• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Need an end mill sharpened. Or sell me a new one.

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
I am in need of having two 4 flute end mills sharpened, or I need new ones. Both are 3/8 inch. one is 4 inch long with a 1 1/4 cutting depth and the other is 3 inch long with a 1/2 inch cutting depth.
I need them quick because I have family in town to do a project for. If you have a way to sharpen them I need your help. If you have end mills to sell I will buy them.
I am outside of Corpus Christi Texas.

Going forward, I've got a guy here that can do it for next to nothing... Doesn't exactly help you today though.

I use Kodiak for most of my cutters and bits. For most of the country (except where I live) it's 1-2 days shipping for $8.50 right now.
Kodiak

Family is here until Monday. So I have a little time. Fastenal has 2 locations pretty close. I'll call them tomorrow.
Thank you guys. I knew y'all would have an answer for me.

H
You have a machine but not spare tools?

You're not doing it right until your tooling has surpassed the machine value by at least 10x
HA!
These are my first end mills. And I am using a drill press as a mill. A couple friends from work have used them too, and some people are pretty rough on tools so they dulled up. I didn't realize they were dull. Besides grinders, files, drills, brake lathes and tap and die sets this is my first real time using actual machining tools.

Reactions: camocorvette
H

HA!
These are my first end mills. And I am using a drill press as a mill. A couple friends from work have used them too, and some people are pretty rough on tools so they dulled up. I didn't realize they were dull. Besides grinders, files, drills, brake lathes and tap and die sets this is my first real time using actual machining tools.
That will not end well.

My buddy found out mills use a morse taper chuck for a reason as things around his garage were getting hammered by bits of end mill and chuck.

He now uses his mill as a drill press, since the drill press disassembled itself while running.

Mine have been done for a while.
My buddies did some too.
It's worked well so far.

Who's the commie? Me?

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
I too will add that "using a drill-press as a milling machine" will not end well. Completely designed for different stresses/actions.

Good luck. "Saw it in a movie once...." will work, until it doesn't.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I too will add that "using a drill-press as a milling machine" will not end well. Completely designed for different stresses/actions.

Good luck. "Saw it in a movie once...." will work, until it doesn't.
Depends on material. And size. I have used a mill in a drill press at high speed on small brass and aluminum and phenolic things. Very small cuts and low stress, you can do some things. If you are a modeler, for example, you can do some really neat stuff without the space/weight requirement of a Bridgeport.

But steel and anything more than skim cuts will tear a drill press apart in no time. And losing a chuck that is side-loaded Is a good way to lose your face.

Sirhr

Just go to any Fastenal store. They have an amazing sharpening service. Cheers
I called Fastenal today and they said they would have to ship my end mills out. And because I don't have a commercial account with them they wouldn't do it anyway.

I called Fastenal today and they said they would have to ship my end mills out. And because I don't have a commercial account with them they wouldn't do it anyway.
Yes, they don't do in house. But never heard of needing a commerical account.

Here... buy these. They'll get to your place in a few days. Less than sharpening two.

eBay is awash with small lots of used end mills brand new. Search on "Assorted End Mills."

This will solve your problems.

SIrhr

Carbide, carbide, carbide.

Look in McMaster, you can have it next day.

Check out Sheinberg Tool Co in Corpus. They'll probably have what you're looking for, or know someone local that can sharpen em.