• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help--308 Brass Growth and Stuck Cases in Rem 700

Savagesweat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
I've looked for clues all over the internet and in my reloading books, but so far I have come up short in trying to solve a problem I'm having with my 308 loads. I've been working on solving this off and on for a few months with no luck.

I have loaded successfully for years in a bunch of handgun calibers and so far, all my .223 loads have been solid, no problems there. However, I am relatively new to loading 308. This could be just another one of my idiot moments, and if so, I could use some help from you guys to see what I'm messing up here.

The problem I'm having is that after I pull the trigger on my 700, sending a bullet downrange, I try to extract the case, but I have an incredibly difficult time opening the bolt and pulling it rearward. The brass gets stuck in the chamber. Because this happened on my first reloads, I was afraid that I accidentally over-charged my cartridges somehow. After further analysis, I don't think this is the problem, though, because it happens on all my cartridges and for every single one, I trickle my powder into the cases and measure carefully on my Dillon digital scale. I chronographed everything, as I always do when working up a new load. Here are my load data:

--Remington 700 SPS tactical mounted in an XLR Industries chassis.
--178 grain A-max
--Varget powder, charge weights varying between 43.0 and 44.5 grains in 0.3 grain increments
--Velocities ranged between approximately 2500 and 2570fps. I had been hoping for a little higher velocity, but I guess I'm glad I wasn't accidentally shooting super hot rounds.
--Winchester large rifle primers
--Once-fired Prvi Partizan Win 308 brass that had been shot by me in either the Rem 700 or my DSA SA58
--Brass was deprimed, full-length resized, and then trimmed to 2.015 with a Giraud.
--Cartridge OAL was roughly 2.820.
--Dillon 550B was used with Dillon rifle dies for resizing, bullet seating, and (light) crimping.
--Most primers showed some pressure signs, slightly flattened primers, but not much worse than some factory loads.
--All rounds were checked with a Dillon case gauge and found to easily slide in/out. Both ends of the cases fit inside the min/max steps on the case gauge.
--An RCBS precision mic was used to set headspacing on the resizing die. Headspacing length was measured on factory rounds before and after firing in the 700. I set the resizing die to ensure that cases were bumped back by 0.002-0.003 after being fired in the 700 (20+ rounds of factory Prvi Partizan 168 grain match)

Factory rounds cycled without problem through the gun, so I doubt there's anything wrong with the 700. Dummy reloads chambered fine. The bolt closed without much difficulty on the reloads, but got stuck after firing. Empty brass cases from fired reloads will not chamber without excessive force, as expected after having ripped them out of the chamber. I colored all over some fired cases with Sharpie marker and attempted to chamber them again in order to highlight wear marks on the brass. It looks like the only wear marks are light, appearing around the neck and then just behind the shoulder.

I've measured every critical dimension I can think of on the factory loads, factory load empty brass, reloads, and reload empty brass. Every dimension on the reloads is matched or undersized by a small margin. I have tried some reloads with head spacing set 0.002 below that of fired empty factory cases and other reloads set 0.005 below fired empty factory cases. I have also varied crimping between medium and almost non-existent. Modulating these two factors had no meaningful impact on anything I could detect.

The only interesting difference I have found between factory loads and my reloads is the brass case length after firing. Brass from factory loads doesn't seem to grow in length more than 0.003 during firing. However, my reload brass grows up to about 0.010 during firing. In other words, my brass is flowing a lot more on my reloads than it does on factory loads. Is there any way that this indicates why my fired brass gets stuck in the chamber?

Given my load data and velocities, is it possible that my loads are too hot? 43.0 grains of Varget should not be too high for this bullet, at least according to all the information I've collected from publications and also from other shooters. Lower charges do not seem to suffer less from the problem I'm experiencing here. What's going on????

"Brass was deprimed, full-length resized, and then trimmed to 2.015 with a Giraud."

Isn't that SAAMI max? Have you tried trimming to 2.005?

Last edited:
"Brass was deprimed, full-length resized, and then trimmed to 2.015 with a Giraud."

Isn't that SAAMI max? Have you tried trimming to 2.005?

This ^^^
And there is no reason to crimp rounds for a bolt gun.

Last edited:
That's fair.

If this was a tighter chamber and wasn't a factory Remington barrel, I probably would have worried more about the length of the case. Maybe I ought to trim a bit further to see if that changes anything.

--Once-fired Prvi Partizan Win 308 brass that had been shot by me in either the Rem 700 or my DSA SA58

It's hard to troubleshoot remotely, but I'll WAG this might be a contributing factor to your issue.

Even if you FL size, the die cannot size down the last little bit of the casehead. The casehead is expanding and getting stuck in the chamber. You need to segregate cases to individual chambers.

It's hard to troubleshoot remotely, but I'll WAG this might be a contributing factor to your issue.

Even if you FL size, the die cannot size down the last little bit of the casehead. The casehead is expanding and getting stuck in the chamber. You need to segregate cases to individual chambers.

That's another good point. However, if this was the main contributing factor, I would expect to have some cases get stuck while others would cycle normally. As best as I can tell, they all have a problem, some a little worse than others, but none of them cycle like they should.

Brass from factory loads doesn't seem to grow in length more than 0.003 during firing. However, my reload brass grows up to about 0.010 during firing. In other words, my brass is flowing a lot more on my reloads than it does on factory loads. Is there any way that this indicates why my fired brass gets stuck in the chamber?

Savagesweat, how are you measuring the factory brass case length before you fire it? Or are they coming out 2.018 and your reloads are 2.025 after firing?

Savagesweat, how are you measuring the factory brass case length before you fire it? Or are they coming out 2.018 and your reloads are 2.025 after firing?

I measured the case length before firing (pulling the bullet on a new round allowed me to verify this using a good grip with calipers) and found them to start out at about 2.005. After firing, they grow to around 2.008.

The reloads were growing from 2.015 to as long as 2.025, but sometimes only as much as 2.020.

I have run into problems with brass fired in one rifle ding the exact same thing as is happening in your gun. Get some virgin brass and dedicate it strictly to your gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Another suggestion if the case is sticking in the chamber near the head of the cartridge is to use a Redding small base body die. This only resizes near the case head, and doesn't touch the neck of the cartridge. I've used this with success when I've encountered similar problems. They also offer a full length body die if you don't want to go down to small base dimensions, but still want to size further down near the bottom of the cartridge.

try different brass...i bought some PPU match ammo and it was tight in my rem700 also...even after FL sizing and reloading, it would be tight...tossed it and have used lapua, hornady, win, Remington, and federal brass with no issues

The OP mentioned that the bolt was closing on his reloads without much difficulty. Maybe I am missing something here, but I'm not sure how a small base die would help. If the problem was expansion near the base of the case then he would have difficulty chambering the round in the first place.

I'll put my .02¢ in. See if you can get 10-20 Winchester, Hornady, Remington or Federal (last choice) cases and reload them. See if they act the same way as the PP cases.

If you're near me, I'll give you some of each.

***Edit*** I forgot to ask. What does your chamber look like? Any markings on the fired brass from a rough chamber? Give the chamber a good scrubbing, dry and try again.

Last edited:
I recently had a similar problem with my Savage. The headspace was too much, and the brass was expanding a lot upon firing; had to beat the bolt open and then the fired case would not re-chamber easily. I think the chamber was not clean or carbon in the throat when I initially set the head space at what I thought was .003"; it was .006" during the problem. Cleaned the chamber/throat thoroughly and reset back to .003" and all is well with the same batch of loads.

You need to get a headspace comparator to measure the shoulder on factory rounds that run well vs your reloads, then setup your sizing die using this dimension to insure the proper fit. Works the same as setting seating length off the ogive, except for the case shoulder.

Every sticking problem I have had has been related to the case headspace dimension, and I have headed off most problems by checking the headspace when neck-sizing to indicate when to FL size, and then setting the FL die for this dimension. I don't know how you can load consistently without a headspace comparator!

Your description is that of an overloaded case. Hornady lists 41 grains as a max non redzone powder charge of Varget for their 178 Amax. Do you have a reloading manual?

Your description is that of an overloaded case. Hornady lists 41 grains as a max non redzone powder charge of Varget for their 178 Amax. Do you have a reloading manual?

Hodgdon lists the max load with Varget and a 175 SMK as 45 gr. Hornady's data seems exceptionally conservative as I can't imagine the difference between a 175 Sierra and a 178 Hornady being 4 full grains of powder. Even in thick walled military brass vs commercial brass.

I have run into problems with brass fired in one rifle ding the exact same thing as is happening in your gun. Get some virgin brass and dedicate it strictly to your gun.

That's worth trying. Until I can get some virgin brass, at the very least, I'm going to try some other headstamps.

Hodgdon lists the max load with Varget and a 175 SMK as 45 gr. Hornady's data seems exceptionally conservative as I can't imagine the difference between a 175 Sierra and a 178 Hornady being 4 full grains of powder. Even in thick walled military brass vs commercial brass.

Hodgedon suggested that the Prvi Partizan brass might be thicker NATO brass, which is causing a pressure spike due to the smaller volume inside the cases. I had heard of such problems arising when loading 5.56 brass, but I had not been aware that this was an issue when loading 308. My brass is stamped 308, not 7.62, so I never even considered that internal volume would be a problem with my 308 loads. I will have to try some weak loads with maybe 40-41 grains to see if the problem goes away. If this really is a resizing problem, I would expect to see the same issue even in weak sauce loads.

Ppu brass is pretty good quality, but, is pretty bloody thick too, if you want to use it, you'll need to work a load for that brass. I run nearly 2grains less than Lapua brass to avoid pressure signs. I think I was running 41.8gr under a 175smk iirc

Regards

Pete

I had some issues with PPU brass as well. I was running 178 AMAX's atop 43.5 grains of varget, and OAL was loaded to 2.80. My Savage 10FP plan and simple you couldn't get the brass out of the chamber. I pulled a bunch and check powder since this was mid load from Hodgons website but high for the Lyman book. Powder we dead on with my Dillon beam scale(was using a smart reloading powder thrower/scale so figured maybe it was off as it is no chargemaster but also cost me very little). I ran some in my 700 SPS varmint and was getting a sticky bolt but not like the savage. Primers in both were little flat and some had small craters with the savage but I think I agree with Swamp Donkey. I found if I knocked the charge back to 42 grains I was ok. I have since started collecting other brass to load with after all the issue since it seems PPU wasn't something I wanted to waste time on with all the loads out there for Winchester, Federal, and Laupa stuff. It seems like PPU is thicker then even Winchester and I didn't want to waste time on it.

Hodgedon suggested that the Prvi Partizan brass might be thicker NATO brass, which is causing a pressure spike due to the smaller volume inside the cases. I had heard of such problems arising when loading 5.56 brass, but I had not been aware that this was an issue when loading 308. My brass is stamped 308, not 7.62, so I never even considered that internal volume would be a problem with my 308 loads. I will have to try some weak loads with maybe 40-41 grains to see if the problem goes away. If this really is a resizing problem, I would expect to see the same issue even in weak sauce loads.

True with all NATO/7.62 brass having less volume than commercial 308, just need to adjust recipe accordingly.

Actually some 308 factory may be higher pressure than 7.62 (may, not all). In 5.56 it is opposite. 5.56 NATO can (often) be higher pressure than 223 loads.

Have you tried measuring the length of your chamber? As in what is your longest brass that will function before it's fired? Sinclair's sells a little thing that looks like a small caliber bullet with a rim formed on it. You cut the brass like 0.100" short after full length sizing it. Drill out the primer pocket so you can get a hooked wire in to remove it from the chamber if it's tight. They sell for 5 or $6 and are bullet diameter specific. Checking that measurement is the only way to know for sure.

I looked it up and 2.015" is the listed max length on a 308.

Good luck. I've been there myself.
Victor

PPU cases never functioned in my 700. i stopped using them years ago because issues like you are having. As suggested and what im going with is the case pressure from the thicker case(even thicker than lc). Definitly get some different brass to try out. go to the gun range and look on the ground for some 308 brass take it home, clean it, inspect it, check the headspace, bump shoulder back just enough to chamber easily, deprime, clean again, trim to 2.008, prime charge 42.8grains varget with the 178 amax and try to shoot again. I'm betting the bolt will come back easily. Then your problem will be solved. Buy some new cases and dedicate them to each gun. And for the record my 44.4 grains varget 178 grain amax out of my 24" barrel gets about 2750 fps.

Yeah, it's gotta be the brass. I just tried dropping the charge down to 42.5 grains of Varget under a lighter bullet, the nosler 168 gr HPBT, and the cases still get stuck in the chamber after firing (even though they seem to chamber just fine).

One thing that annoys me to no end is that when I shot the Prvi Partizan 168 grain HPBT factory loads (which cycled just fine), I was measuring higher velocities than when I loaded this brass up with the 168 Noslers. So I'm getting lower velocities using a comparable bullet and the same brass at pressure levels that seem to be ballooning the brass out enough to get it stuck in the chamber. The factory loads for this Prvi Partizan stuff must have used a slower powder or some other trickery to get higher velocity with less pressure.

I'm bummed now since I've got a bunch of this brass all prepped and a lot of Varget.

Any known good sources for once-fired Winchester or Federal brass? A lot of the stuff I see for sale is more of this military surplus.

Well, now I'm more confused than ever. I measured the case volume of some Federal cases (gold medal match, I think) and compared them to some PPU cases, all prepped using the same procedure. The Federal cases measured 3.48cc and the PPU came in at 3.58cc. I didn't believe the results, so I repeated it several times and found the same thing. The Prvi Partizan cases actually have a LARGER internal volume than commercial Federal. What the heck?

a 178 a max and 175 smk are not the same bullet. any number of differences in bullets the same weight can affect how much pressure they make with their powder charge. this is why you are supposed to work up loads any time you change a component.

easy cambering and hard bolt lift are signs of a load that went over pressure. i would agree try trimming he brass some more because at those charge weights i would not expect such drastic pressure signs. i suspect as others that your brass is too long and your chamber is a good tight one.

also fast growing brass is indicative of high pressure loads

a 178 a max and 175 smk are not the same bullet. any number of differences in bullets the same weight can affect how much pressure they make with their powder charge. this is why you are supposed to work up loads any time you change a component.

easy cambering and hard bolt lift are signs of a load that went over pressure. i would agree try trimming he brass some more because at those charge weights i would not expect such drastic pressure signs. i suspect as others that your brass is too long and your chamber is a good tight one.

also fast growing brass is indicative of high pressure loads

I agree 100% about different bullets introducing new variables and a load workup. I mentioned the weight because it should give a good idea of range of powder charges to expect. 4 grains of powder is a HUGE difference between loads with two bullets of similar weight. If signs of pressure are appearing 4 grains sooner than a with a similar bullet I would be looking elsewhere for the explanation.

Last edited: