• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need assistance developing load like Fed 308 GMM

mioduz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2009
my rifle drives nails with the GMM factory loads. So my goal is to get that load duplicated and then tune from there to see if I can better the accuracy. So far I was told to load IMR 4064I started my load development at 42gr and worked up to 44 gr (max load) My max load avg 2624 fps and the GMM avg 2656. I assume I need to go to a faster burning powder to get the remaining FPS.

Any suggestions?

Re: Need assistance developing load like Fed 308 GMM

I would go with varget or alliant AR-comp. Start low and work your way up to the FPS you want. I have had excellent groups with both of these powders but I currently use AR-Comp bc it is a little faster burning and out of my 22" barrel I am getting 2925 FPS with 155gr SMK palma bullets with no pressure signs.

168 or 175gr? A search would be my suggestion if you want to duplicate, as this has been covered fairly regular. I thought the consensus was the powder was Varget, I'm probably remembering wrong.
If you want to develop a load that shoots well in your rifle without worrying about matching velocity try 4064, Varget, 2000MR or RE15, there's probably others as well that consistently deliver good results.

I use 4064 at 43.4 gr. The load has worked great and shoots a little better than Varget. Today I banged out a couple of .5" group at 200 and I'm more than happy. If your gun does not shoot well with either 4064 or Varget then you have a gun problem.