• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEED electrical help please

bcw1284

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2008
Cheyenne, Wyoming
If any of you guys are electricians or have significant experience, please help me out here.

strange_electric2.jpg

I found this when I went to install the last of our new light fixtures today. Other than a set of crossed travelers in the kitchen 3-way, i've not encountered any other issues. Until I got to this one...

What confuses me is having a neutral and a hot hooked together from conduit A to conduit C. Is there any reason why these shouldn't be separated and then hooked into the appropriate large bundle where the wire nuts are? I could then just run a single wire out of each bundle to the light...

I have no formal electrical experience, so if this is rudimentary then please bear with me. It just "looks" wrong based on having the colors crossed like that. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Re: NEED electrical help please

The white (neutral) wire, going to the black (hot) is a switch leg from the switch. If you look in the box with the switch there should be two wires hot and nutral. The power is in the " j box" not at the switch.

I see, that makes perfect sense now that you mention it. It seemed odd at the time but the "a" conduit does go towards a wall with a switch so that must be where it goes. Thanks.

You can use a wiggie to find out. Or a circuit tester just turn the switch on and off and it will show what wire is coming from the switch.