• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need advice on paying for medical bills

JoeAdams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Hibbing MN
Well as some of you may know I have throat cancer, Well they said they were going to cut it out, Well they cut it out in 3 weeks. they said the operation is going to be like upwards of $35k for the surgery and $7500 a day in the hospital. I don't know how I'm going to pay this. Is there people that I can contact about a loan of some sort? Because that is a crap load of money.

Re: Need advice on paying for medical bills

Are U elligible for public asst like medicaid? What about VA benefits?
U could bargain with your surgeon..offer Medicare price +10%..he might take it.
Best wishes for your recovery.

Ask them to set a up a time payment schedule for you being sure they know you are self pay and not covered by insurance.

Brother , I am no expert but I can tell you need to talk to the charity care people at the hospital. Be aware it is not necessary to have insurance to be seen in an ER. You cannot be refused care. If you have any assets you need to consult legal counsel. I pray for you. Slick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">¡</span></span>No hablo ingl<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">é</span></span>s! </div></div>

Por lo visto, ni inglés tampoco.

Some hospitals, like University of Viginia Hospital, have a no refusal policy, if you just cant pay they will treat you anyway, but you must show that you have little or no assets.

When I got hit by the car on my Harley back in may the initial bills were around 60K, thats for an ambulance ride and 5 or 6 hours in the hospital getting staples, MRIs, X-rays and all that. After they learned that I didn't have insurance the main bill went from 56K down to just under 6. The woman who hit me will pay it eventually, her insurance anyways, but I had to cough it up initially until all the treatments are done.

Hope you do well and the docs get all the cancer and you have a full recovery.

Sorry to hear this. Check with the hospital and tell them first. You can always apply to your state for medical help. legal aid can can advise you about your assets.I will be praying for you. MM

Brother, first off, let me say that I so sorry to hear about what you are going through and that I will be praying for you...stay strong man.

I am at the end of a year long chemo routine myself that had me in the hospital for a week and out for a week from last November until May. I had major health insurance, problem is I had an extremely high deductible to be able to afford it for me and my wife...and that's the best I could do. I am self-employed as a carpenter. Well, my advice...apply for the medicaid and any other assistance anyone at the hospital recommends, but don't get your hopes up. We live very moderately in a small home, don't have a bunch of land or anything, drive 10 to 12 year old vehicles, etc... and we were denied every bit of assistance we applied for. I never agreed with it before and do so even less now...a 18 page application I filled out said on question #3 that I could skip to the end if I were hispanic!!!! Anyway, set up payments. Not as easy as I had always hear it would be...took months for me to do so and I will be paying the hospital for the rest of my life, but they finally agreed. It is not easy, but be tough.

Stay strong, and "fight the good fight of faith"!

If U are near an academic medical center,,,U could be taken on as a teaching case..care and treatment can be excellent and much cheaper..They also have clinics with sliding scales for charges according to ability to pay

Get an itemized bill and go over it with a fine tooth comb, call them out on everything that isn't right. I had back surgery for a herniated disk, I found $4000+ worth of total bullshit ($10,000 total bill), $75 lortab, $300 "personal air-conditioner" that I never saw and my favorite example is the overnight stay the hospital billed my insurance $1500 for, problem was I checked in at 8 a.m. and walked out on my own two feet at 4:30 that afternoon. Never saw an overnight room. I called my insurance company and they told me unless there is $5000 worth of discrepancies they just cut checks. I was pissed. My share of the bill was $2000 I only paid $600. Do not be afraid to argue with them. Be prepared to settle your bill in one lump sum if you can and if you do, get the settlement agreement in writing.

I hope everything works out for you.

Wait a second, aren't you the same guy who is being hunted by the Mexican Mafia?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait a second, aren't you the same guy who is being hunted by the Mexican Mafia? </div></div>

I fear that he is living in interesting times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get an itemized bill and go over it with a fine tooth comb ...</div></div>

There are people who do what is called "Quality Assurance" (QA). Generally, they're very experienced RNs who work for medical insurers, auditing bills presented by medical care providers and other vendors. I know for a fact that they take private work on the side, in cases such as this, but they aren't inexpensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait a second, aren't you the same guy who is being hunted by the Mexican Mafia? </div></div>

And his buddy saw Bigfoot!!!

I'm just thinking he's one of those folks that seeks attention... And makes shit up in order to recieve that attention!

I honestly hope I am wrong.

My Buddy accidently chopped off his hand at the wrist at his work... I saw his Mayo bill just for the Helicopter ride from Eau Claire, WI to Rochester, MN and it was roughly $500,000!!!

Thats just for ride of about 1 hour!

His bill for surgery/reattachment of his hand and physical therapy was mind blowing!!! I think $2.5 mil or somewhere around there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait a second, aren't you the same guy who is being hunted by the Mexican Mafia? </div></div>

And his buddy saw Bigfoot!!!

I'm just thinking he's one of those folks that seeks attention... And makes shit up in order to recieve that attention!

I honestly hope I am wrong. </div></div>

My original post above was to that effect before I changed it because that thread was gone from history.

I guess I need to go with my original suggestion after some of the other posts.

You need to sell out your sister's ex boyfriends location in exchange for a reward and letting your sister live.

In the "Mexican Mafia" thread... Someone posted a link to a "Dating" website, that was funny! But it was edited shortly afterwards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one he is begging for someone to send him an AK and he will brand himself with there name. lol
http://www.weaponscache.com/forum/ak47/5364-read.html

This one he is talking about being a 19 year old virgin and trying to get clean chicks to take it from him.

http://forums.backpage.com/archive/index.php/t-117811.html

I would be careful before anyone falls for this. My scamdar is screaming. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a Google search of his email [email protected] , and you'll see that he's already be cyber begging http://begslist.org/medical-bills-help/i-need-help-bad2 , http://begslist.org/medical-bills-help/throat-cancer-patient-needs-help-with-bill Different story, always the same amount...</div></div>

I'm going with he is full of shit. Has shankster not seen this thread yet?

