• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need Base Layers...

ARodPDT117

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I am heading up to Nebraska with a buddy to do some hunting on his farm in November. It will mostly be from a tree stand which I have never done, but I am looking for some good base layers to get before heading up there. I am used to spot and stalking in AZ, so tree stand hunting in NE in November will be quite a change of pace. What do you recommend? Thanks, Take Care.

Re: Need Base Layers...

+1 for the Under Armor gear. It will keep you dry and warm.

i prefer smart wool over under armor

capilene is also pretty nice and less $$$

Sitting in a tree stand with no movement can stress your clothing system with ease.

I start with Patagonia Capilene t shirt and briefs worn quite snug as my base layer. Adds a lot warmth for the few ounces.

For mid layers, Patagonia R1 fleece.

Try a nylon windshirt between layers while sitting, acts as a vapor barrier, keeps the warm air next to the core from being pushed out keeping the micro climate next to your skin more efficient, less calories to keep you warm, for 2 ounces, works miracles for warmth.

Goretex type jackets can crinkle during movement and the colder it is the more noise it makes, try a good soft shell.

thanks for the input I was looking at the capilene line earlier today but wasn't sure about it, sounds good thanks again take care everyone