• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Need affordable coms recommendation.

Sendit6.5

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Sabinal, TX
www.brushyhill.com
I’m looking for a low cost way for the members of my predator hunting team to communicate very short distances. We compete in some calling contests and work as a team for a bunch of landowners who need help with predator control. Essentially, we’d just like the ability to whisper to each other at distances no more than 200 yards. Most of us own/wear Howard Leight electronic hearing protection and it’d be really convenient if we could attach a microphone (probably some sort of boom mic) to them and use a inexpensive VOX capable radio like one of the Motorola Talkabout radios.

Is something like this possible? I’m open to any suggestions as long as it doesn’t break the bank. This is simply a convenience thing and not a necessity. We do really well without it but there are sure times we could have gotten an extra animal or two if we could have communicated over the short distance we’re apart on some sets. If you can suggest some ways to setup a headset or one we could buy, I’d sure appreciate it!

not sure which brand you are using but this is pretty cheap
Razor Walkie Talkie Attachment
Voice Activated Transmit (VOX), allows for hands-free communication up to 3 miles. Walkie Talkie Attachment has 22 channels and 99 sub channels for your family and friends to join!
and even cheaper on sale at midway .

Is there ANY chance you would ever need more capability?

5 pack of Baofeng 888’s with earwigs and finger mics would do the trick, and probably come in under $100 for the whole pack.

Those little BaoFengs are pretty cool for the money. I have 2 of the 8w versions and I losded on the standard FRS and GMRS frequencies. At 8w, they get some great range.

Depending on the situation, you might be able to use GoTenna's in conjunction with your cell phones (if you don't have signal in the area, it creates it's own "network" you can communicate over). I'm not sure how I would go about applying that with a boom mic though.

Legally, I would stay away from the handheld HAM radios, unless you have a HAM license. You might look into handheld CB radios though. There is probably a better chance handheld radios will have an attachment for a boom mic.

I uncovered a scammer a few months ago doing exactly that same cut and paste routine to build up legitimate sounding posts. Turned him over to Tucker and he was banned next time I checked. Trying to sell a handgun,if I remember, and almost got me.