• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Aussie help

Ragin_cajun

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
I'm getting ready to move to Brisbane and need some help. I know parts of Australia are thick forest and some are open plains. Is there many places to shoot over a 1000 yds there? Not necessarily ranges just open plains even where I can stretch guns out.

It's mainly going to be if you know if anyone but nearly every NRAA range is out to 1000yds or 900m. We can't really shoot in public land over here and unfortunately, need to leave your AR at home and pistols too unless your gonna be a member if a club. Jump on the Aussie forums and get to know guys. But best bet is to join a club and shoot F-Class unless you know people until you know them.

Jump on the Aussie forums and get to know guys. But best bet is to join a club and shoot F-Class unless you know people until you know them.

Yeah, you'll get more detailed advice on those forums. Bringing rifles with you overseas isn't as difficult as you would think, but you may want to hold off bringing anything with you initially. That's what I did when I moved to NZ; put stuff in storage and waited until I got settled over here before bringing anything over. Then it was just a matter of getting NZ customs and police to sign off on importing a few rifles, flying home for the holidays, getting US Customs paperwork done (easy) so I could bring them back, and checking them in with my luggage (make extra time for customs delays). From there it was straight forward. For bolt guns, Oz should be fine but again, ask the locals on the Aussie forums about what's going to good to go and what's going to be verboten.

are you up on the legal requirements for owning a firearm in Australia?

Basically you need to join a shooting club or organisation, or own a rural property, or have a rural property owner give you consent to shoot on his land, to satisfy the legal requirement to hold a shooter's licence. All firearms must be kept in an approved safe when not in use or being transported. Some of the very large calibres are restricted. If you nominate target shooting as your reason for owning a firearm you are not permitted to shoot anywhere apart from a shooting range. If you nominate hunting as your reason you can shoot at a range but not enter a competition, and can only shoot on a property that you can provide written consent from the property owner. Land owned by the Crown (government land) cannot be shot on unless it is a state reserve nominated for hunting and you have what we call an R licence (easy to obtain) and follow the rules regarding booking the land in question.

Last edited:
are you up on the legal requirements for owning a firearm in Australia?
If you nominate target shooting as your reason for owning a firearm you are not permitted to shoot anywhere apart from a shooting range. If you nominate hunting as your reason you can shoot at a range but not enter a competition, and can only shoot on a property that you can provide written consent from the property owner. Land owned by the Crown (government land) cannot be shot on unless it is a state reserve nominated for hunting and you have what we call an R licence (easy to obtain) and follow the rules regarding booking the land in question.

all of this information is not correct for Queensland but for NSW. The OP is moving to Brisbane which is Queensland.

You do not need written consent. Just consent.
There is no state/crown land in qld available for hunting unless your contracted by the government as a pro.
You can hunt, range shoot with either a hunt or target license.
Target shooting is only permitted on an approved range not any private land. Zeroing or checking zero is however legal on private land, plinking is not.

A qld license holder can get a nsw r license tho. It cannot be used to obtain a license in the first place however.
I know of a few places where you can buy property access to get a license, or I would recommend joining Shooters Union Queensland (google them) they in qld give you a reason to hold a license and similar to the NRA are a lobbying group to our government. Tho relatively new they are having success and have recently gone national as well. Hopefully we'll see some improvements for shooters.

Send me a PM for more specific info can try and point you in the right direction. When are you planning to make the move?
And don't plan to bring your guns with you straight up if it's soon as the process this end takes a little time.

Last edited: