• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need feedback from y'all with .260 load experience

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
Guys I need some info/feedback from y'all on 2 issues I'm having with .260 rifles.

First is I'm trying to duplicate a load for my GAP 10 that I use for my bolt gun but with Remington brass vs Lapua. Does anyone know from experience about how much variation in charge i can expect going from Lapua brass to remington? My bolt gun load is 42.5 H4350, CCI BR2, 140 AMAX, in Lapua brass. It's a ragged hole with my bolt gun and my GAP10 shoots it about .5MOA at 2615 out of a 22" barrel. I did some load work up from 42-42.9 in .1 increments and 42.9 is 2590ish but only about MOA. Should I jump up in the 43.X range? Nothing really shot that well and 42.9 didnt show much pressure signs other than the extractor was starting to make a noticeable mark on the rim of the case but not removing chunks of brass yet. Just trying to see if I'll be able to duplicate it with remington brass, I dont want to beat up my lapua. It's still pretty cool so I dont want to get pressure signs now as this summer it will be much worse.

Second is I'm down to a few hundred AMAX left but have a few K ea of 139 Scenar and 142 SMK. When i switch over to a different bullet will the load change than a couple tenths? I didnt know if I needed to load test the whole range again or just tweak it up and down 2-3 tenths on the charge weight to retune for the bullet. How much deviation have you seen jumping from bullets close in weight.

Both rifles Magazine feed so COAL is 2.81 for both rifles and seating depth doesnt get changed only charge weight.

Any help is appreciated. Both barrels are pushing 1000+ rounds and didnt want to burn up barrels doing load developement. :D

Last edited:
I shoot 43.3gr H4350 out of 26" barrels on my 2 DTAs. Using 136gr Lapua Senar L and getting 2875 fps. The 139gr Lapua Senars chrono at 2710, both out of Lapua and Fed brass. No pressure signs. Good luck!

I've found charge weight needs to be changed ~.3gr when switching from Remington to Lapua brass, and vice versa, to keep velocity nearly constant.

You'll need to redo load workup when switching bullets, but don't start from scratch. You know 43.3 is good with 140amax, so do an OCW with the 139s/142s at 42.5, 42.8, 43.1, 43.4... or thereabouts. You get the idea.