• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need feedback on the .458 SOCOM

J.Boney

Resident Sheepdog
Minuteman
May 10, 2006
NC - USA
Was looking at an upper from RRA. Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated. As far as I can tell, Starline is the only Brass offering for reloading.

Thanks

Re: need feedback on the .458 SOCOM

Just picked up one of those myself (complete RRA rifle) but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. BTW, SBR has a deal where if you send them your old brass they will reload it for a pretty good discount too. I plan to use that option until I start relaoding myself.

I got one of the complete RRA carbines when they first came out. Absolutely love it! Only fired 400 Gr. Rem SP handloads so far. Function was perfect. Accuracy was around 1.5" for 5 shots at 100 yards.

This thing is unbelievably fun, and RRA's typical workmanship is there in abundance. I put an Ace FX stock on mine, and ordered it with the Vortex flash suppressor (looks great on this rig, and works well). It wears a Leupold CQT optic.

Go for it. I also have a Bushmaster .450. It's even more accurate, but I like the ability to use 500 gr. bullets that the SOCOM gives me. Both are very cool 200 yard sledgehammers, though.

see ya

Cor-bon was making some stuff at one point, not sure if they sell it as bulk brass, etc.

personally, i'm not all that impressed by the ballistics of the .458 SOCOM, if I wanted that kind of performance i'd buy a marlin .45-70 guide gun, lol.

biggest problem is reloading dies-- no rcbs or redding, lee are marginal, in the one I have cases must be full length resized to function, and even with heavy case lube still results in stuck cases. 405 rem. 45/70 flat nose works very well, set is really fun with a NFA lower. (short range material interdiction). higher quality bullets cost too much at this level -- even remington doubled to $40 a hundred. various commercial cast bullets work well --- with the cost of plinking , 223 still wins.

Have been looking at both the Rock River 458 and Bushmaster 450 myself. Have not made up my mind yet. Just itching to complete a rifle with the spare couple of lowers I have right now. Damn the luck:) hahahhahaahhah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">biggest problem is reloading dies-- no rcbs or redding, lee are marginal, in the one I have cases must be full length resized to function, and even with heavy case lube still results in stuck cases. 405 rem. 45/70 flat nose works very well, set is really fun with a NFA lower. (short range material interdiction). higher quality bullets cost too much at this level -- even remington doubled to $40 a hundred. various commercial cast bullets work well --- with the cost of plinking , 223 still wins. </div></div>

Dude, Hornady makes an excellent set of .458 Socom dies. Mine work perfectly - never had a stuck case. Do yourself a favor and order a set.

I load the 405 gr. Rem FP over 38.0 gr. of H4198, capped with a Win WLP primer. Velocity is right at 1,600 fps. This equates to a medium-hot .45-70 load that you can hammer out 10 at a time (from 30-round UN-modified AR mag). MAJOR fun.

Jump on it!

I have a RRA 458 and it runs like a top. I would go with Hornady or the CH dies. The CH dies are a bit pricy though.

The Starline brass seems to be going good for 5 reloads so far with no issues. Although I full length size I do play with headspace slightly with the Redding Competition shellholders to minimize how much I am sizing brass

Copyof458socom6.jpg

shuter thanks for the tip-- (or anybody) where did you get the hornady?? midway only lists lee

Nice rifles. I have the Bubba version - a Marlin 1895 Cowboy that holds 9 or so rounds.

I got a Bubba version too - actually, I have a shitload of .45-70's; from a Shiloh Sharps to Marlins to Win. 1886's to a Ruger #1. Got a fetish for the damn things.

I do love the semi-auto equivalent, though. The thing's a major grin producer, I promise you.

see ya

Here's the link to Lock Stock & Barrel, where I got my SOCOM dies from:

http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HRN546464

As you can see, they're out of stock right now. I believe when I ordered them, they were out, as well, but they had Hornady send them direct to me, at the lower price (they're about $80 direct from Hornday, I believe).

TRG42, what kind of forend is that on your SOCOM?

I've had one for a few months now and have woked up some pretty good loads. I use honady dies and have not had any problems with them.I have tried various bullets and powders and never misfeeds. the thing runs like a tank. still trying to kill a deer with it. just a few loads ...all groups were at 100 yds.
DSC01179.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

As already brought up in another thread, the .458 SOCOM is now legal for deer hunting in Indiana where other cartridges with similar ballistics are not. I think a .458 SOCOM with heavy bullets, subsonic loads and a suppressor sounds like the perfect thing for deer within 100 yards. Or at least that is my excuse for wanting one.

In truth, I have wanted one for a long time. If you get one, I would recommend the ACE stocks with 1" recoil pads. They do a great job of taking the bite off my Saiga 12s.

Here's a few 300 grain JHPs @ 2000fps working over a few water jugs last summer. It's an RRA .458 SOCOM. I've posted pics of it several times already.
http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll177/jevneaks/?action=view&current=MVI_0077.flv