• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advise on hoilding my 300 Win off of bags

jvm

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2008
new mexico socorro
I have been doing quite well with smaller calibers, (I think).

I'm new at shooting magnums from a bench rest, (It's 14lbs), I had

heard that Senderos were very accurate. Well my groups don't prove

that. It's new with 50 rounds through it with a 6.5X20 Mk4 on it. I

get 2 or 3 almost touching and then flyers. I think it's my hold

during recoil. I did figgure out I had to stick the forend out past

the second stud to keep it from coming back and wacking the rest,

throwing the shot off.

Do you guys hold it so tight that the sap runs out of the stock?

I have been holding it tight against my shoulder and hanging on the the

rear of the butt, the forearm resting on the rest only with out my left

hand touching it.

Thanks

Re: Need advise on hoilding my 300 Win off of bags

Couple things, after the gun has been fired, see if you can slide a dollar bill down below the barrel and the stock, the bill should pass freely. Sorta of sounds like as the gun warms up, it touches.

Another thing you can try is RIGHT after you do the first few shots, get a 22 rifle out asap and see if you are flinching.

When I shoot pistol a whole bunch like more than 50 rounds with my 45 I will grab a 22 before I start going bonkers. Shooting that 22 will show INSTANTLY what I am doing wrong, as in compensating recoil, twisting with trigger pull.

There is a thread that shows how to be the "uber shooter"

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=237232#Post237232

Read a few of the responses in each of the threads, I even learned some stuff. These guys in here are mostly Military, from what I see, and they have been brow beaten with correct form for doing this. My knowledge is from hunting and being around ex-military going "wtf are you doing kid". Abuse their knowledge!

Re: Need advise on hoilding my 300 Win off of bags

Buy one of these.

shooters-ridge-rifle-gun-rest-weigh.jpg

from shoooters ridge

http://www.sloblu.biz/Shooters-Ridge-Zero-Kick-Shooting-Rest/M/B000YBSVFG.htm

rock solid, 80% less recoil, fully adjustable.

Can shoot 60 round through my 375 H&H with no pain. Far better than lead sled (been there done that)