• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice on vertical Grip options w/ thumb ledge. Big Hands

savagemann

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2014
www.citizengearco.com
I'm looking into grip options that have an A2/Chassis interface for a Ruger RPR.
I'm kinda new to this style of grip, but am not new to shooting.
My first precision rifle was not a chassis style, and precision grips and gear have kinda been off my radar.

I would like to dip my toes into the PRS game. I've been doing 3gun and rifle matches for a handful of years and really love the competition.

Precision and PRS gear is all pretty new to me and I feel like I'm not sure where to start looking for gear. Websites etc.
I did find the AO grips and they are on my list for sure. Not sure I like the pinky finger ledge though. Would possibly modify that if I got one.
The MPA looks interesting, but not sure it has enough of a thumb ledge, hard to tell in pics.

I want a thumb ledge, unless you wanna talk me out of it for some reason.
I have large hands. Usually wear an XXL glove. For reference, XXL Pig Gloves didn't even fit over my hand.
Mechanic brand gloves I am right in between XL and XXL. XL fit good after being broken in a little.

What are all the cool kids using?
Any suggestions?

I think it's important that you understand that a properly-done thumb shelf involves both the vertical grip and the chassis itself. In the photo - especially with the MPA BA Comp chassis at top - see how they fit together?

The bottom rig is an MDT ACC. Their standard vertical grip has fore/aft adjustability, which might be advantageous for your large hands.

They feel slightly different. My preference? The MPA feels very slightly better to me (medium-size hands) but in all other respects I prefer MDT.

Either grip should mount to your RPR - just be aware that the RPR chassis doesn't have a matching integral shelf, although maybe the safety could fill that role. I've only shot an RPR once, and that was years ago with the stock grip and I had no concept at all of vertical grips back then.

Either grip will probably look a little odd on a firearm intended for an AR grip, and may feel odd too. I put an MDT vertical grip on an MDT LSS-XL chassis I had; that chassis was designed for an AR grip and the vertical grip pushed my hand (and thus trigger finger) about 1/4-1/2" lower than optimal. Was it better than a slanted grip? Yes. But nowhere near as good as on chassis designed for the purpose.

Hope this gives a little bit of perspective. Once you get used to a vertical grip for "precision shooting" (as opposed to run&gun), you will probably strongly prefer it.
IMG_3354 2.jpeg

I'm looking into grip options that have an A2/Chassis interface for a Ruger RPR.
I'm kinda new to this style of grip, but am not new to shooting.
My first precision rifle was not a chassis style, and precision grips and gear have kinda been off my radar.

I would like to dip my toes into the PRS game. I've been doing 3gun and rifle matches for a handful of years and really love the competition.

Precision and PRS gear is all pretty new to me and I feel like I'm not sure where to start looking for gear. Websites etc.
I did find the AO grips and they are on my list for sure. Not sure I like the pinky finger ledge though. Would possibly modify that if I got one.
The MPA looks interesting, but not sure it has enough of a thumb ledge, hard to tell in pics.

I want a thumb ledge, unless you wanna talk me out of it for some reason.
I have large hands. Usually wear an XXL glove. For reference, XXL Pig Gloves didn't even fit over my hand.
Mechanic brand gloves I am right in between XL and XXL. XL fit good after being broken in a little.

What are all the cool kids using?
Any suggestions?
You might want to check out what they have at Anarchy Outdoors:

I put the MPA EVG grip on all my RPR's and RPRF as I like the thumb rest and I really like the rest for the back part of the index finger that aid in making consistently good trigger pulls (it took a little getting used to the large diameter of the grip even though I have large-long-thin hands):

Reactions: DownhillFromHere
I think it's important that you understand that a properly-done thumb shelf involves both the vertical grip and the chassis itself. In the photo - especially with the MPA BA Comp chassis at top - see how they fit together?

The bottom rig is an MDT ACC. Their standard vertical grip has fore/aft adjustability, which might be advantageous for your large hands.

They feel slightly different. My preference? The MPA feels very slightly better to me (medium-size hands) but in all other respects I prefer MDT.

Either grip should mount to your RPR - just be aware that the RPR chassis doesn't have a matching integral shelf, although maybe the safety could fill that role. I've only shot an RPR once, and that was years ago with the stock grip and I had no concept at all of vertical grips back then.

Either grip will probably look a little odd on a firearm intended for an AR grip, and may feel odd too. I put an MDT vertical grip on an MDT LSS-XL chassis I had; that chassis was designed for an AR grip and the vertical grip pushed my hand (and thus trigger finger) about 1/4-1/2" lower than optimal. Was it better than a slanted grip? Yes. But nowhere near as good as on chassis designed for the purpose.

Hope this gives a little bit of perspective. Once you get used to a vertical grip for "precision shooting" (as opposed to run&gun), you will probably strongly prefer it.
View attachment 7806980

Thank you. Very helpful indeed.
I was able to track down a few pics of an MPA EVG on RPR's and there is a little bit of hangover at the top tail end, without modification, but doesn't look too bad.
I also found a pic where it looks like someone feathered it with a dremel and seems to blend well.
This puts it higher on my list for sure.
Also, after looking at a bunch of pics, it does look to have a substantial thumb ledge, which would work well for me.
I may look into changing out the stock ambi safety that comes on the RPR if I go with the EVG.
I have a few on hand that should work well. One with a shortened right side lever that has a little nub that sticks out. That may work.

Reactions: DownhillFromHere
You might want to check out what they have at Anarchy Outdoors:

I put the MPA EVG grip on all my RPR's and RPRF as I like the thumb rest and I really like the rest for the back part of the index finger that aid in making consistently good trigger pulls (it took a little getting used to the large diameter of the grip even though I have large-long-thin hands):

Thanks. I'm liking the look of the EVG. I think it fits the bill.