• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advise please

scott1119

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2007
London, ky
Im just starting to reload, never put a round together yet, what I want to load is a 223 round for match and varmint out to 250 yards, I will be shooting this round thru a Remington 700 5R 223, 1 in 9 twist,also any accuracy tips would be very much appericeated.
I need info on bullet type, brand weight
Powder
brass
primers, what ever else i need to know
thanks guys

Scott

Re: Need advise please

For distances out to 300yd, match and varmint, I like the Nosler Ballistic tips, both 50 and 55gr. My rifle is a 700VLS .223 with a 1:12" barrel, so heavier than 55 is not indicated.

For the 50gr try in the 26-27.5gr range of W748, and for the 55 try in the 25-26gr range with W748.

The upper ends of these charge weight ranges are skirting with max loads, so start low, work up, and pay attention to pressure indicators; each barrel generates pressures according to it's own unique personality.

I find that with the recent shortages, I got just as good accuracy with CCI-400's as I did with BR-4's.

My experience with 24" 1:9" Savage barrels indicates that the lighter weight bullets from my loads worked as well for the faster twist as they did for the slower ones. The heavy load was 75gr HDY BTHP Match (Moly) and 26.5gr of Ramshot Big Game. This is a conmpressed load and runs well under 1/2MOA with due diligence behind the rifle. It may not do so well as a varmint killer, and I never confirmed whether it had enough velocity for 1Kyd, but for paper and 200-300yd, and probably well beyond, it's the 'E' ticket.

Greg

25.5 grs WW748
69gr Sierra Match King Hollow Point
Winchester small rifle or Remington 71/2 primer.
Winchester or Lapua brass.
This may be the only load you need. If it won't shoot, you gotta gun problem according to a service rifle champ and expert 223 guy.

Get this book:
Handloading for Competition, by Glenn Zediker.

Begin your loading by using proven principals; not what Uncle Bill used to do with his Herter's press in 1955.
Cartridge overall length, shoulder bump, neck treatment, brass cleaning are sub topics you will want to attend to. This book will guide you on your equipment purchases.
Get a mentor and you can pm me anytime. I don't know everything, but I know some things.
Good shooting; keep it real and simple.

I have a 700P 26" barrel with 20x super sniper scope 1-9 barrel. My rifle DID NOT like the 69 SMK at all, went to a 53 Hornady and 52 Sierra. It was like I hit a sweat spot. Heres my load.
Lapua brass
26.0 Varget
CCI BR primer
2.270 OAL
I neck size only!! When I do my part I get 1/4" groups at 100yrds, and 1/2-5/8 at 200yrds. Hope this helps you some. Remember each rifle is different, so you'll have to experiment until you find a load that works in YOUR rifle. Good luck