• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need assistance with starting load

Perry41arms

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2018
Good day guys, i need some help to find a starting load for my 6br with STAball 6.5

I have seen a few of the Dasher guys running it with no issue but i have yet to see load data for a 6 br.
Here is what i have found on Hodgdons website for Staball 6.5 in a Dasher running a 107

Starting Load:
33.2 gr
2,644 fps
40,600 psi

Max Load:
36.9gr
2,943fps
52,300 psi

I am looking to test it with the following bullets:
105 Scenar
108 ELD-M
115 RDF

The stating loads I have in mind are as follows:
105 scenar - 32.8gr
108 ELD-M - 31.5gr
115 RDF - 31gr

I have way of seeing if these loads are safe other than shooting them but it makes me nervous about damaging my rifle. I am not sure if STAball is on Quickload yet

Good day guys, i need some help to find a starting load for my 6br with STAball 6.5

I have seen a few of the Dasher guys running it with no issue but i have yet to see load data for a 6 br.
Here is what i have found on Hodgdons website for Staball 6.5 in a Dasher running a 107

Starting Load:
33.2 gr
2,644 fps
40,600 psi

Max Load:
36.9gr
2,943fps
52,300 psi

105 Scenar
108 ELD-M
115 RDF

105 scenar - 32.8gr
108 ELD-M - 31.5gr
115 RDF - 31gr

I have way of seeing if these loads are safe other than shooting them but it makes me nervous about damaging my rifle. I am not sure if STAball is on Quickload yet
STAball 6.5 is a new powder and the data for it is somewhat limited , perhaps this may be a help to you also there is a sticky thread in the reloading depot that could assistance you

Last edited:
Send me the specific (barrel length, case, bullet, powder) ... and I'll run a load chart for you in my QuickLOAD software.

Reactions: Howland

Starting Load:
33.2 gr
2,644 fps
40,600 psi

Max Load:
36.9gr
2,943fps
52,300 psi

105 Scenar
108 ELD-M
115 RDF

105 scenar - 32.8gr
108 ELD-M - 31.5gr
115 RDF - 31gr

Do you have a powder measure and a chronograph?

Here's the numbers using the 105 Scenar GB478.

It looks like the StaBall issue is "Fill Percentage" ... but it might still work, as I've found that calculation is done inferring the space the bullet uses.

Anyway ... build yourself a ladder test starting around 33.0 and going to 35.0 ... and see how it shoots. I've actually gone a bit above the "Danger Zone" looking for pressure signs, and gotten good results (as long as you do it in little steps like 0.2gr).

Hope this helps.

1613154950476.png

Here's the numbers using the 105 Scenar GB478.

It looks like the StaBall issue is "Fill Percentage" ... but it might still work, as I've found that calculation is done inferring the space the bullet uses.

Anyway ... build yourself a ladder test starting around 33.0 and going to 35.0 ... and see how it shoots. I've actually gone a bit above the "Danger Zone" looking for pressure signs, and gotten good results (as long as you do it in little steps like 0.2gr).

Hope this helps.

View attachment 7554381
Thank you so much Rusty, I really appreciate it.

I'll post the load data up with the details once I've shot it

Thank you so much Rusty, I really appreciate it.

I'll post the load data up with the details once I've shot it
Happy to help ... maybe I should sit on the curb outside of Cabela's with a cup and a sign that says:
"WILL CALCULATE LOAD DATA FOR PRIMERS"

• Haha
Reactions: Howland
Start way low like at 28 grains and use the powder measure to increase the charge at the range.
My only argument with that, is that if you have the QuickLoad data, you can start safely at a higher velocity and save a lot of reloading supplies shooting at lower velocities that you really don't need to test. The QL info I sent indicates a 33.0 start is very reasonable. I would agree with your advice if I had no data and was just "spit-balling" my first loads. To each his own. Just my humble opinion ... in a time of constrained supplies.

No you can’t. QL data is only good if you have lab tested data to compare it to. Since he doesn’t have any lab data he has to start low.