• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Need advice on ELR spotter

the_oleksandr

Fortis fortuna adiuvat 🔱
Supporter
Minuteman
May 22, 2019
California
Looking for something with a MRAD reticle.

Seems like the options are:

1. Hensoldt 45/60 (is this still #1, even considering the rarity? Is it worth waiting around for one to pop up?) I saw pictures of the 60 having an absolute crap of a reticle. How much difference is there between x60 vs x45 magnification in the real world?

2. Swarovski STR 80 (seems like it’s about time Swarovski comes out with a modern replacement, any rumors?)

3. Leupold Mark 4 (appears to be the only one reasonably available)

If one is to shoot 1-2 miles++, and need something for corrections, what does the hide suggest?

Any spotters that are worthy and I did not consider?

Thank you all in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
While the Hensoldt has fantastic glass, the reticle leaves a lot to be desired. The Swarovski is very nice, but very short eye relief, pretty much unusable with glasses. I do most of my work with the Leopold 12-40, and while the glass is not the best it works well enough. I’d purely love to get a T or cross type reticle in an eyepiece for my Pentax, or other similar spotter, but that does not seem to be an option.

Spotter 45 has an H32. It’s rare to find a Spotter 60 without the big-L reticle. Some folks really don’t like it but I came around quickly when I started using mine; I guess I prefer an uncluttered spotter with a minimal reticle.

I guess I prefer an uncluttered spotter with a minimal reticle.

Depending on your definition of "ELR", this is critical. At under a mile, it doesn't matter as much. As you start to go much beyond that, you have a larger target area to scan, the splash is significantly smaller in comparison to the reticle, and every mark on the glass makes it tougher to differentiate bullet impacts from reticle markings. It's the same reason I far prefer simple reticles for my ELR shooting.

I have yet to find the "perfect" spotting scope. I have a Tract, but the only reticle option is in a fixed 30x eyepiece. By the way, I LOVE that reticle, eyepiece and scope, but it really only works out to maybe a mile - tops. The variable eyepiece that goes up to 55x is nice and clear - probably one of the best for the money - but no reticle.

My perfect spotter:

- Straight, not angled body
- 60x or more mag
- L-shaped FFP reticle with open center

I like the Leupold Mark 4 as a utility spotter, but not for really long range.

Hensoldt is the closest to my needs, but costs an arm and a leg - and I'm not sure they're making the Spotter 60 anymore.

The Swaro with the MRS-looking reticle isn't too cluttered, but not open in the center, and is expensive.

The Minox MD80 is really interesting - I've never looked through one, so am not sure about the optical quality. It's expensive, but not Swaro or Hensoldt expensive, and has a decent reticle - but still not open in the center.

Still, nothing that matches my wants, so I stick with my Toric, waiting for the perfect ELR spotter to come out.

best all around comb, in my opinion, is the Leupold Mark 4 with a Cadex inverted frame. The frame will fit around the spotting scope with cover, and the Leupold will slide into the frame. The frame has some Picatinny sides that you can attach a dope card or Kestral, etc.

The Mark 4 is going to get you pretty far, and the other options often are either very costly and/or long lead times. Like others have said, it all depends on how far out you intend to shoot.

Found a Henny 60

Will try it out.

Want to explore the theory behind the L shape reticle…

Will drop it if popular opinion is confirmed.

Some of ELR shooters advised that the FFP reticle at full zoom can abstract splash view, whereas the L shape keeps the splash zone free and clear.

We shall see.

Thank you everyone for input. 🤝