• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Bottom Metal Education

Hawk in WY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2013
Jackson Hole, WY
I’m trying to choose bottom metal for a new build: 300 Norma Mag, Mausingfield Action, Manners EH5 stock.

My problem is I am hoping to run the Barnes 212 gr Bore Rider bullet with a 3.95 recommended COAL.

My preference is BDL for hunting but a five round magazine DBM also works.

The Remington long action BDL box seems to be 3.4 so that rules out both the standard Remington box and the Manners mini-chassis.

The Wyatt box seems to be 3.85.

The extended Wyatt box is 4.0 but requires action and bolt stop modification. Is that possible with a Mausingfield?

It also appears MDT makes a 4.0 five round magazine but I don’t know what bottom metal would make that magazine work with the Mausingfield.

I would appreciate some education.

Going down this rabbit hole also causes me to ask what are options for a short action for longer COAL than standard BDL or DBM.

Thank you for the help.

I'd call ARC and explain what your plan is for your build with their action. They probably have had this or a similar question presented to them before and could give you some options. You can also ask your gunsmith about what your plan is and the parts you plan on using for this rifle. They should be able to guide you as well.