• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need gear suggestions for my first predator hunt.

Jay Ell Gee

Habitual Lurker
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
Tennessee
Hello everyone! Before hammering you gentlemen with questions, I would first like to admit that I have been lurking for a while and have finally found an excuse to start posting! I have greatly enjoyed soaking up any and all information that I can wrap my head around.

Let's get everyone up to speed on my situation here:

My name is Joshua. I am a 22 year old full time clinical RN student. I am not currently working (no time for work at the moment) but have recently sold out of a hobby and managed a chunk of change I was intending on spending on my first rifle chosen and purchased by myself, a .223 bolt action (completely different topic though). I was hoping to give coyote/bobcat hunting a go before I invest in my own rig, however.

At the moment, I have my Remington 870 Express Magnum (12ga) as well as my father's Ruger M77 Mark II sporter in .243 topped off with an older Simmons 4-10x scope with quite a generous amount of 100g Winchester Super X ammunition available to me. I believe these two firearms will prove more than adequate for my foray into predator hunting.

I am going to be picking up a Carlson's Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote choke as well as a box of the 3" shells from Cabelas soon, hopefully transforming my go-to squirrel shotgun into a formidable coyote killer for only a small investment. The rifle needs no immediate attention to perform its duty.

HOWEVER!

This is where I need some serious assistance. While I do have an entire hunting lease available to me, I do not have a truck to tow the family ATV back and forth to the camp when I wish to hunt (stupid tempting turbocharged sports cars >.<) and am going to have to take on the entire 280+ acre lease the old fashioned way... on foot.

Here-in lies my problem... due to a previous injury, I have lost some muscle mass on my right shin, and lugging around a rifle, shotgun, decoy, home-made e-caller (itouch + mini amp + 5" weatherproof PA speaker), water, etc doesn't exactly sound pleasant. While the rifle has a sling, my shotgun has no studs whatsoever, so I would LOVE to find a backpack that could accommodate my gear while perhaps being able to hold the shotgun while walking, similarly to the specialty rifle packs on the market today. However, I simply cannot afford to invest 150+ dollars in just a backpack, so I was hoping for some crafty suggestions. I am willing to coerce my girlfriend or mother into a little sewing if necessary, if that helps.

My next question would be this: has anyone had any luck by using shooting sticks in the field? Keeping the theme of budget gear, I managed to find this on clearance at Cabelas as well, and was wondering if a setup like this is even worth trying? My only worry is that since I am 6'2", these will be a bit short for me and a complete waste of money.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Quik...ooting+stick&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I would prefer something simple such as these before investing in an all-out bi-pod setup, if that makes sense.

Please keep in mind that my lease is located in south Louisiana. The lease is primarily a deer/turkey lease that is relatively wooded, unlike the open rolling plains that this type of hunting seems to typically be associated with. While the area is not completely overgrown, it is not wide open either. I have a feeling coyotes will be appearing VERY quickly when I do see them. I am hoping that my .243 Ruger and Remington 870 will be adequate for this type of area.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well. I thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read and contribute to my topic here. Hopefully I can start learning and soon begin to contribute to this thread as well!

Again, thank you in advance for your time.

-Joshua

Re: Need gear suggestions for my first predator hunt.

First of all forget the shotgun and just take the rifle. You can likewise leave the decoy at home. With a sling for your rifle and a back pack from Wal Mart, you should be good to go.

I made my own shooting sticks out of straight willow branches with a hole drilled in each held together with parachute cord. The ends to cradle the rifle were padded with black gaffers tape. A more elegant solution and, in keeping with the traditions of African hunting, would have been to hold the sticks together with old inner tube.

Anyway, I don't think my shooting sticks could have cost me more than about 25 cents and they've worked fine for me on 200+ yard shots at raccoons and even further on deer.

Ditch as much gear as you can and learn how to use a sling to give you added stability whilst shooting from standing and sitting position... seriously, dont underestimate the sling.

Also check out Alaskan Guide Creations Bino chest pack... you can use it for things other than binos. Fits on your chest and stashes lot of goodies away.

You quickly learn what is needed and whats overkill for the field.

I'll look into it for sure. The only reason I mention bringing both is for different areas, not necessarily both guns in every stand. I may try just hunting the open areas in one hunt and then swap up to the dense areas that evening or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumulkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all forget the shotgun and just take the rifle. </div></div>

My advise is to not let anyone talk you out of bringing the ole trusty 870 for those close encounter "yotes". Especially in your area. A rifle is a necessity but often there are times they just can't compete with a good reliable tank, such as your 870! The stand you don't have with you is the one you will need it on!

Joshua, as a Hackberrian, I think I might know a bit about your area as well.

You got some good advice already, sad to say though, you'll do better with less stuff, on foot and focus on your techniques. Pick either, the rifle or the shotty, and tailor your hunting style ( some might call it strategy) to match what you HAVE, not cover all possible things. Me I'm likely to take only the rifle, especially if I am in the TX Hill Country. In SW LA, more likely, just a 16" AR, in 6.8. Pigs are always possible where you are, hence the rifle choice.

Where you are gonna be, concealment and stealth are of most primary importance. 300 acres is small for coyotes, they can range over a much larger area. THEY KNOW WHEN YOU'RE THERE, if you arrive by motor. They MIGHT know you're there walking in. Take the most advantage you can, be as quiet entering and leaving as you know how. After you shoot, remain in place for 30 minutes, you will hopefully not burn the spot, you might get a double. Best way to burn a spot is the use of e-callers though, on a regular basis.

Mix it up, don't be able to be patterned. If it was me, I'd get dropped off by a friend/family member, sit QT for 15 minutes, then creep into the hunting spot. Sticks are great method of getting a stable shooting position, try to set up so you can cover the expected approach. I have used a small decoy, , like a rat size, rather than a full size 'yote. I have also used a CD, like you record music on, tied to a string, twisting in the breeze. These critters are curious, and it works on bobcats too. A gov't trapper, showed that little trick to me, using it near his snares.

BTW, a blue teal squealer call is as good as the high dollar varmint mouth calls. I'll bet you gots one. Lots lighter to carry.

Having said all that, we have murdered the coyotes last couple years in TX, hunting from a diesel Mule ( LOUD), with decoy, e-caller, and rifles. BUT.... at night, with night vision and spot lights. Quite a few foxes too. I guess the point is, tailor your strategy to the spot, and the conditions, not what someone else is doing.

Go FoxPro

April 11th

yotecs24.jpg

The advice is definitely appreciated thus far! I have been so busy with the books readying for finals that I had forgotten to keep up with my thread lately! This week marks the end of finals, so I am hoping to get up there and start hunting! I picked up both a closed reed cottontail distress call as well as the Primos open reed combo pack with the calling instruction DVD on clearance at my local Cabelas! I am practicing when I get the time, hopefully I'll have it down by this weekend. My buddy and I have been looking forward to our spring squirrel season that started yesterday, so while we are up there we are going to try to 2 man some stands and see how we do, both rifle and shotgun. I made myself a nice pair of sticks (much cheaper and very well tailored to my 6'2 stature!) and am going to give it a shot very soon! I'll have some updates very soon, I hope!

Also, thanks for all of the suggestions! It's a shame you live almost 4 hours away from me Mr. Mike. I could use a tutor! I kid, I kid. Again, thanks for the suggestions. I hope to have some good news and pics soon!

I don't know about down south, but I've noticed the yotes in Oregon are becoming more leery of electronic calls. So I mix it up between electronic and mouth calls and that (for me at least) yields the best results. For the mouth type calls I found the yotes either respond better or I'm better with some of the Primos brand. Electronic-FoxPro