• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
I have a setup from 2015 that’s aging, need some advice on where to go with it….

Leupold MK4 ERT (FFP) 6-20x50 (TMR, M5 turret)
Seekins rings and base
Remington 700 short action currently .243win
McRee G5 chassis

-the original barrel is about shot out. Used for coyotes and woodchucks.
-Ready to get out to distance and up the caliber, either 6.5cm or 308.
-I live in NJ so long range is about 600yds

I realize the platform is aging. What direction would you go with it?

Only 600m? I’d go 308. Not much of a differentiator in the 6.5 to make up for the shorter barrel life.

If you go with a remage / switch barrel type set up, get one in each (perhaps a 16” 308 and 22-24” 6.5 cm or even 6mm (.243, 6cm etc). Then you can swap barrels yourself without having to send it out each time.

Last edited:
Reactions: acudaowner
You can stick with .243 and do a 7 or 8 twist and shoot 105s to 109s. 600 would be not problem.

Reactions: Charlie112
I have a setup from 2015 that’s aging, need some advice on where to go with it….

Leupold MK4 ERT (FFP) 6-20x50 (TMR, M5 turret)
Seekins rings and base
Remington 700 short action currently .243win
McRee G5 chassis

-the original barrel is about shot out. Used for coyotes and woodchucks.
-Ready to get out to distance and up the caliber, either 6.5cm or 308.
-I live in NJ so long range is about 600yds

I realize the platform is aging. What direction would you go with it?
Cut it in the middle for the best of both worlds, and an awesome (and often overlooked these days) cartridge... 7mm-08 AI

Or .260 Terminator, if you want a 6.5mm bore.

Or... You could get a .257 1:7 twist barrel and shoot the new Berger 135's and Blackjack 131's, and build a .25x284 Blackjack.

Yeah, I’m kind of on the fence. I realize my scope is a little dated at this point, as is my chassis. 308 might fit the “era” of the gun a little better.

Almost thinking about selling the setup and starting from scratch.

I also dont reload, so I want to stick to something I can get good factory ammo for .
Then I recommend a regular 7mm-08 Rem or .308 Winchester.

If you want 6.5, I would recommend the .260 Remington, but the 6.5CM gives you much more factory ammo options these days.

There's nothing wrong with the McRee chassis. If you were competing, I'd say there are much better options, but if it's just going out to the range, it'll be fine.

If your max range is 600, I would just rebarrel to 308. You don't reload, so that eliminates a few options, and frankly, rebarreling to something like 6.5 Creedmoor is unnecessary if you're only going out to 600. 308 will also offer much better barrel life. You might still have a hard time finding quality match ammo, like FGMM, but you still have lots of options for factory ammo that will shoot well.

Now, if you were competing, or have plans to, then I'd think about going with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited:
If your scope holds it's zero, and you are happy with glass, no need to change it.
I'm biased for the 6.5 Creedmoor, in the year I've had it, been nothing but accurate and solid hits on paper, steel, and ferals.
I own an AI .338 Lapua and a Sako .308, but my Tikka Super Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor, is my "go to" rifle.
Great to reload, and just a pleasure to use.
Whatever you choose, hope you get as much fun out of it as I do.

I’ve decided to rebarrel to .308win. I feel as though it matches the “aging” platform of my mk4 and mcree chassis.

What barrel length and profile would you recommend? My max range in nj is about 600.

I’ve decided to rebarrel to .308win. I feel as though it matches the “aging” platform of my mk4 and mcree chassis.

What barrel length and profile would you recommend? My max range in nj is about 600.
I'd go with an M24 10 twist, 24"-26"

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I was thinking 20” if not bc I can’t get to extended ranges in NJ, just to save weight. No?
You’re thinking is correct, IMO. 20-22” is optimal for a 308 win as the marginal increased mv isnt worth the extra weight/length esp if you’re going to use a M40/M24 or MTU contour barrel. Especially if only 600 yards (~550m) is your max range for the forseeable future.

Thread the barrel 5/8x24 so you can stick a brake or flash hider on it. Plus, If you ever move to a free state, you can attach a suppressor of your choice and go…

Not sure if you are a chassis guy or a prefer a traditional stock but GA precision’s FBI HRT rifle would be a nice set up to consider emulating (if you are prefer a stock vs a chassis):

Or stick it in a chassis of your choice (mcrees if that’s what you like).