• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need dimensions on Savage

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
Does anyone have the dimensions on the barrel shank/threads/tenon area for a Savage Model 12? I'm rebarreling my 204 Ruger in 6-223 as soon as my 6mm blank shows up, I am trying to avoid pulling the 204 barrel off it until the blank gets here so I can continue to shoot the 204 for a few weeks.

Midway claims it will ship on 5/27 but that's hardly the case anymore.

Re: Need dimensions on Savage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Standard Savage shank is 1.060" x 20tpi </div></div>

Thanks.

I would wait till i have the barrel off first, so i could fit the barrel threads to the action.

+1 on waiting till the action is off the barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would wait till i have the barrel off first, so i could fit the barrel threads to the action. </div></div>

I am, I wanted to make sure it wasn't a strange thread pitch or tooth profile that I'd need a special tool insert for. Some of the old actions I have sitting around have strange tooth profiles that required a new threading insert, I want to avoid the additional frustration of not having it on hand.

Keep some HSS tool blanks around so you will always be able to grind your own in just a few minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep some HSS tool blanks around so you will always be able to grind your own in just a few minutes. </div></div>

Good idea, I haven't ground a whole lot of tools, but I should learn that more.

While I am not a master of it, it really has come in handy more times than I can count.
I have built a collection of about 20 different tools that I ground for special purposes.

Dull? No problem, just take a few seconds to sharpen them.

Sharpening dull stuff I've done many many times, I've probably ground a total of 10 tools from scratch though. I haven't been making chips very long compared to most, only about 6-7 years and it's a hobby, not a profession anymore.

Thanks for the memory jog, I'm going to order a few blanks next time I place an MSC order.

Then you are waaaay ahead of me.
laugh.gif

My dumb ass keep chipping carbide tools, never had that problem with HSS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then you are waaaay ahead of me.
laugh.gif

My dumb ass keep chipping carbide tools, never had that problem with HSS.
</div></div>

I've chipped my fair share of carbide, usually when I do something that I know I shouldn't be but I decide to push it anyway...

Yeah, I need to learn to use them properly.
I started with HSS because I wanted to learn how and why the angles need to be what they are. Figured it was a good skill to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I need to learn to use them properly.
I started with HSS because I wanted to learn how and why the angles need to be what they are. Figured it was a good skill to know. </div></div>

Yep, certainly a good skill to know. I'm definitely lacking in that area because I got lazy. What do you want to know about carbide? I can probably help you out.