• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need for FFP if I am NOT a tactical shooter?

Mark21

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2008
Illinois
After a lot of research, I was dead set on purchasing an FFP scope.

However, yesterday I read an article online (written by a member from here) that talked about how the FFP is ideal for a tactical scope, while for shooting tight groups at long ranges at your local range or competition, the SFP/RFP scope is used more often. And if I am honest with myself, my rifle is going to be a range queen, with the occasional contest or long-distance training course (like Rifles Only).

That got me thinking... I know all about FFP's use for holdovers, never having to worry about getting to the correct magnification for calculations, etc... But if I'm shooting my 308 at 300 to 600 yards for the most part, and I know the ranges for my targets, AND the SFP scope saves me some real $$$$ over the FFP... what am I giving up by forgoing getting a Heritage or S&B FFP scope?

Re: Need for FFP if I am NOT a tactical shooter?

SFPs work for me

It sounds like you don't need an FFP. You can calibrate the half-power point on a SFP scope, and use it at that power for moving target leads.

I'd say save your money <span style="font-style: italic">if that's all you're going to shoot</span>.

I am no expert, but i suppose what your budget is would be a factor! For example my budget was $1200. and i wanted soild construction, clear glass, Mil recticle and Mil adjustments...FFP vs SFP wasnt a big deal to me.... so i went with the IOR 3-18x42 FFP! Now i could have went with a nightforce but at what extra cost? probably another 200-400!

not meaning to rant, just saying it can depend on your budget

SFP is probably better for shooting small targets at long range with a high magnification scope. Those FFP reticles can get mighty big and tend to obscure your POA.

If I go with an SFP, that brings up another issue...

What is the most superior SFP glass out there in a durable package? I am blown away by the Heritage glass. S&B glass is phenomenal as well... but both are FFP. Is NF the tops in SFP? What is everyone else using?

Get a chance to use a Nightforce for a session, you will see that there is precious little (if any) difference between the S&B and the NXS in terms of glass and performance. It sounds like you have already taken care of the SFP/FFP question for your useage.

It probably varies scope-to-scope, but I have seen S&B's that did not measure up to the clarity standard of your typical NXS. Durability is not an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I go with an SFP, that brings up another issue...

What is the most superior SFP glass out there in a durable package? I am blown away by the Heritage glass. S&B glass is phenomenal as well... but both are FFP. Is NF the tops in SFP? What is everyone else using? </div></div>

If glass is a big concern take a look at Zeiss.

If your needing a SFP scope, NXS is the only way to roll.

Nightforce are great SFP and now they are making a great FFP also.

Form the sound of it a SFP would work just fine for you.

Mike

If I were getting a SFP optic I wouldn't look at anything but NF, and if I were going to be using the rifle as you are, mostly on a KD range then a SFP would be great and you can buy alot more ammo with the savings!

If some govt/agency is paying you to be "there", and always ready to take "the shot". Then you better have all the bells and whistles. I figure this means you're gonna have a Zeiss digital rangefinder anyway, plus all the palm pilots and other kestrel interfaces that pass for "shooters aids" in these hallowed halls.

Now, what I also figure is that a "sniper" is no longer a guy sitting out in a hide. That is passe thinking. A "sniper" is a guy/gal who can make the shot presented when opportunity calls; unless your agency/govt defined role is still in the past-tense of strategic thought.

First Focal Plane reticle enables ranging functions at any magnification level. Critical, maybe... Maybe. Probably not.

If you are training "on the job" and have to prove proficiency with your ranging reticle at moments notice to superiors, then you want all the options open to you. In the field? There you will use what is fastest and is technologically ready to eliminate guess work, formulaic contemplation, and maximize your time and effort.

I do not see a time any longer where a "sniper-asset" can be deployed to one hide for one shot, unless for a critical target of maximum strategic value. Not like most snipers will be so deployed. In the current battlefield, other than an urban environment, a sniper is a moving and target scouting asset, not a fixed-position tool.

Aside from the ranging functions, a second focal plane reticle gives consistent sight picture and fastest deployment.

Swamper, for those of us, including me, who are just wannabe weekend snipers who just destroy range targets; I really appreciate the way you described the modern roll of todays snipers. I wasn't aware that the modern day sniper was so moble. The only depiction of a sniper I had is one like you see in the old WWII movies. PAT.

It doesn't sound like you need it with your planned usage. I like the idea of FFP for a hunting rig. Oftentimes, you don't have a lot of time to be screwing around with multiple pieces of equipment. With a quick glance, you can roughly assess range and if you don't have time to dial it in, hold over as needed.

How many shots are like that? Not many, but you know that the one time you need it you would pay all the money in the world to have had that capability.

As a hunter, I am used to doing everything with holdovers, so switching to dialing dope is an adjustment for me.

If your goal is to use this at the range, SFP allows you the ability to "shrink the reticle" relative to your target. This is pretty invaluable and conducive to tighter groups... especially if you are shooting at targets of known range.

However, if you are shooting targets of an unknown range in a timed situation, FFP would probably be worth the extra dough.