Super fishy. Did you check out his for sale on a bunch of farm tractors? $200,000? you kidding? I think he wants the money transfered to his Somolia bank account.

2afmkoh.jpg

Even if this was real you are fucked. It will never go away. Years ago my Cousin refused to pay a medical bill because he said it was "bullshit". Well it ended up fucking with his buisness when he needed a loan. The reason your Loratab was $75 is because they gave 50 of them away to people who will never pay their bill. My wifes mother is the head accountant at the local hospital. They get fucked on every front from medicaid/medicare and insurance companies. She told me they did a knee replacement and medicaid paid them 15k. The knee cost them that itself let alone paying anyone, gauze, etc. I'm not saying it's right but the people who pay their bills get punished for the 10 that didn't. They used to try to work things out with people as far as payment plans and such. Now it's pay or straight to collections. Hospital policy not her call.

I agree and disagree. The hospital was very quick to settle, in fact it shocked me how easy it was to go from $2000 to $600 this was my starting price, I was willing to pay the whole 2K but figured it was worth a shot especially with the bullshit overnight stay that never remotely even happened. I believe what happen was the hospital already turned the screws into my insurance company who blindly cut a check without looking at the bill and figured $600 was easy icing on the cake at this point. I agree those who pay what they are told they owe (without looking at the bill) get the shaft but why should I blindly pay for those that don't?

Frankly, it's not my problem. Hospitals should stop handing out free health care like it's candy on Halloween. There is a place for helping those in need but the system is way over abused.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one he is begging for someone to send him an AK and he will brand himself with there name. lol
http://www.weaponscache.com/forum/ak47/5364-read.html

This one he is talking about being a 19 year old virgin and trying to get clean chicks to take it from him.

http://forums.backpage.com/archive/index.php/t-117811.html

I would be careful before anyone falls for this. My scamdar is screaming. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a Google search of his email [email protected] , and you'll see that he's already be cyber begging http://begslist.org/medical-bills-help/i-need-help-bad2 , http://begslist.org/medical-bills-help/throat-cancer-patient-needs-help-with-bill Different story, always the same amount...</div></div>

I'm going with he is full of shit. Has shankster not seen this thread yet? </div></div>

Agreed, op is full of shit, lying scammer!!!!

If you look hard enough you'll see what's supposed to be his real name. Doing a search on pipl.com reveals a pile of people in his home town with the same first and last names, separated by different middle names. The "gimme an AK-47 and I'll mutilate myself" thread revealed a bit more information. Frankly, I think this guy is running on fewer cylinders than the average bear and has found an MO through which to try and supplement whatever else he has goin' on.

If this is all just a scam, that's wrong...coming from someone who has been battling cancer for a year now and is busting his rear to pay his bills...he needs to be banned!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Says the call was from Africa. Guess I wasn't so far off after all. </div></div>

Long-distance scammers can depend upon local-ish intermediaries. Our boy might be doing just about anything to pay his medical bills.

I love this one:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I need help bad...</span>

Written by Ineedmoneyforlipo
2012-07-11 00:58:17
Tweet

I am 19 and I have Hypothyroidism... I weigh 450 pounds and I need $7500 for liposuction to help get my weigh under control so I can start working out and try to find a job.....

I have no way to get the money...

Email me at [email protected] if you can help me please... God bless.

http://begslist.org/medical-bills-help/i-need-help-bad2</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2afmkoh.jpg
</div></div>

Permanent

I hate thieves.

He's got a lot of stuff posted for sale or trade on these forums.
This smells pretty bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's got a lot of stuff posted for sale or trade on these forums.
This smells pretty bad. </div></div>

One thing I keep on noticing as I look through all of this is that the sum of $7,500 keeps on coming up. It's either that he has that much to spend, or needs that much for one procedure or another. I'm beginning to wonder if the amount doesn't have something to do with one threshold or another.

Agreed. Mandatory jail time, federal case... something.

I expect anyone who worked one of his trades would regret it.

I just figure it out. The drug cartels are holding his sister ransom until he can come up the money for the drugs her ex-boyfriend stole. He came up a little short of the $200,000 for the tractors his grandpa gave him (which have been sitting in a field for years but all start). He didn't get as much as he planned for his "trade something for 700 acres to hunt on". And the big foot sighting wasn't nearly as profitable as he had hoped. So he has concocted the throat cancer story in a final plea to secure the remaining $7500.

Come on guys, he's legit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just figure it out. The drug cartels are holding his sister ransom until he can come up the money for the drugs her ex-boyfriend stole. He came up a little short of the $200,000 for the tractors his grandpa gave him (which have been sitting in a field for years but all start). He didn't get as much as he planned for his "trade something for 700 acres to hunt on". And the big foot sighting wasn't nearly as profitable as he had hoped. So he has concocted the throat cancer story in a final plea to secure the remaining $7500.

Come on guys, he's legit. </div></div>

^^^LOL nailed it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am 19 and I'm a virgin and I want to lose my virginity.... I have a 4 inch penis Im kinda over weight so message me at [email protected] ANYONE WELCOME IF THEY ARE CLEAN CHICKS ONLY</div></div>

I say we should be nice to the poor guy. Anyone with a 4” pecker does not need us kicking him around…