• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes need glass: leupold mk 4 6.5-20 mil/mil or ss 5-20

tsavo303

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2010
McLean VA
I think leupold gets an unfair amount of doggin on here, but I wanted to know what y'all think.
I want to get a different scope for my GAP m40ish for pure function.
I can get the FFP mil/mil mk4 6.5-20 on the promotive deal
or get a ss 5-20 on the opitcs sale side for the same price.
Right now I have a vx-III lr 4.5-14 and wanted to go mil/mil and get the 20x.
if I like the SS 3-9 on my MWS (which I do so far) will I be happier with the 5-20 SS on my bolt gun than the MK4?
or something else?
I guess I can wait to see what the "black friday" deal is.

Thanks!

Re: need glass: leupold mk 4 6.5-20 mil/mil or ss 5-20

I have both and if I could do it over again I would have all SS HD's. Last week we did a test at dusk and the glass on both SS's was clearly better than on my MK4. In fact, to my eyes it was as good or ever so slightly better than my buddys nightforce. Right now you cant get a FFP in the 6.5x20 that is illuminated and it is in the SS. Illumination might not be needed by you and in that case you can REALLY save some coin over the leupy. The FOV is alot more at low power on the SS also if you need to shoot close up quickly. Hope this helps and for what its worth, I am watching the BF sale as well and will probably get in on another SS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both and if I could do it over again I would have all SS HD's. Last week we did a test at dusk and the glass on both SS's was clearly better than on my MK4. In fact, to my eyes it was as good or ever so slightly better than my buddys nightforce. Right now you cant get a FFP in the 6.5x20 that is illuminated and it is in the SS. Illumination might not be needed by you and in that case you can REALLY save some coin over the leupy. The FOV is alot more at low power on the SS also if you need to shoot close up quickly. Hope this helps and for what its worth, I am watching the BF sale as well and will probably get in on another SS!</div></div>

Well here is your oppurtunity to "re-do" your mistake. I have a brand new SSHD and I'd be glad to trade you that Leupold Mark 4 FFP mil/mil 6.5-20 for it, if in fact that is what you actually have with the M5 turrets. Let's do this and make it happen. Just say the word and we can exchange shipping info. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

If the SS5-20 has what you want then waiting for the black friday sale is a smart move. I think the deal is for a non-illuminated model but it's not like the leupy comes with illumination either and I prefer the MP8 reticule design and 10mil elevation knob to TMR and 5mil...

If you want a scope with a holdover reticule look at the bushnell 3-21 GAP model (google for it). It's japanese made like the SS5-20 and I think you can get a horus reticule version of it through horus for a great price if you are LEO or Mil.

The scope I've been thinking about is the new IOR 4-16 FFP but I'm a bit cautious as in order to get it I'd have to sell a 3-18FFP which works great and I'm not big on selling "works great" stuff...

1700-1900 can get you a Razor HD or NF F1 in the classifieds and 2k+ S&B Premier etc become available. USO too.

Wonderful that we have so many good choices these days.

I guess Kino must like his also since he hasnt taken me up on my trade offer.....I didn't think he would, but there's always wishfull thinking.

I would take the M4 FFP M5 every time. but the ss is good to. Own several swfa scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess Kino must like his also since he hasnt taken me up on my trade offer.....I didn't think he would, but there's always wishfull thinking. </div></div>

No I just don't spend all freakin day on here like some do! Sorry I was'nt on here all day to respond. If you truly wanted to trade why did'nt you PM me instead of running your hole here on the thread?? If and when I decide to het rid of it, it wont be to you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess Kino must like his also since he hasnt taken me up on my trade offer.....I didn't think he would, but there's always wishfull thinking. </div></div>

No I just don't spend all freakin day on here like some do! Sorry I was'nt on here all day to respond. If you truly wanted to trade why did'nt you PM me instead of running your hole here on the thread?? If and when I decide to het rid of it, it wont be to you!</div></div>

You did the "hole running". You clearly stated that you wished you had bought all SSHD's and not the Mark 4. Well, you were given a oppurtunity to get out from under that Mark 4 and get another one of the coveted SSHD's......but as it appears, you were simply running your mouth to fit in with the flavor of the week. I meant no harm by my post and I am 100% open and willing to trade with you, that's why I posted as such.

Lastly, if you have a scope you aren't happy with and your given a chance to exchange it for something you like, yet you choose not to "just because i hurt your feelings or called you out", I find that very foolish. Kinda like cuttin your nose off to spite your face maybe.

Anyway, I'm still up for a trade if in fact you really do even have the scope that you claim you do. Just let me know.

Have a wonderful day.

I had both order the Scopes mentioned. I sold the swfa and kept the mark 4 m5. Both have their merits, but the swfa had a less forgiving eyebox and I couldn't get over the hashmarks not lining up. Other than that, they are both quality products.