• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advise for my first build

summersux

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Lancaster Co, Pennsylvania
Hi,
I need some advise on what I should do to build my first precision rifle. I would like some opinions on what I should build on. The purpose of the gun will be target shooting for fun, but also some freindly comps in the area, and for hunting whatever the particular caliber is suited for. What I have to work with now are

1. Savage 12 single shot chambered in .223
Pros- Timmey Trigger, aftermarket bolt handle, gun is a tack driver. It shoots 1/2 Moa with most hand loads. I would also be able to easily change calibers if I would so choose.
Cons- Single shot- I guess it helps with accuracy, but I wish it was DM. Has a flimsy plastic stock, and bad rings and glass.
If I were to build on this, I would Put the SS 5-20 I just purchased on it with a new base and rings, put the rig in a bell and carlson medalist. I would have it re-crowned, glassed and bedded. Im sure the rifle would be a hammer as it is now, and I could put a .260 barrel on it in the future if I would invest in the the barrel and tools to change it myself. I have a 260 now and being a single shot, I would have no problem chasing the lands.

2. Rem 700 .260 mountian rifle
I originally purchased this rifle for the action because the price was right at a public aucton. However, I have become fond of this gun for carrying around through the woods hunting. Its very light, and the gun is beautiful. The stock is like new, as well as the metal except for the end of the barrel. It has a small spot that was rusted when I bought it that looks like it was banged aganst a rock. It is not on the crown, but the outside of the very end of the barrel. The acton is self is immaculate and the jewling on the bolt shows no wear. It has a factory trigger that has been adjusted and I like it as well.
Pros for building this- I prefer the action over the savage, and It has tons of aftermarked parts available. It has the right size bolt face for what I would want to build.
Cons- It would be a shame to tear apart this gun and to not treck it all accross the mountians. It would require more money to build it how I would want it.
If I build this one, I would need a different barrel. The short, super thin barrel on the gun now heats up way to much for what I would want to use it for. (Think too hot to touch after 5 shots) I would put the SS 5-20 on the gun, and probibly get it bedded in an aics.

3. Savage 12 BVSS .300WSM
I purchased this gun some time ago because I wanted the scope that was on it (Leopuld 4.5-14 VX III) and I like how savages seem to always shoot. (I only paid 300 for the rig at an auction, and it seemed to not have been fired very much.) I shot 20 rounds through the rifle before I took the scope off for my 7mm, and I could not break 1.5" at 100 yards. Turns out the one base was loose, but I did not know this until after the scope was off.
Pros- Newer Savage acton that I can get a dm for.
Cons- .300WSM is more that anything I would use the rifle for. I also do not like the stock very much, and I do not like the accutrigger
If I would build off of this rifle, I would want a new trigger, stock and put the SS scope on it. I would also probibly barrel it in .260 or 6.5 CM. I am thinking this gun is about to be on the chopping block to help fund anouther route.

I have other bolt actions, but nothing i want to mess with. They all have their intended purpose and I am happy with them as is. Do you think I should buy a cheap 700 and build that, look for something that will not need a lot of work like a 5R, or should I build one of these guns listed above? I am kind of stuck and would like some insite on how others would move forward in this situation. I thank you for your time! (and sorry about the spelling!)

Re: Need advise for my first build

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, but were it me, I would sell the 300 WSM and buy a used rifle off the classifieds here - probably a 308. Your 223 is a tackdriver - then leave it alone except for a stock upgrade sometime in the future. That 260 - if it suits you as is, shoot it until the barrel wears out. It sounds like you are least fond of the 300, so sell it.

There are many ways to skin this cat, but I'm in agreement with DMann that the 300WSM is the one that sounds like it either needs to go or be used as a donor for a build.

If you prefer the Rem 700 action, sell that .300 WSM Savage and pick up one of the Wal-Mart special ADLs in short-action. You won't need the bottom metal anyway, since you plan to go with an AICS.