• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Advice on Bolt Action + Scope Short Cut - Is it worth it?

HumbleEinstein

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2013
Virginia
I'm a little torn. I have a number of handguns and ARs, but I'm now in the process of saving up for my first precision bolt action. My goal is to get a Rem 700 setup in an XLR chassis with a few extras on it. Eventually, I'll get it trued and re-barreled, but that's way down the line. I also plan on putting a SWFA 5-20 on it, which I plan on buying used. That will cost me around 1k. In order to accelerate the process, I was thinking about buying a used fixed SWFA first with the same Mil-Quad reticle to get me started sooner. I have never had a fixed power scope before. Does this make sense? If so, would you go for their 10x, 12x, 16x, or 20x? I think the 10x costs the most, has the best resale, and the lowest power, and so on. Or would you go for a 20x for the lower cost and magnification? Or would you just wait until you can afford the 5-20x?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I never ran a fixed power scope before the ss 10x. It's a very nice scope for the money. I bought mine used and am 90% positive I could sell it tomorrow without taking a loss other than the shipping. Depends on your timeline but if you're going to have to save for an extra 6 months to buy the 5-20 I say buy the 10x for now and shoot until you can afford what you really want. You won't lose more than maybe 50 dollars anyways.

Buy once.

Skip the XLR chassis for now, if you need to, in order to afford the right glass the first time.

What's funny is that I said I'd never buy a fixed power scope. I now have a whole "stable" of variable power scopes and I'll be darned if I know whether the magnification adjustment still works on any of them. They all sit on the "power" I find best for the range I'm shooting the rifle at.

The 10x scope is, I believe, still the military standard for their precision rifles. It's really going to depend on whether you just want to hit a target in the distance or put several rounds in a small area on the target.