• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Need ballistic info on .308 load

scissorhands

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Houston, Texas
I havent had time to chronograph my load and was thinking about tackling the 1000 yard shoot at Bayou this weekend. Anyone have a ballpark MOA for 1000 yards.

The rifle: Savage 12 FTR
Load: 43.2gn varget, BR2 primers, Lapua brass, 175gn, SMK

Thanks!

Your load could probably be a bit hotter. Most are running closer to 44gr or a bit more.

That said, I'm going to venture a guess that you'll need about 36 MOA from your 100 yard zero.

The temperature is going to be a little cool to start on Sunday, so anywhere from 33-36 MOA and yeah, next time, add more powder. But for this time, just press the trigger real hard.

I'm shooting 175SMK pills behind 44.7gr Varget with a 20" barrel....avg 2584fps.
If memory serves me correctly, I smacked steel at 1077yrds with 45MOA and at 917yrds with around 36MOA.

Depending on your bbl length and velocity, I'd say what everyone above has said should get you in the ballpark at 1000yrds with 36MOA (from 100yrd zero).

Last edited:
The temperature is going to be a little cool to start on Sunday, so anywhere from 33-36 MOA and yeah, next time, add more powder. But for this time, just press the trigger real hard.

Will Do! LOL I know you just love it when guys come and shoot without all the proper ballistic info......

Bonne sainte Vierge, donnez-moi la patience...

Barrel length and density altitude are also factors.
Do you not have a smart phone? I'll assume you do, in which case why don't you just download shooter, or a similar ballistic app and use it to assist you. Velocity is an important factor to know, but it is only one of many. You can get a guesstimate of velocity, but without having an idea of other variables its a crap shoot.
Without knowing your barrel length I'll guesstimate at 2650. Without knowing other variables I'll say between 35-40 MOA.

Most all the above info should get you on paper, but have your spotter look for berm hits in front of your target, just in case you aren't quite there yet. Your load seems a little light for a 175. My personal rig ( before I rebarreled ) needed an average of 37 min. with 45 gr. of varget and 175 gr. this was at about 700- 800 ft.above sea level. Just my .02 worth.

I shot it this past weekend, It was on paper with 35 MOA, and 37 1/2( if i remember correctly) Moa being the ticket.......Vertical was good......horizontal, not so much.. I did manage to shoot 86% though.

I shot it this past weekend, It was on paper with 35 MOA, and 37 1/2( if i remember correctly) Moa being the ticket.......Vertical was good......horizontal, not so much.. I did manage to shoot 86% though.

You did just fine. The conditions got very tricky after the first relay. I could not believe how quickly the conditions changed during the first pit change. I squadded you with some good people and it looks like they took good care of you. You did a good job in the pits also. Now, you need to come back and play with us some more.

You did just fine. The conditions got very tricky after the first relay. I could not believe how quickly the conditions changed during the first pit change. I squadded you with some good people and it looks like they took good care of you. You did a good job in the pits also. Now, you need to come back and play with us some more.

Denys, I really appreciate the squadding. Its amazing how much you can learn when you get squadded with Walker. Thanks a bunch!