• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need GPS Help!!

TattooBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Looks like I finally may have access to a hunting lease. With 1000 acres to get around on in my truck, I'm wonder if a tomtom type gps will allow me to set waypoints, mark where feeders are, etc., or should I be looking for a handheld type.

I want something really simple that will just help me from getting lost and allow me to find different spots in the dark.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Need GPS Help!!

I would go with a hand held like the etrex from garmin that way if you scout on foot you can set waypoints or if your stalking game you can always find your way back to the truck. And you can use it in the truck to drive around the property.

If you get an in car unit... It stays in the car

Garmin 60 CS, Garmin 60CSX, or the new 62 ST A little larger than the Etrex, but IMO the larger screen for viewing and external antenna help a lot in the woods and in thick brush etc.

I have the Etrex Venture HC, love that thing. The only thing I would change would be to the Etrex 30 with the electronic compass. The Cheaper ones dont, although you get a heading as you walk.

Another cool feature is when you upload your routes to the Garmin software, you can open them up in google earth and see where you were just hunting.

Either one you go with , you will need topo maps, and there are plenty out there for the Garmin.

I'd check out Delorme too. I use the PN-60 with good success.