• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice, value 4 Winchester pre 64 Super Grade

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
We have a vintage Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 SUPER GRADE 257 Roberts and the condition is fantastic...
This is one of the prettiest rifles I have had the pleasure of handling.
Wood condition is beautiful, has a few dings but is in excellent shape.
Bluing is fantastic and looks better than most newer rifles in a gun shop.
All numbers match (Bolt to receiver).
Under the barrel its stamped 25R 48 (Im assuming that this is for 257 Roberts and 48 for the year the barrel was produced.)
The serial # is 87,139 and I think this works out to around 1950, maybe 1948 ??? Don't know. Any idea??
Rifling is perfect and deep looking.
There is not a hint of corrosion on this rifle, not even a speck.
I'm trying to find out the value of it.
I see quite a few start out at $3,000 on gun broker and I have heard of some going as high as $10,000....
I've looked at theirs and this one is in better shape than all the ones I have seen, especially considering the excellent shape of the original bluing and this stock has not been stripped or sanded from what I can tell and I know of the original owner and the step son that owns it.
I've uploaded some pictures and have more photos of this rifle if a person would like to see a particular area, I most likely have it.
....Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.
PLEASE DISREGUARD THE LITTLE WHITE SPACER IN THE PHOTOS, IT'S REMOVED FROM THE RIFLE NOW.... I GUESS THE OWNER ADDED IT TO ADD BLING.. SEE BOTTOM PHOTO.
........SmokeRolls
107_7541.jpg

107_7525.jpg

107_7517.jpg

107_7540.jpg

107_7545.jpg

107_7487.jpg

107_7544.jpg

107_7533.jpg

107_7494.jpg

107_7546.jpg

Re: Need advice, value 4 Winchester pre 64 Super Grade

I am not a pre 64 guru by any means but always need to learn something. My questions are
#1-Don't recall ever seeing a white spacer on a grip cap?

#2-Don't recall seeing an english style cheek piece on a pre 64?

#3-Don't recall ever seeing a checkering pattern like that on a pre 64

So my lack of knowledge of the pre 64 SG's may be all wet in my assumptions but I would tend to think the stock has been reshaped, checkering modified and refinished? Am I totally messed up in my thinking????

<span style="font-weight: bold">Edit to eat crow on most of my comments listed above....After looking at several Super Grade Auctions on GB the checkering pattern and cheek piece are indeed correct for a SG, only the white line spacer is/was added. Need to heed my own rule of not flapping my jaws or punching the keyboard when I am not sure. Speculation doesn't help anyone, including me!!!! </span>

Just wonderin?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a pre 64 guru by any means but always need to learn something. My questions are

So my lack of knowledge of the pre 64 SG's may be all wet in my assumptions but I would tend to think the stock has been reshaped, checkering modified and refinished? Am I totally messed up in my thinking????

Just wonderin?</div></div>
Just looked up in my old Gun Trader from back in 1994 and it said this about the old Super Grade;
" Same as Standard Grade Model 70, except has deluxe stock with cheekpiece, black forend tip, pistol grip cap, quick detachable swivels, sling. Discontinued 1960." Value then (approximately 18 years ago) was $1795

Not a Win pre-64 expert, but let me be the first to say that is one outstanding looking hunting rifle in a great caliber. The stock is the super grade stock just as you have stated above. There are many experts on this site, but for hunting rifles you may want to try the 24 hour campfire. IMHO...Your initial prices are probably correct $3000 + or -. The only thing is as you have stated in the above posts, this rifle is in exceptional shape...in these cases I would say, the price could only go up to and including $10,000. It all depends on what someone would pay for them.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

I'm no expert, but I think that's not the original stock, which will greatly hurt the value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm no expert, but I think that's not the original stock, which will greatly hurt the value. </div></div>
Im no expert either but after reading the descriptions on the Super Grade, I'm leaning towards believing that this is the original but I'm not willing to say for sure that I am right.
Any experts on old Winchester Super Grades around?
I can put this on campfire to get their imput on it... Im just comfortable with this site....Smile
smile.gif

....SmokeRolls

Very Nice!

I own two Pre-64s. Had a super grade 243 slip thru my fingers!

Just something about them.

I know a fellow that is an expert in them, but I won't see him for a while.

The one's I've seen and known were legit were more like this:
Pic didn't work...

No white on the grip or the fore-end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sir Speedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Nice!

I own two Pre-64s. Had a super grade 243 slip thru my fingers!

Just something about them.</div></div>
I don't own any but my brother-in-law swears by his pre-64 264 winchester like its the holy grail.. He has taught me alot about these rifles. After hearing that I had this Super Grade in my hands, I thought he was going to offer his most recent son (six months old) in on trade for the rifle but he finally took back the offer (Wife must have walked in
smile.gif

I have to say there is something about the build quality of this old rifle that is magnetic.........I like it... I like it alot.
.....SmokeRolls

My current Blue Book says a 98% is $5500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a pre 64 guru by any means but always need to learn something. My questions are

<span style="font-weight: bold">Edit to eat crow on most of my comments listed above....After looking at several Super Grade Auctions on GB the checkering pattern and cheek piece are indeed correct for a SG, only the white line spacer is/was added. Need to heed my own rule of not flapping my jaws or punching the keyboard when I am not sure. Speculation doesn't help anyone, including me!!!! </span>

Just to go along with question #1. I don't remember WL spacers on those either.
It was bad enough that Remington used them for what seemed like an eternity(and maybe still does).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a pre 64 guru by any means but always need to learn something. My questions are

Just to go along with question #1. I don't remember WL spacers on those either.
It was bad enough that Remington used them for what seemed like an eternity(and maybe still does). </div></div>
Well that took 30 seconds although with training I might have dropped that time.. I guess the owner installed a little spacer.. Smile......
Anybody want a spacer???
....SmokeRolls
107_7546.jpg

All fixed, white spacer is removed. Took 30 secs... Edited posting and added photo with me holding spacer photo and you can see rifle without it....
I really appreciate your imput guys, this has helped with info.
If you find out any more, LMK...
Thats why I love Snipers Hide!
.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a fellow that is an expert in them, but I won't see him for a while.

The one's I've seen and known were legit were more like this:
Pic didn't work...

No white on the grip or the fore-end. </div></div>
Whites gone.... It was just a plastic spacer that was added.
....SmokeRolls

TSR,

GREAT example of a pre-64 Winchester. That's about as cherry of a rifle as I've seen. The big issue for this gun is what you want to do with it. If you want to sell it, then looking into a good auction site may be the way to go. Gunbroker is alright, but only a really discerning buyer will understand how great of an item you've got there. Maybe Rock Island Auction is the way to go, but I don't know how much their cut of the sale price is. You may be able to find a buyer on this site that would give you about the same amount of cash without the hassle and wait time of dealing with an auction house. Either way, you may want to get the gun professionally appraised and evaluated.

If you're just looking for the value so you can insure it or pass it down to one of your kids, then I'd add a good 10 to 15% over book value so that the rifle can appreciate without you having to call the insurance company every 2 years. If you are looking to hand that rifle down as part of inheritance, be sure to write down its history in your family, what it's been used for, etc. The most precious guns I own are those that my ancestors owned and handed down. I only wish I knew some specific stories about the guns themselves.

All in all, great rifle. That's a real piece of American engineering and craftsmanship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TSR,

GREAT example of a pre-64 Winchester. That's about as cherry of a rifle as I've seen. The big issue for this gun is what you want to do with it. If you want to sell it, then looking into a good auction site may be the way to go. Gunbroker is alright, but only a really discerning buyer will understand how great of an item you've got there. Maybe Rock Island Auction is the way to go, but I don't know how much their cut of the sale price is. You may be able to find a buyer on this site that would give you about the same amount of cash without the hassle and wait time of dealing with an auction house. Either way, you may want to get the gun professionally appraised and evaluated.

If you're just looking for the value so you can insure it or pass it down to one of your kids, then I'd add a good 10 to 15% over book value so that the rifle can appreciate without you having to call the insurance company every 2 years. If you are looking to hand that rifle down as part of inheritance, be sure to write down its history in your family, what it's been used for, etc. The most precious guns I own are those that my ancestors owned and handed down. I only wish I knew some specific stories about the guns themselves.

All in all, great rifle. That's a real piece of American engineering and craftsmanship.</div></div>
Thanks ZLBubba. I have never heard of Rock Island Auction, I'll look into it.
I appreciate the advice.
We are considering selling it and we just wanted to gather some intell on this rifle before we went that route.
I would rather sell it to a Hide member or someone the hide member knows than put it on a site I'm not used to. Hide members are tops... I still have to get as much as I can but as long as both people go home happy, I'm good with that.
Any serious buyers out there, please feel free to inquire more..
I will gear up and put this in the for sale section but it will have to wait until later tonight but will more likely be tomorrow morning. (I'm taking my wife and kids to dinner.)Smile
grin.gif

But please, no low ball offers, we arent desperate and this is not a standard, plain jane pre-64 (Even though I think all pre-64's are nice I might add.)
If we dont sell it on this site, then I will step up to other sites and sell it but I would much rather deal with you guys than somebody unknown...
You guys get first dibbs...
........SmokeRolls