and I can say ive felt the same way to a good many posts.
Theres no proof here for you
grin.gif

Hey guys:

Man we have gotten way off topic here. To answer a previous question Compass Lake quoted me a two week wait on my Douglas barrel and matched bolt. I think that it will actually run about 3 weeks. In my opinion 2 to 6 months is a crazy wait for just a factory barrel.

My Krieger that I received took about 45 days, but they were a little backed up with their Krieger orders.

What got me into the premium barrels in the first place were the crazy waits for factory barrels. In the end I pay a little extra and I mean a little extra for much improved accuracy, better customer service and great workmanship.

I have seen factory barrels sell for $400-$450 in the secondary market. No bolt. That's a chrome lined 1 in 7 twist and 5.56 chamber. Just a factory barrel. That's crazy, but people are paying that. Just my two cents worth on Compass Lake.

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: psywar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,
a custom MSTN (WOA barrel)</div></div>

I think there is another aspect to review. What are you going to be using this rifle for? IS it just plinking or is it going to be a rifle you may use to keep you alive? I will assume since you want to shoot heavy SMK's it will just be target. I ask this because .223 bullet <span style="font-style: italic">velocity</span> is important. While velocity doesn't necessarily make accuracy, it does help accuracy at longer ranges.
If you want to stay out of the trans-sonic region out to 600 yards, then I would recommend a <span style="font-weight: bold">20" </span>barrel <span style="font-style: italic">at least</span>. If the new rifle is just going to be a bench rifle, then I would go with 22"-24", especially with the higher SMK's you are mentioning.
I have many, many AR's. I have experience with MSTN, Larue, and Krieger barrels.
Wes at MSTN puts our some great specialty uppers, but they are generally tactical uppers that cannot afford to be too long and unwieldy. Upper manufacturers that use Krieger barrels expect the rifle owners to respect the boundaries that a tight, match-grade chamber imposes, on top of the care that a high grade stainless barrel needs regarding over heating them and permanently affecting the accuracy Krieger worked so hard to perfect.
JPE can also build a phenominal shooter but again it is going to have a long barrel to maintain the velocity at long ranges, making it less "tactical" in the field.
I personally am a fan of the accuracy that Krieger presents, but there is a time and place for double-lapped, single-point cut rifling with a tight match chamber. Tight match chambers don't like to accept, or extract gas-fed cartridges when they are hot. Putting a standard chamber into a Kreiger barrel is a waste of barrel from the throat forward.
While I have some 22" and 24" tack drivers in the .223 caliber in AR-15 platforms, in a SHTF situation, (and IF I couldn't grab my AR-10(T)Carbine, my favorite ;)) I would pass them all up for my 16" Frankensteined Oly, DPMS, Armalite flat- topped, LW barrelled, collapsible stocked AR-15 (T). It can shoot sub MOA out to 400 yards, survive a few mag-dumps from my drunk buddies, is compact, and "Tactical". With quality ammo it can compete to 300 yards with a 22" barrelled chromoly barrel. I have an AIMPOINT on that can be switched out to a Leupold 4-14X40 with ARMS throw lever mounts for long and close range. After 300 yards however, the loss of velocity due to the shorter barrel really begins to present itself with loss of energy at the target.
The last thing to consider is the twist of the barrel. Generally 55 grain surplus is the most readily available in bulk. Going with a twist specifically to shoot the heavier bullets will really affect the accuracy of the lighter 55 grainer's if you want to shoot surplus or military issue. 1/8 is a good compromise. IMO packing around a 20 or 30 rounds hi-cap mag in a match-grade purpose-built rifle that would not like the heat of all of those rounds fired in a hurry is just extra weight.
I realize <span style="font-weight: bold">Armalite</span> has a backorder wait right now, but who doesn't? You might be surprised on the accuracy of their 20" AR-15(T)uppers for half the cost ($600) ARMALITE of the manufacturers you listed above.
Ar15.com may help you further in your decision. While I am new to post here, I am known as <span style="font-weight: bold">WARDOG7366</span> over there for many years.
I hope this helped.

Hey Psywar,,Just talk to the manufacturer on your intensions and the Chamber and barrel you require.
Get something intended for Match shooting unless your needing mil-spec(like mentioned by WARDOG).
Its the proper Chamber type and barrel that will get you your accuracy your looking for in an upper.
IMO if you want the best accuracy at 600+ yrds this should be your primary concern.
I think WARDOGS oppinons are well said.
Realy be sure what your looking for and your needs before spending the money.
One design can't do everything,only what it was designed to do.

I hate to keep harping on the same subject, but CLE will build it the way you want and with the chamber the way you want. I have a 20 inch Krieger 1 in 7.7 twist with .223 Wydle chamber. It will shoot 5.56. My lower is a Bushy with a VLTOR stock and a Rock River standard two stage trigger and I'm still managing sub MOA at 100 and 200. Just for ##### and giggles I shot some 5.56 M193 and it printed 3 inches. I don't plan on doing that again. Mag dumps are out of the question. The .223 Wydle chamber seems to work for me with the added flexability to shoot 5.56 if I need to in a bad situation.

People say that a tighter chamber may improve accuracy, but with my skills and setup currently, do I need to shoot better than 1/2 inches at 100 without the flexability of using 5.56 if I need to? My answer is probably not. The .223 Wydle chamber works for me.