• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Advise

usernamenotinuse

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with beefing up a composite stock: i.e the fore end and buttstock. they are hollow, but reinforced. I was thinking about filling with epoxy or fiberglass just to make it solid. I dont really have the $ for a HS or McMillan. Any ideas?

Re: Need Advise

I'm guessing that when you are using it in the prone position the forend of the stock is rubbing against the barrel due to the pressure from the bi-pod, thus making it non-free floating?

Its the hogue rubber one. just from reading up, most people upgrade (name brand stock, glass bedding, free floating) to increase accuracy. I havent shot it yet, and I don't really know if there is a problem. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it, and if so, pitfalls, ect.

I would shoot it first and give it a chance to be great before you start messing with it.

Second, if and when you do decide to change the stock, do your research and save your money. This is not an inexpensive hobby.

I would shoot the rifle first but that's me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hubbard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm guessing that when you are using it in the prone position the forend of the stock is rubbing against the barrel due to the pressure from the bi-pod, thus making it non-free floating? </div></div>

I read about this also, plan on free floating the barrel, my thoughts were if the fore end is reinforced then it might help to eliminate this problem

Shoot with that stock until you develop your skills, and upgrade down the road. I used to shoot a rem700 sps plastic stock .243 and could hit a dime 3 out of 5 times at a 100 yards. The hogue stock will be fine. Keep your eyes open for an HS precision take-off in the for sale section. They go for about $200 and are fine stocks.

Well, you will have a hard time getting anything to adhere to the plastic, fiberglass wont do it, epoxy may. If you drill some small holes and rough it up real nice like, you may have luck with epoxy (marine-tex, etc).

Kirk R