• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice on cutting barrel to 16-18" for SPS...

patches

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Wichita KS
www.smtco.biz
Hey guys-
I'm trying to do some research for a "fun gun" just for shits and giggles. I'm thinking .308 SPS cut down to somewhere between 16.5-18" for a can. It will be running a AAC cyclone and probably get put in an A3 (or similar) stock with a DBM.

Here's my question:

What results have you had with cutting your barrel down to 16.5-18" on a 1:12 barrel and do you have any pics?

I'm only going to be shooting out to 500 yards and I want something fun, compact and lighter that I con't have a ton of money in like my DTA SRS. Basically something that I can toss in the back of my truck and not give a shit about.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Re: Need advice on cutting barrel to 16-18" for SPS...

There is a HEAPS of infromation on this see posts by "Low Light" But I think its a good idea in general especially for a compact easy to use hunting rig.

Depends what you want but I think the .308 lends itself to a short tube well as does the .223.

I'd say do it you will be pretty happy I think.

Trust me, I'm defiantly a believer in the hide search engine powered by google (hence it being in my sig line). While I usually have pretty good luck with it, I'm having trouble with this topic. Any additional information would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

I tried to do the same thing you are doing. I followed through with the sps and cut it down to 18 threaded for a can and everything. Right when it shipped back from Noveske I found a deal on a stock and just went all out and completely rebuilt the whole gun. I hope you have better luck than I did sticking to the plan.

Sence Lowlight runs 18"ers out to 1K at Rifles Only (sea level), I would venture to say that 500 out of a 16" tube shouldn't be a problem.

Looks like I may be going with 16.5". I'm still worried about the 1:12 twist. If anybody else has some more input, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Twist relates to bullet weight/length, not sure the barrel length changes anything.
As a rough ballpark:
1:13 for 155gr
1:12 up to 180 grain
1:11 up to 205 grain and so on

With a suppressor, 16.5" would probably be handy/fun. without a suppressor, I think you will have a quite a bit more muzzle blast.

I had mine cut to 16 for a cyclone supressor

Funnest gun I own

With handloads I am only getting 2408 fps but with my drop chart figured no problem

Pop groundhogs ot past 500 all the time

Good info, thanks JParanee, I may be sending you a PM with a couple questions if you don't mind.