• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice/suggestions

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Went to a class this weekend (Delta Red Training in San Saba Texas, great bunch and beautiful range to a mile and sweet pistol set up.). Anyway, Shot the stock Remington 700 PCR in 6.5 CM. I think these came right before Remington switched hands. Its accurate at 100, 5 shot group below. Coldbore hit the X then the next 4 drifted right.

Like last time, I had no trouble hitting a 1moa dot at 1000. Then like last time at 1400 it started to get really wobbly but I could get hits on a standard silhouette. . By the mile it was just tossing them the fuck out there. Even with Hornady 140 ELD it was pissing in the wind. Like 3 mills off, then one .5 mil. No wind to speak of. WTF Or is that about right for a 6.5 CM stock rifle?

The lead instructor said his 6.5 would do it but Bartlein barrel. Probably has a better rifle all round as he shoots competitively.

So looking at the new barrel, if not a Bart, get it trued and tightened. etc.

Or would just going to a higher end rifle to start with.

Assuming "I do my part" will that work likely get it RELIABLY to a mile and save going to a more punishing caliber. Dont have much desire to go beyond that unless it just fell together. But I will do a mile. :cool:

1700449169014.png

I have a 260. 142 smk. 2835 FPS for reference.

I guess depending on sea level and current weather conditions your results may very. But I’ve taken it over a mile. Leaves a lot to be desired. Same results you had. If it was me I’d be upping the caliber if you want consistency

Here’s a 600 yard group from that rifle. It’s a tack driver. 26” criterion barrel
    5C4CE340-16F4-4BA1-96B9-5839EEDFF8A1.jpeg

Reactions: Maggot
    I have a 260. 142 smk. 2835 FPS for reference.

I guess depending on sea level and current weather conditions your results may very. But I’ve taken it over a mile. Leaves a lot to be desired. Same results you had. If it was me I’d be upping the caliber if you want consistency

Here’s a 600 yard group from that rifle. It’s a tack driver. 26” criterion barrel
    View attachment 8276497
    Went to a class this weekend (Delta Red Training in San Saba Texas, great bunch and beautiful range to a mile and sweet pistol set up.). Anyway, Shot the stock Remington 700 PCR in 6.5 CM. I think these came right before Remington switched hands. Its accurate at 100, 5 shot group below. Coldbore hit the X then the next 4 drifted right.

Like last time, I had no trouble hitting a 1moa dot at 1000. Then like last time at 1400 it started to get really wobbly but I could get hits on a standard silhouette. . By the mile it was just tossing them the fuck out there. Even with Hornady 140 ELD it was pissing in the wind. Like 3 mills off, then one .5 mil. No wind to speak of. WTF Or is that about right for a 6.5 CM stock rifle?

The lead instructor said his 6.5 would do it but Bartlein barrel. Probably has a better rifle all round as he shoots competitively.

So looking at the new barrel, if not a Bart, get it trued and tightened. etc.

Or would just going to a higher end rifle to start with.

Assuming "I do my part" will that work likely get it RELIABLY to a mile and save going to a more punishing caliber. Dont have much desire to go beyond that unless it just fell together. But I will do a mile. :cool:

View attachment 8276495
    Your rifle appears to shoot decent and I wouldn't say they drifted right at 100 yards that's just your group size, which is fine and more accurate of your zero. Asking consistency from 140gr at a mile is just a big ask. A lot of things come into play besides the shooter so I would worry about it. 1mph wind change and you're looking at 30inches of drift at a mile.

Your rifle appears to shoot decent and I wouldn't say they drifted right at 100 yards that's just your group size, which is fine and more accurate of your zero. Asking consistency from 140gr at a mile is just a big ask. A lot of things come into play besides the shooter so I would worry about it. 1mph wind change and you're looking at 30inches of drift at a mile.
    After sleeping on it I'd think 1400 is likely abut where theyre going trans to subsonic. By 1700 theyre in freefall.

Seems this is a tackdriver 1000 yd gun. For a mile I'll need something else.

After sleeping on it I'd think 1400 is likely abut where theyre going trans to subsonic. By 1700 theyre in freefall.

Seems this is a tackdriver 1000 yd gun. For a mile I'll need something else.
    Ya IMO you are likely just dealing with the limitations of that cartridge. For a mile a big 30 is the easy button. 300 PRC or Norma Mag, 32" barrel 230-250 gr bullets and giver.

Ya IMO you are likely just dealing with the limitations of that cartridge. For a mile a big 30 is the easy button. 300 PRC or Norma Mag, 32" barrel 230-250 gr bullets and giver.
    Agreed, better to have extra and not need it than try to stretch not enough.;) The wormhole goes deeper.

Reactions: Northman623
    AI VS Rem700
    With a Custom Rem 700 I have shot out to 1850 with a 6.5cm consistently and very good at 1000 yard matches. I did a full custom 6.5 Rem build.
    Trued blueprinted 700 action
    Krieger 26 in 1-8 MTU barrel
    PTG Bolt
    XLR Chassis
    I end up trading for AI-AE and couldn't be happier
    The nice thing about the AI switch barrel is I screw in the barrel and tighten to 6nm done. There is no smithing just shooting. Plus you can calibers at will.