• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEED DOPE!!! 155gr SMK .308 Win loads or similar

Heat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
Southern Ohio
I need some DOPE for 400 yards from anyone shooting the 155gr SMK. My problem is that I don't have a chrono and I'm trying to figure out my velocity. Here's what I've got....

Rem 700 SPS-V w/ 22" barrel 1:12
155gr SMK
46.0gr Varget
Win Brass
CCI Primers
75-80F
Altitude approx 600ft

Now it took me 7.5 MOA to get to 400 yards yesterday and when I use all of this info in ballistics program to try to figure my velocity it comes out to about 2675 fps! It just doesn't make any sense to me. According to Hodgdon's Reloading Data 44.0gr Varget gives 2759fps and the max is 47.0gr gives 2909fps. So I figured 46.0gr would give somewhere around 2850fps, but with my shorter barrel 2800fps. I cruised through the Reloading section here and found very similar loads and they're all 2800fps and higher. I just don't understand why it's giving me such low velocities. And I know the only real way is to use a chrono, but I don't have access to one right now.

Thanks the help.
stovetop

Re: NEED DOPE!!! 155gr SMK .308 Win loads or similar

The velocities in reloading manuals are only good for the day/conditions they were measured in. Ignore them.

It appears as if you got your dope for your rifle. Varget lots can be inconsistent. Work up your load, in your rifle, watching for pressure signs. And maybe invest in a chronograph, although they don't always read accurately either.

Better yet, try RE15 with 155 Scenars. But first make sure the Scenars seal well and shoot well through your Rem factory barrel - they like a tight bore.

If Scenars don't work, I say go with 175SMK's at 2680fps if you can get them there safely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The velocities in reloading manuals are only good for the day/conditions they were measured in. Ignore them.

It appears as if you got your dope for your rifle. Varget lots can be inconsistent. Work up your load, in your rifle, watching for pressure signs. And maybe invest in a chronograph, although they don't always read accurately either.

Better yet, try RE15 with 155 Scenars. But first make sure the Scenars seal well and shoot well through your Rem factory barrel - they like a tight bore.

If Scenars don't work, I say go with 175SMK's at 2680fps if you can get them there safely. </div></div>

I appreciate the info, but I would like to see what other people's dope is with similar loads at 400 yards so I can compare.

I know I 'need' a chronograph, just tell my wife that....lol.

Re: NEED DOPE!!! 155gr SMK .308 Win loads or simil

OK, currently I am shooting an SPST with factory barrel.

Im shooting 46.1 grains of Varget under a 155smk(old style), in Win brass trimmed to 2.05, a Winchester LRP, and COAL of 2.825 and Im getting right around 2700 fps out of them.

Close, but not exactly the same:
155 Scenars
45.0 Varget
Lapua brass
CCI BR-2 primers
2.857" OAL (.030" off the lands)
FNH SPR 24" bbl
2852 fps @ 1475 ft asl
@ 400 yds, 6.0 MOA correction from 100 yd zero

Hope that helps...

Ok thanks guys. I guess the writing on the wall is telling me what I didn't want it to. I'll have to chrono them to be sure though. This rifle shoots very well, I just don't understand why I can't get any velocity out of any loads I try.....Any ideas?

Factory Barrel? Most numbers I've seen show that factory barrels are a bit slower than aftermarket. Heck my SPS-V factory barrel at 26" probably isn't any faster than your cut to 22" tube. To get anywhere near the upper 2800 fps to just barely 2900 FPS with 155's I was loading pretty hot. Not something I like to do, so I settle for the accuracy node below it.

Yeah it's a factory tube. The 'ol .308 is about to become a .260 if it's going to be like this......

Hey stovetop. Where are you located in S Ohio. Im in columbus and we have Big Darby which goes out to 300 yards. About an 1.5 hrs east, we have Thunder Valley out to 2000+ yards. Anyway, I have a cronograph if your ever in the Columbus area and we could crono your loads until your hearts content. Feel free to PM me.