• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need ammo recommendations for new 6.5 CM

RMS65

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2019
I just got a Tikka Varmint in 6.5 CM. I need to order some boxed ammo for it as I don't reload yet. I'm looking to shoot steel plates and coyotes out to 600 yards. I know every barrel will have it's own preferences. I was hoping there might some people here with 6.5 tikka and or coyote hunting experience that could tell me what works for them. I don't want to waste money buying more types of ammo than necessary. I don't care about pelts.
Thanks

The easy button is match ammo, as testing various hunting loads will be time consuming, expensive and reduction of barrel life. I would buy a couple, three boxes each of two, maybe three types and then buy a couple cases after you see a TRACK record of performance, save the brass if you intend to reload. Maybe a good idea to grab two to three boxes of whatever to get used to the gun, rough in the scope and get a few rounds on the barrel. As far as reloading, look hard on the actual anticipated round count and seriously consider if it's worth monkeying about with reloading.

The easy button is match ammo, as testing various hunting loads will be time consuming, expensive and reduction of barrel life. I would buy a couple, three boxes each of two, maybe three types and then buy a couple cases after you see a TRACK record of performance, save the brass if you intend to reload. Maybe a good idea to grab two to three boxes of whatever to get used to the gun, rough in the scope and get a few rounds on the barrel. As far as reloading, look hard on the actual anticipated round count and seriously consider if it's worth monkeying about with reloading.
Thanks for the logical advice. Is barrel life a concern with this gun and caliber? I have the opportunity to practice 600+ yards off my back deck as often as I like so I may get a good bit of use out of it. I have a 223 Varmint set up identically except the scope. So I can use that as trainer to save barrel life and 6.5 ammo. Right now I only have 120 gr Federal American Eagle because that's what Wally World had.

I just went through this with a new 6.5. Mine didn’t care for Hornady but it shot Federal Gold Medal 130 Bergers into tight groups. Also you can get the FGMM pretty cheaply off ammoseek.

Not a hunting bullet per se - but plenty of horsepower to humanely put down a coyote out to 600. Out of an 18” barrel mine were doing 1750 FPS at 600 yds - more muzzle energy than a 357 magnum at 5 feet.