• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice on scope

Q_Sertorius

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2024
Lynchburg, VA
Greetings, everyone. First post from me. I've recently acquired two rifles that are in need of scopes:

Rifle 1 is a FN military bolt action .308 with a very heavy barrel (rifle weighs right around 12 pounds). The rifle has a nice dark blue job and very dark wood. I'd prefer something that didn't clash with that, but also don't want something shiny. My scope budget is under $500. The rifle itself only cost me $550.

The intended use for this rifle is developing my skills at longer range shooting (600-800m, possibly up to 1k, but it is a .308). I'll be shooting in daylight. It's possible that I would even try to take a white tail with it, once I felt comfortable taking ethical shots at longer range. I've been shooting since I was four years old, hunting since I was six, and recently medically retired from the Marines. I know how to shoot, but never had a need to shoot at anything more than 500m away. This rifle is for getting into that.

Rifle 2 is a FN commercial bolt action .22-250 with a very heavy barrel. The rifle has a very nice, bright thumbhole stock, deep Belgian blue on the receiver, and an unfired stainless steel barrel. The rifle is beautiful, not tactical. As with the other rifle, my scope budget is under $500, since this rifle only cost me $450. This rifle wasn't finished when I bought it (my understanding is that the gentleman who was building it died before finishing it), so I had to do a bit more work on it. This rifle is currently at the gunsmith getting the blue job done on the receiver.

The intended use for this rifle is varmint/target shooting at 200-600m. I'll be shooting in daylight.

For both these rifles, I am heavily inclined towards a fixed power scope and have almost pressed "buy" on the SWFA 10x42 SS - Mil-Quad Reticle, 30mm, .1 MIL Clicks, Rear Focus at $299.95. I have never used an SWFA scope, but I hear great things about their customer service and quality at that price point. I would love some advice on whether there are better alternatives at my price point, as well as whether there are options (variable/fixed, power, reticle, clicks, etc.) that I should choose differently. Again, this is a start for this sort of scope for me. I don't mind upgrading down the road, but I am not able to drop $1000+ on scopes at this time. My current plan is to buy one of these scopes and try it out. Then buy another if I like it. But, before I do that, I would like to hear some thoughts, advice, and opinions.

Related question to that, I would also like advice on mounting the scope to Rifle 1. I've mounted many scopes to many rifles in my time, but I am unsure which ring height is best for this rifle (for example, SWFA offers high, medium, and low). I'll try to post a picture of Rifle 1, but suffice to say that it already has bases that appear to be rock solid.

Thank you.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    952.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: FuhQ
Your scope choice is fine given your budget. Not much else is consistently reliable in that price range.

Low or medium scope rings will be best. With medium being the safe bet. There is a small chance that low will not give the scope proper clearance on the barrel

Older commercial FN mauser action with a custom barrel etc those used to be really popular to build on.

The SWFA scope with low rings is a good choice, the only older-looking tactical scopes I can think of for a rifle like that would be the Kahles ZF and Redfield Accu Trac (BDC dial) but both of those are waaaaay out of production by 20-40+ years.

Reactions: Q_Sertorius
Older commercial FN mauser action with a custom barrel etc those used to be really popular to build on.

The SWFA scope with low rings is a good choice, the only older-looking tactical scopes I can think of for a rifle like that would be the Kahles ZF and Redfield Accu Trac (BDC dial) but both of those are waaaaay out of production by 20-40+ years.
S&B Klassik

Thank you for this advice about some of the older vintage options. For the past 28 years, my deer rifle has been a FN bolt action in .25-06 with a Balvar 8 scope on it. That scope is probably close to 60 years old, but still clear and holds a zero no matter what. If I can find a Redfield Accu Trac (BDC dial) at a reasonable price, I will definitely consider it as an option for one of these.

Thank you for this advice about some of the older vintage options. For the past 28 years, my deer rifle has been a FN bolt action in .25-06 with a Balvar 8 scope on it. That scope is probably close to 60 years old, but still clear and holds a zero no matter what. If I can find a Redfield Accu Trac (BDC dial) at a reasonable price, I will definitely consider it as an option for one of these.

I have two of those old mausers from the 50s when sears sold them one in 270 and the other 30-06 they're excellent rifles. Also have an older ruger 25/06 with the tang safety that I'll probably offload soon (not a 25/06 kinda guy). The mauser type action is like an AK47 sturdy and last forever.

I have two of those old mausers from the 50s when sears sold them one in 270 and the other 30-06 they're excellent rifles. Also have an older ruger 25/06 with the tang safety that I'll probably offload soon (not a 25/06 kinda guy). The mauser type action is like an AK47 sturdy and last forever.
Have that .25-06 punched to .25-06 Ackley Improved 40º Shoulder and you'll be quite impressed with it. 115 VLD's over 3,300 FPS with the right powder are BAD medicine for deer and coyotes.

Those J.C. Higgins FN-action rifles assembled by Hi-Standard are one of the best budget bolt action hunting rifles on the market. And they still sell for about what they sold for 30 years ago. My .25-06 was assembled off that action (I can tell because the builder also used the stock - just free floated the new barrel). I cannot count how many deer my dad's .30-06 killed over the years. I was so skeptical about the .25-06 when I first got it, but the truth is that I haven't needed another rifle since I got it.

Have that .25-06 punched to .25-06 Ackley Improved 40º Shoulder and you'll be quite impressed with it. 115 VLD's over 3,300 FPS with the right powder are BAD medicine for deer and coyotes.

115 ballistic tips at 3300+ make for great coyote evaporators.

110 Accubonds or 115 partitions for anything bigger. They work on deer and elk. Only thing I found is with a fast twist barrel the partition will come apart at 3300. Shot a deer at 80 yards and the bullet didn't exit, but the deer didn't move after having all the energy dumped in her chest cavity.

Reactions: FuhQ