• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need assistance choosing a 223 bolt rifle

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
Budget for only the rifle is roughly $600.

Going to be strictly a bench/prone shooting rifle. I eventually plan on changing the trigger and stock. I will be handloading for it.

I am already an owner of a R700 SPS-V 308 and like it a lot. just wondering what other opinions there are on other rifles.

Re: Need assistance choosing a 223 bolt rifle

save up some more money...and just buy the savage f/tr in .223
great stock from the factory
match grade 30" barrel
1:7 twist to shoot the 80vld's
great, light trigger
strong action

you'd save money, and have a more accurate rifle than a $600 rifle, $500-600 stock, $100+ trigger....

sean... why would you get the 110/112 in 223, those are long action rifles, the 2 digit models 10/12 are short action, which are MORE than long enough for a 223

I would second the CZ option.

Another to look around for is a used Tikka 595. I found one in 223 locally a guy was selling for right around your budget. Stock rifle that is very accurate.

I just picked up a 20in threaded Remington 700 5r. little over your 600 budget but def worth saving or looking into.

I had a Tika 223 which was the best out of the box shooter I had ever purchased...with no modifications...

I agree I also have Tikka T3 varmint 223 and it's a shooter out of the box, no mods. They can be found in the $700's. I hear Savages are quite accurate as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Tika 223 which was the best out of the box shooter I had ever purchased...with no modifications... </div></div>

I have a Savage 10fcp-k (24" fluted barrel, muzzle brake, and DBM). This comes with the accustock which is a big improvement over the standard model 10 stocks. I shot 75g AMAX's yesterday just under .5 moa. With the brake on it, recoil is tantamount to a pellet gun!